1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Springfield Armory

Old 05-14-2012, 08:05 PM

Some questions about my Springfield V16 45 Super?

Hello,

I posted a couple questions about my Springfield V16 45 Super in the Springfield forum, but as friendly and knowledgeable as the folks who frequent that forum are, I still have some unanswered questions. I figured I'd give the general forum a shot and see if some of you folks can help me out.

Pics of the gun in question:

Here are my questions:

First-the front strap checkering: I purchased this from the original owner, he said he ordered the gun, when it showed up at the dealer, the front strap was checkered as the gun was delivered from the factory. Did some of the V16 45 Supers come with a checkered front strap as standard?

Does the checkering look like 20 or 25 LPI? Hand or machine cut? (pure curiosity, I don't care either way, I do like the checkering a lot though.)

Next up: the barrel is definitely one piece, and stainless. I've read of two piece, blued carbon steel barrels in some V16s-is there any rhyme or reason as to which barrel these guns came with?

Last: I've read of bull barrel fitting as well as slide and frame fitting issues with some of the V16s. Mine is fit every bit as well as my Wilson Combat I purchased back in 2000, actually even a bit better. Heck, it's every bit as tight as a friends Baer-and that's darned tight-but the Springfield hasn't skipped a beat in over 1,500 rounds of assorted hollowpoints as well as cheap ball. This is the nicest 1911 I've owned in terms of fit, finish, accuracy and reliability.

Anyone else own one? What have your experiences been?

Thanks for any and all help,

Heekma
Old 05-25-2012, 04:27 PM

The checkered front strap may have been a special order or a limited run. On second thought, the entire V16 production was limited. I have a V12 (so I could use my existing holsters) and while I don't know actual production numbers for either, apparently numbers were not very high. It would be interesting to get data from the factory. I bought my V12 to shoot 45 Super. Added are a Cominolli tungsten Frame Saver guide rod and a 22 lb recoil spring. I do inspect the Frame Saver bumpers at each cleaning. The front strap is smooth, but is covered by Pachmayr wrap around grips...perfect for this gun. This set up will fire +P and 45 Super loads all day without a hiccup. As for accuracy, the bushingless bull barrel could use a tighter fit at the muzzle, but accuracy is acceptable for the short ranges (10 to 50 yds max)for bowling pin shooting or hog hunting in the brush. It seems to like 200 gr Hornady XTP bullets (at appx 1200 fps) better than 185 grainers. Doesn't like cast gas checks as much, but does OK. Maybe one day, I'll have a smithy weld and refit the barrel bearing area or add a Briley bushing like the one on my 945 (if that is possible.)
Gene
Old 06-06-2012, 09:52 PM

V 12 45 Super with Metalform Mags

Last edited by palgeno; 06-06-2012 at 09:57 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:58 PM

The best thing to do would be to call Springfield and give them your serial #. They should be able to give you a lot of information on the pistol. Very nice by the way!
Old 06-07-2012, 12:16 PM

Gorgeous V-16! To me those take a regular longslide to a whole different level.
Remington 870 Express Magnum 12ga
S&W M&P 15 Sport
Old 06-18-2013, 07:45 PM

I bought mine new in 2002 or 2003 and then had the Springfield Custom Shop do a trigger job only because I'm incredibly picky about triggers and then this year had Dawson fit it with fiber optic sights. Love the gun, carry it, shoot it at the range, incredibly accurate and with normal 45 ACP nil recoil. With 45 Super loads it kicks like a normal full sized 45 ACP shooting factory hardball.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:08 PM

I think the checkering is 20 lpi, machine cut.

springfield should be able to tell you whether they did it or it was done later.