1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > Legal & Political News

Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 12:16 AM

Gander Mountain Caves to anti gunners.

Got this in an email you do not have to worry about copyright issues the NRA wants this news to spread: Gander Mountain has gotten my last dollar.

CHANGE IN VENUE FOR NRA-ILA WORKSHOPS!
Host Venue Caves to Anti-gun Pressure and Cancels
Dear Wisconsin NRA Member:
Anti-gun activists bombarded Gander Mountain with bullying phone calls and emails regarding this week’s planned NRA-ILA Grassroots Workshops, urging them to cancel. Despite NRA-ILA’s long history of holding Grassroots-Election Workshops at Gander Mountains all over the country, and in Wisconsin, Gander Mountain has caved and canceled NRA-ILA’s Workshops at their Wausau location on Tuesday May 15, and their Eau Claire location on Wednesday May 16.
Despite these efforts to silence NRA-ILA and gun owners in Wisconsin, we have rescheduled these events. It is now MORE IMPORTANT THAN EVER to take a stand in support of freedom and Gov. Walker by attending one of these Workshops. Show our opponents we will not be silenced!
We encourage you to join us at these new locations and prove to these anti-gun activists that gun owners in Wisconsin will not be silenced. Now more than ever it is important that you attend one of our FREE workshops and invite every NRA member that you know to attend!

Here are the details:
Monday May 14, 2012 (NO CHANGE) 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. Stadium View Banquet Hall & Conference Center 1963 HOLMGREN WAY GREEN BAY, WI 54304 920-884-3159 http://www.theStadiumView.com Register: https://nraila.org/workshops/secure/green-bay-2012.aspx
***NEW LOCATION****
Tuesday May 15, 2012 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. Cimino's Gun and Archery
N306 Tree Lane
Merrill, Wisconsin 715-536-1021
***NEW LOCATION****
Wednesday May 16, 2012 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. The Plaza Hotel & Suites
1202 W. Clairemont Avenue
Eau Claire, WI 54701
715-834-3181
http://www.plazaeauclaire.com/
At these meetings, NRA-ILA staff will lay out our plans to re-elect Scott Walker as governor of Wisconsin and discuss how you can become even more involved with protecting Second Amendment Rights in Wisconsin. You will also get to meet your NRA-ILA Campaign Field Representatives Annette Olson (Eau Claire region) or Hugh Fike (Green Bay region), who will be working in their respective areas to re-elect Gov. Walker in June, and other pro-gun candidates in the November elections.
These meetings are absolutely free and beverages and snacks will be provided. The events will begin at 6:00 p.m., and end at 8:00 pm. Please make plans to attend and encourage your fellow NRA members to attend as well.
To register for one of these free events,
please click one of the links above or call the NRA-ILA Grassroots Division at (800) 392-VOTE (8683).
If you wish to contact your NRA-ILA Grassroots Coordinator Miranda Bond, with questions, please contact her at 703-267-1183 or [email protected].
You may also contact your NRA-ILA Campaign Field Representative Annette Olson (Eau Claire region) at [email protected]/715-760-0665, and Hugh Fike (Green Bay region) at
[email protected]/707-217-2014 to volunteer to assist with our mutual efforts.
We look forward to seeing you at one of our Workshops!
Yours in freedom, NRA-ILA Grassroots Division
Old 05-15-2012, 08:42 AM

I must say I'm not surprised. My disappointment in Gander Mtn has grown over the last few years. Their prices seem high, especially on ammo, reloading supplies etc. The store near me in Joliet IL is so frustrating to shop at I often walk out empty handed. Theyhave clsed the gunsmith dept and drastically reduced firearm inventoty. Store staff are lazy and not helpful, management is ineffective, merchandised is not priced.
I would not be surprised to see this store closed soon, the parking lot is always empty.
The fact that they are caving to antigunners for political reasons means they are making a choice to favor that groups business in the future.
I much prefer Cabela's or Bass Pro.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:44 AM

I don't care for GM anyway. They always have the highest prices.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordofbarbeque View Post
I don't care for GM anyway. They always have the highest prices.
I see we been to the same one. They are just plain nut's with the their sky high price's. I'll go and fondle their gun's since they have no trigger lock so I can dry fire them. I buy most of my handgun's from Academy Sport's, Ft. Thompson and Don's Weaponary $50-100 cheaper than Gander.

