1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > Blade Forum

Old 05-27-2012, 06:12 AM

Extrema Ratio

I recently had 2 of these, the Nemesis and the Combat Folder (MCR??). Very heavy, sharpened "chisel" blade knives (very thick ie 1/4 inch). Must say that I was very impressed with the heavy duty nature of these things. I suspect them the toughest knives I've seen. They pretty much make other makes seem "poseurs" as to lock up and potential heavy duty use. Priced at several times the cost of Spydercos, Benchmade etc. Some cost way more than even Chris Reeves Sebanza folders, which is to say a LOT. Just thought I'd pass my impressions along. If you have a lot of money, and you want TOUGH, I suspect you would like the Extrema Ratio line a lot. I generally feel a thinner blade cuts better and is overall handier. But if you had to dig a fox hole, or chisel your way out of prison through a concrete wall, with a folder your only tool. The Extrema's might be the one you want.
Heavy duty does not describe these folders.

Last edited by mes228; 05-27-2012 at 06:15 AM.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:03 AM

although 1/4 of steel is thick for a knife...

there's tougher out there, how's 7/16's of 5160 steel grab ya' ?
It's not called a PryBar for nothing...

Old 05-27-2012, 07:12 AM

as far as folders are concerned...not sure if you would want to use one to pry yourself out of anything. But i understand your excitement, I too like some heft to a knife, folder or not (not much into folders - saw a guy almost lose a couple fingers when one well known name brand folder closed on his hand)

N690 is what the Italians use for those Extremas...nice steel, not the best, but nice. Basically VG10 but they call it something else in Europe
Old 05-28-2012, 04:18 PM

Knife

No, I do not really like the Extrema Ratio overly much. I simply had not seen a knife as robust, as expensive - and I sell many brands of knives. I did like the lock up though. Personally I prefer a larger "light" knife with a relatively thin blade of good steel. In most every "using" circumstance a thin blade is superior in my opinion. My personal carry is the older, large Benchmade Dejavu with S30V steel. I do wish it had some other type of lock (it's a liner lock). I've never had any problem with liner locks but I've never really stressed one either. I've been told they can fail under abuse by a number of people.