1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 05-15-2012, 01:46 AM

General 1911 post (With questions)

To preface, Mods, I posted this here because it covers a range of 1911's that from what I see doesnt really fit in any one category. If there is someplace else it should have been posted, please move it. Thanks.

As I had posted in the Colt section a few days ago, I had set and made up my mind on a Gold Cup National Match for a couple of reasons. One I had never owned a Colt, plenty of other 1911's but no Colt, and wanted one and my LGS has layaway so I figured I would put half down and pay it off and get it end of July. But, things changed and my wife said she would pay $1200, so as mentioned in the old post, that gave me options. On top of that, it is extremely hard to find a Colt, any Colt 1911 here anywhere and the one I was looking at went out the door today and I know of one other, used, locally that I may look at tomorrow. I have talked to a lot of friends that actually know something about 1911's, I do, but not as much as them, and I am not real familiar with some brands other than having read reviews on them and such. So, here are a few comments with follow up questions.

My price range maxes out at $1200 give or take a few dollars. Some 1911's that have been recommended to me are:

STI. Problem there is I havent seen even a used STI under $1600. I dont know of anywhere you might even be able to find one in my price range. If anyone does, please let me know. Does STI even make a Model that might be in my price range used?

Les Baer. I do like the Les Baer Concept II, however, again, cheapest I can find for used is $1500 online. For just a few hundred more you can buy a brand new later Concept. Again, not in my price range.

Buy a Springfield GI and have it Customized. Well, I already have a Loaded Stainless. And after buying the GI that would leave my budget about $500, so what upgrades could you have done, that the Loaded doesnt already have, for $500? Plus I am not really interested in owning another GI, I have 2 Rock Tacticals and one Rock GI and thats close enough for what I need.

Wilson Combat. I know very little of these 1911's, primarily because I have always thought they were well out of my price range. I am told though that Wilson Combat 1911's are Semi Custom (I dont know yet one way or the other, going to research it), and I am not sure if there is a model in my range either. If there is, what would I be looking for?

Para. Already have one.

Kimber. I was handling the STS and TLE at my LGS today. I like them both and they are both within my price range. I just sold my Custom II because I really didnt care for it. (Nothing wrong with the gun, just personal preference). One thing I was wondering about was my LGS has a brand spankin new STS, yet from everything I have read they are out of production.

So does anyone have any other suggestions, or suggestions or leads on something like an STI or Les Baer in my range?

Thanks
J
Old 05-15-2012, 02:15 AM

Iím an avid shooter. Brands you mention are quality.

1911s with: Beaver tail, Novak sites, Extended safety, Serrated front strap, aggressive grips like VZ are far more enjoyable to shoot well.

So keep those things in mind when looking. You would have wasted a lot of money buying something only to upgrade it later, when you could have had something out the door with those upgrades.

I have two Colts collecting dust, one a model 70 from 1978 and a Commercial model from 1947. Both in GI trim, and both not nearly as enjoyable to shoot as my Les Baer or Springer TRP.

I think if you get a 1911 with all the mods I mentioned it would take a very skilled shooter to appreciate the nuances the quality of a Les Baer or Wilson brings to the table.

I say have the front strap checkered on your Loaded, and call it done. Thatís about all it is missing from what I mention above, correct.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:25 AM

Also, did I count correctly? You have four 1911’s, the Loaded being your best one? I’d dump the Para and two RAIs and add that to your budget for something you’ll shoot a million enjoyable rounds out of.

I understand. Some guys like guns. Some guys like shooting. I like shooting finely made guns. I see no reason for a Para and two RIAs when you keep throwing out upper tier names like Les and Wilson.

Anyone here think an RIA or Para is ever going to see the light of day again when the owner has a Wilson or Baer?

Last edited by Snoopy47; 05-15-2012 at 02:27 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy47 View Post

Anyone here think an RIA or Para is ever going to see the light of day again when the owner has a Wilson or Baer?
Nope.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:02 AM

No; I don't think the Para or RIA's would see the light of day ever again.

That's some good advice.

And Baer is likely the one you'll find in your price range (used).

Wilsons are the priciest of all the "big name" 1911's.

Rick
Old 05-15-2012, 08:18 AM

Good advice....

OP...Research Wilson Combat...it will cost $1200+ more over your budget ($2400+) for a used one....IMO you will be more than happy.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:51 PM

I looked at a Springfield Range Officer the other day and it was nice, price was 825, I dont know if that is low or high, but the gun was new. I bought a Les Baer Pll for 1300 like new awhile back.

Lucky
Old 05-15-2012, 12:55 PM

Dan Wesson Valor/VBOB is closer than Wilson to your range. Best 1911 in the $1300-2000 range.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:50 PM

A series 70 Colt GCNM, early 1970's model would fit you really well, this would be the finest and most accurate 1911 of that time period. There are lots of them usually on gunbroker in that price range, a good gunsmith that will buy for you will work.
I found mine there a couple yrs back, 72 model, like new for less than you have now to spend. I will never let mine go for any price, the slide is smooth as glass and accurate with 200gr lswc and target loads.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:24 PM
Banned

STI Spartan can be had for $625+ shipping
STI Trojan can be had for $1008+ shipping
From Dawson Precision.

The $1600+ are typically their 2011 models which are double stack 1911s... and even $1600 is a little high... typically you can find a good deal and for $1600 get a whole USPSA limited rig/setup with mags and holster/pouches/etc.

MIke.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:31 PM

You started out to buy a Colt, and now you're looking at other brands because Colts are hard to come by. I know the feeling, trust me. I know it well.

How good is your relationship with your LGS?

I sat down and looked at the different Colt Models and decided which ones I'd like to have. Gold Cup, Combat Elite, etc. Then I hit my LGS. He agreed to order a few and I'd take the first one that came in. He had no problem ordering all of them for me, and he wasn't worried even if they all got there at once. As he put it, they're hard to come by and once on the shelf will only last a couple of days anyway.

In the meantime, I also told him I'd look at anything used that came in. I waited a few months and was rewarded with a used SS Gold Cup in perfect condition with the box and all the fixin's for $900. No brainer.

Since then, a few of the ones we ordered have come in. He was right, they're out the door almost as quick.

So if you're in good standing at the shop, maybe you could work out something similar. It wouldn't hurt to ask, anyway.