You would think as much revenue as Gander revieve's from shooting sport's they would have told them to stick it where the sun don't shine. That just made me even more anti-Gander.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:47 AM

+1 to this not being surprising

The Gander Mountain in Wichita has a firearms department which is rapidly slipping down hill. My Sister was in there asking questions about some of the differences in firearms and when she asked about the Ruger sr9 as opposed to the springfield the only answer the Gander guy would give is "you don't want that it's cheaper". Plus as markbob said the prices are high.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:55 AM

If you really wanted to let them now that we're peeved we need a petition from gun owners, we need to show them that instead of keeping a bunch of idiots that never shop there anyway, they're driving off legitimate customers. Hit them where they live, as a big box store they want/need profits. I propose we go about forming an outright boycott of Gander Mountain and get as many signatures as we can and send it to their main office. I may not always agree with the NRA but Gander mountain caving into people who likely as not didn't shop there any damn way? Despicable and the finest example of poltroonery I've seen in some time.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines." -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 05-15-2012, 09:11 AM

Their pricing on ammunition and guns drove me away some years ago.No chance I'd even consider going back now.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:27 AM

I love going to Gander Mountain, they have a great variety of man stuff to look at with great presentation too, and once I find something I like I can just walk across the street to Academy and buy it for 15-20% less, if they don't have it I can go online and get it way cheaper I just have to wait a few days...

Thats my take, so thanks Gander Mtn for the free presentations.

P.S. its a give a away that they are being swayed, they don't even allow their range officer to carry concealed?
Old 05-15-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nac4788 View Post
P.S. its a give a away that they are being swayed, they don't even allow their range officer to carry concealed?

I don't care anything about Gander Mountain, but that's a whole other non-related issue of standard/common employment policy. Surely there's plenty of relevant things to ding them for.

That said, it's funny they describe them as "grassroots workshops" and not pro Scott Walker events. The letter also states that anti-gun folks are who slammed GM, which gets exactly what they wanted and are getting, people up in arms posting this all over the place in forums, blogs etc.

This is a political thing, not an anti-gun thing and when Gander Mountain found out, they pulled the plug, rightfully so. No business needs to be tied to political activity like that.

Those that oppose Walker and want him recalled are who slammed Gander Mountain, according to Gander Mountain who also claim they were never told the "workshops" were actually pro Governor Walker "rallies" intended to build and rally pro Walker folks.

You can't take what the NRA says as face value; you have to dig a little and find out what they're spinning. It's a political organization.....they do what they do.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old 05-15-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRJim View Post
I don't care anything about Gander Mountain, but that's a whole other non-related issue of standard/common employment policy. Surely there's plenty of relevant things to ding them for.

That said, it's funny they describe them as "grassroots workshops" and not pro Scott Walker events. The letter also states that anti-gun folks are who slammed GM, which gets exactly what they wanted and are getting, people up in arms posting this all over the place in forums, blogs etc.

This is a political thing, not an anti-gun thing and when Gander Mountain found out, they pulled the plug, rightfully so. No business needs to be tied to political activity like that.

Those that oppose Walker and want him recalled are who slammed Gander Mountain, according to Gander Mountain who also claim they were never told the "workshops" were actually pro Governor Walker "rallies" intended to build and rally pro Walker folks.

You can't take what the NRA says as face value; you have to dig a little and find out what they're spinning. It's a political organization.....they do what they do.

