1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Sig Sauer

Old 05-06-2012, 05:14 PM

Dilemma? Kimber..SIG

I just picked up a Kimber Ultra Carry Crimson and now possess this and a very nice SIG Ultra Compact. The SIG has checkered front strap, night sights, and a list of other goodies and I like the gun very well. The thing does NOT fit standard leather holsters very well, I have two Galcos, Kramer, and a Sparks, and the gun hangs in all of them despite the various tricks I have tried.

The Kimber,(I have owned several in the past and currently own an Aegis Pro, and a Solo) has only the CTCs, no checkering, NS etc, but fits all my holsters very nice indeed. I got the thing to have a Kimber threesome, but the SIG is an EXCELLENT shooter and nearly 200$ less than a Kimber less equipped. I got to believe the Kimber holds value better...

Any help out there? Anyone have similar nightmares and what was the outcome? Thanks in advance! Are there any clues as to which is the best gun considering they are essentially the same frame, same caliber etc, trying to decide between the two is my dilemma.

Last edited by rangemeister; 05-06-2012 at 07:27 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:05 PM

Was there a question in there somewhere? What are you asking?
Old 05-06-2012, 06:37 PM

Keep the Sig, get rid of the Kimbers, and get a holster built for the Sig...

"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful, and murder respectable and to give the appearance of solidity to pure wind." -- George Orwell
Old 06-05-2012, 05:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by .45 ACP Nut View Post
Keep the Sig, get rid of the Kimbers, and get a holster built for the Sig...
Absolutley! This didn't even require any thought.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:43 PM

Keep both guns......have a holster made for the Sig.....
Old 05-06-2012, 07:30 PM

I have ordered a OWB for the SIG. Just waiting. I also got a Galco N3 as I knew they have a flexible mouth. The problem is that wearing the holster w/o the gun causes the metal in the mouth to reform...
Old 05-06-2012, 07:33 PM

Leather stretches, keep both.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:44 PM

If you guys are going to carry a SIG 1911, why don't you buy a TR model? I like SIG's take on the 1911 with their classic line slide, but if I were going to carry a 1911, I'd buy the traditional model.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FB Si View Post
If you guys are going to carry a SIG 1911, why don't you buy a TR model? I like SIG's take on the 1911 with their classic line slide, but if I were going to carry a 1911, I'd buy the traditional model.
Because I liked the C3 better, and holsters can be custom made....mine is being made now.....
Old 05-06-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1500 View Post
Because I liked the C3 better, and holsters can be custom made....mine is being made now.....
To that I say, "Duh". I was referring to the OP's "dilemma".
Old 05-09-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
I see absolutely no reason for the tone of your response to me....you asked a question, I simply answered it....if you don't like what I say, then don't respond to me....simple.....
Old 05-11-2012, 11:39 AM

I hope the Sig Forum doesn't become another Kimber bashing place.
I was advocate for this Forum (and Sig 1911's) because I believed Sig 1911's to be a quality weapon. My Kimbers have been fantastic. Reliable, accurate, well made.
It's not about this over that. Its about what suits YOU. I've owned different brands, sometimes its hard to choose, at the safe, when heading to the range.

I like SOME of the Sig 1911's, I like SOME of the Kimbers. Not every weapon fits every hand.

These are two FACTORY Sigs I owned few years ago. Notice the factory dehorn on the stainless! Both early examples of what later became "off the shelf" models.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Well with your reply one hour after wizards post and you asking "If you guys are going to carry a SIG 1911, why don't you buy a TR model?"
It seems reasonable to infer the question was for all.... not the op.
Then you come back with "DUH " after you receive a nominal reply?
No one here appreciates your continuing rude comments.
The "TR" model has a stainless frame. We carry C3's and ultra's because their lighter aluminum frame, and available 3.3" barrel. ..........Regards, Troll
Old 05-06-2012, 09:31 PM

I don't think I wouldn't buy a gun because it didn't fit a holster I already have but I can see how convenient it is. Sig 1911's have a lot to offer. I will put it to you like this. If there was a Sig Tac Pac and a Kimber Super Match on the table and I could pick one for free, I would take the Tac Pac. I would take Sig's entry level gun over Kimber's top shelf gun every time. And I like Kimbers. A Sig XO is just as much gun as a Super Match.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:43 PM

Kimbers are, for the most part, well made guns. I wouldn't sell off ones that I already owned to buy a Sig, provided there were no problems with it (and if I owned any Kimbers to begin with, which I don't ), but given the choice I'd take a Sig over a Kimber any day of the week and twice on Sunday. For the premium they charge, I don't care for how much MIM they use. I didn't mention the MIM to start a debate, either...but the hammer and sear made of MIM? No thanks. Sig uses billet tool steel for their FCG parts, and use match grade hammer-forged barrels. You can't beat that for the money you pay.