Not following the logic here SR. If a business believes a politician is good for their business, why shouldn't they be "tied to political activity". If I am in the guns/hunting/outdoors business, I sure don't want some sissified, gun hating, radical environmental left wing type governing me. I want to someone who appreciates my business and my products and who isn't going to legislate me out of business. The idea that business is supposed to be non-political when the government is ever increasing their control over the private sector seems wrong in all ways. I can certainly understand why a business like this would be pro-Walker considering the alternatives in Wisconsin.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT77 View Post
Not following the logic here SR. If a business believes a politician is good for their business, why shouldn't they be "tied to political activity". If I am in the guns/hunting/outdoors business, I sure don't want some sissified, gun hating, radical environmental left wing type governing me. I want to someone who appreciates my business and my products and who isn't going to legislate me out of business. The idea that business is supposed to be non-political when the government is ever increasing their control over the private sector seems wrong in all ways. I can certainly understand why a business like this would be pro-Walker considering the alternatives in Wisconsin.

Very good posting Sir.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:35 AM

I have stayed away from GM for years now.

My opinion on the NRA cancellation is that the Antis are getting what they want by silencing Pro Gunners. GM has provided a small conference room for use by anyone and various events are put together and held there without so much a peep.

Only now we are finding out about this?

It may very well be to the Shooting Ranges and Gunshops to fill the breach in the lines by promoting and getting People involved. It will be easier to make it happen in the smaller shops than the large Chain stores like GM.

GM has made cuts in the store and it is rather obvious to anyone with ears and eyes. I support the idea that the prices are rather high and some of the staff can use some better safety training (Flagging, closed actions etc.)

There is one thing GM does well. A big sign saying CHL's are allowed to carry hot and locked inside the store without challenge and informs all people entering. If the Walmart walk is the rite of passage, then GM would be a Graduate course.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:27 AM

Location: West Virginia, surrounded by good folk. Still trying to figure out the rebel flag deal in a state that fought for the Union LOL.
Quote:
Nothing like a little common sense to trip some folks up
"Only two things in this world keeps a chickens ass off the ground and its not wings"
Old 05-15-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
A business is in the business of doing business, not pitting customers against each other or against them over political differences. That's bad business.

The NRA tried to hole a political rallies in their stores and pass them off as generic "grass roots workshops" and Gander Mountain found out from political opponents of Walker, so they pulled the plug. I don't blame them for not wanting to be part of something that is polarizing to their customers and deceitful to them.

And the NRA's tactics have worked again. This thread demonstrates how effective it is for them to say the words "anti gun" and deceive people into turning on GM. It's what they do well, and it's funny to see how easy it is for them to get people to snap right in line for them.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old 05-15-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
A business is in the business of doing business, not pitting customers against each other or against them over political differences. That's bad business.

The NRA tried to hole a political rallies in their stores and pass them off as generic "grass roots workshops" and Gander Mountain found out from political opponents of Walker, so they pulled the plug. I don't blame them for not wanting to be part of something that is polarizing to their customers and deceitful to them.

And the NRA's tactics have worked again. This thread demonstrates how effective it is for them to say the words "anti gun" and deceive people into turning on GM. It's what they do well, and it's funny to see how easy it is for them to get people to snap right in line for them.
The problem here is I have a pretty good understanding of what is going on in Wisconsin in terms of the political forces trying to get Walker removed. You have a massive effort by a variety of labor unions from all around the country. They have thrown the kitchen sink at Walker and spent tons of money doing it. And they are rather intimidating as they do it. I have no doubt these unions are the primary weapon being used to "convince" GM with paid phone banks of union thugs and militant teachers screaming the loudest.

As I said, any business has the right to be politically involved to support politicians that are friendly to their business. The alternatives to Walker in Wisconsin are the far left wing anti-gun Democrat politicians that put businesses like GM in jeopardy. I wish GM had held the line against these union fascists but apparently the pressure was great and they caved. Hate to see leftists win these battles.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:

Very well put!
Old 05-15-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
I would add that the people most likely to atted this meeting are the people most likely to make purchases while at the store. Alot more likely than the protesters who possibly have never set foot in a GM.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:31 AM

I live in the Chicago area. Sportmart went down this same path about 25 years ago. At that time they had very good fishing and hunting deptartments with some firearms and reloading supplies. I wandered in there one day after not being around for a few months and the guns were gone only shotgun shells remained, no reloading. When I asked I was told it was because of the gun control push in California that corporate "new" was coming this way. I told the manager they obviously did not want my business and left.
I didn't set foot in Sportmart again for 20 years. Now the hunting dept is gone completely, fishing is all but gone and all they sell are golf, tennis, baseball, football, etc and fancy bicycle clothing. Many of there stores have closed.
Gander Mtn just might be making the same choices.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:03 AM

I concur with all the comments of Gander being overpriced. In the Springfield, IL area, they are way overpriced on their guns relative to Scheels, Dicks, Farm & Home, and LGS's. I can buy new guns cheaper than I can buy the same model of a used gun they offer for sale. And don't get me started on their price for ammo! It's crazy. I don't know how they stay in business. I haven't been in their store in months.

And apparently Gander doesn't understand their customer base. They shouldn't be concerned with anti-gunners, no matter how much noise they make to them, as they most likely make up a small part of their customer base. The pro-gunners, on the other hand, most likely make up the majority of their customer base.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:01 AM

I agree with the pricing listed in many of the posts above, Gander has let me down a few times with poor stocking and prices that working folks cant pay. I am like Nac above, go in and look around then go down the street to purchase at Academy.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:14 AM

Well folks like Ted don't help with most folks associating his tirades as the "face" for the NRA... It seems that the NRA is being demonized---to be honest I would not put a NRA sign in my yard or vehicle anymore.

Don't really blame them.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:42 PM

As a Wisconsinite, I can tell you that politics gets WAY out of hand here. I lean right, but I have many friends and family who are lefties. It is not atypical to hear someone screaming bloody murder about someone who disagreed with them politically. It's kind of ridiculous.

That being said, I think it's a very poor business move for GM to make. I live very close to their "gun world" store, and whenever I go there I see nothing but pick up trucks with NRA stickers.

That being said, their ammo is way too expensive. Nearly 33% more than the LGS & Range I go to in Waukesha, WI. As a conservative, I make it a point to avoid "big box" retailers in general... Even better if I can throw a couple extra bucks to the LGS where I go to practice..
Old 05-15-2012, 01:34 PM

I'll leave it as this, since there are those that get it, and those that are under the NRA's spell.

The title of this thread is wrong. GM made a smart decision after finding out the NRA wasn't telling them truth about what they were doing with their "workshops". It's political, not anti-gun, but the NRA knows how to push some of y'alls buttons.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
I'll leave it as this, since there are those that get it, and those that are under the NRA's spell.

The title of this thread is wrong. GM made a smart decision after finding out the NRA wasn't telling them truth about what they were doing with their "workshops". It's political, not anti-gun, but the NRA knows how to push some of y'alls buttons.
SR, I am not an NRA kool aid drinker, but businesses like Gander Mountain need to get more involved, not less involved, in politics to protect their interests. If Walker loses, it will result in an anti-2A governor being in office, Tom Barrett. As mayor of Milwaukee, Barrett was a member of Mayors Against Illegal Guns, which of course was started by that great supporter of the 2A, Michael Bloomberg. Is there any wonder why they were attempting to support Scott Walker considering the alternative? Gun owners and gun businesses need to sharpen up, get involved, and know their friends and their enemies.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
SR, I am not an NRA kool aid drinker, but businesses like Gander Mountain need to get more involved, not less involved, in politics to protect their interests.
I disagree that they should get publicly involved with "that" kind of politics. The NRA was not up front about what they were doing. GM or any business has the choice to let their place be used for political purposes or not. The smart thing to do is the right thing for their business, keep their stores in business, not politics. They can be involved in politics, but they should not at the store and customer facing level, that's what Corp. suits are for.
Closed Thread