Get a good quality custom made holster for your Sig, and enjoy it. Leather will form to the Sig profile over time, but I think you'd be better served by getting a holster actually made for it.

"We must carry arms because we value our lives and those of our loved ones, because we will not be dealt with by force or threat of force, and do not live at the pleasure and discretion of the lawless." - Jeff Snyder

Last edited by FrontRangeFuzz; 05-06-2012 at 09:47 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:57 PM

u dont get why people get all freaked out about holster options on these sigs. it isnt hard to find if you really start to look
Old 05-06-2012, 09:59 PM

you got a point, check out N82 Tactical
Old 05-06-2012, 11:17 PM

I guess I have been lucky because every holster I have purchased has fit with a little stretching at least the leather one and the molded fits like it was made for it. Here are a few pics of my rigs.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:26 PM

Custom2, it was not a question of holster fit as to why the Kimber was purchased, it was simply a good buy I could not resist. I really like the SIG and for the money I spent on it, the Kimber clan would not even give a person the time of day. I guess I should suck it in, get the correct holster and quit spending money and spinning my wheels on the "not right" for the gun holsters.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangemeister View Post
I really like the SIG and for the money I spent on it, the Kimber clan would not even give a person the time of day.
All the more reason I'm happier with my Sig. I was considering a Kimber Warrior as a duty weapon, but after reading about the Sigs and doing my research, I couldn't be happier with the TacOps. Brand myopia is a sad thing when it prevents folks from seeing a great thing at a great price.

"We must carry arms because we value our lives and those of our loved ones, because we will not be dealt with by force or threat of force, and do not live at the pleasure and discretion of the lawless." - Jeff Snyder
Old 05-07-2012, 01:54 PM

Garrett industries builds holsters for any pistol, with/without rail etc. Oh, only if you like kydex.

http://garrettindustries.mybigcommerce.com/

Old 05-08-2012, 04:06 AM

Man, after reading this thread I am thinking about postponing my purchase of a new long gun so I can buy a 3rd 1911! Sounds like I need a Sig! Anyone know if they use a firing pin block (like a series 80 colt would)? Kinda into my 70s type actions. Thanks for the good read!
Old 05-08-2012, 07:30 AM

Yes, the Sig's have the series 80 type system.
Easily bypassed with this; http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...ot-Filler-each
Old 05-11-2012, 11:49 AM

I wouldn't call "bashing" discussing the facts about how things are built. Obviously, all 1911 manufacturers do not use the same processes, materials, and hand-fitting.

It is obvious to anyone that has researched it that SIG 1911's are a better value (you get higher quality for your money) than Kimber. That is not "bashing", that is a fact.

It seems that since you own Kimbers that you are taking an emotional point of view, and not a logical one.

When I researched 1911's, having not owned one last year, I ended up with a SIG. If Kimber or some other company would have been a better value, I would have bought another brand.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't call "bashing" discussing the facts about how things are built. Obviously, all 1911 manufacturers do not use the same processes, materials, and hand-fitting.

It is obvious to anyone that has researched it that SIG 1911's are a better value (you get higher quality for your money) than Kimber. That is not "bashing", that is a fact.

It seems that since you own Kimbers that you are taking an emotional point of view, and not a logical one.

When I researched 1911's, having not owned one last year, I ended up with a SIG. If Kimber or some other company would have been a better value, I would have bought another brand.
There are no "facts" to this. Hand fitting might be better in some areas, but it does not assure better quality. Depends on who does the fitting. Lesser quality cast, or quality control on steel parts, will not match high quality MIM. Consistant quality control, or higher quality inital design, will provide a superior product in the long run. All research is not equal, and will not assure comparative results. I won't say anything negative about Sig 1911's. I won't say anything negative about Kimbers either. I WILL say that in my (VERY considerable) experiance, with BOTH, they are both fine production weapons.
You chose a Sig. That is the only "fact". There is some bias regarding the non traditional external extractor on Sigs. There are many that believe a 1911 with a trigger associated "Series 80", firing pin safety cannot achieve a trigger with the smooth quality of the Swartz type firing pin safety. Many repeat the myths surrounding MIM parts, ignoring the tens of millions of rounds fired from Kimbers, and others with MIM parts.
There are many very subtle differences that drive the competition in 1911 manufacture. I like the differences, I like discovering the differences. I'm not alone in that. I have owned enough Sig 1911's and Kimber 1911's to assure anyone with reasonable discretion, one is NOT better than the other. They are
different within the brand, and within the models offered. Choose wisely for what you seek. I'm glad you found a Sig you're happy with.
I believe YOU, to have the emotional response, with loyalty to your choice.
You believe your "research" to be infallable and unbiased. My OPINION is based upon many thousands of rounds, and years of ownership of various models of BOTH brands, as well as others.

Last edited by Onegoodshot; 05-11-2012 at 12:52 PM.