1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 04-28-2012, 04:30 PM

COLT XSE vs. SA LOADED?

I have some gun money and I am in the market for a new gun.

I have come up with two choices...

1. I buy a les baer and call it a day..

2. Buy a more affordable gun and customize it.

Having owned a 2006 XSE I have to say I was not impressed, but I am willing to give Colt a second chance. I currently own a custom MIL SPEC and I love it. So I am almost sure the loaded would not disappoint.

I just want the opinions of others regarding these two 1911s. I have heard from many that in the under $1000 price range you can’t beat a Colt, but like I mentioned before I had an XSE and my MIL SPEC that I paid $680 for puts it to shame.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:47 PM

Does the LB have the "custom" features you want? Can't speak to the XSE but the SA Loadeds are good guns and there are plenty of options/models available depending on your feature list. Most folks that own Baers will tell you they are built like a tank and very accurate. I own several Loadeds and can say for sure that my Bear is the tightest gun in the safe and second only to my 5" full custom in accuracy. Going to come down to what features you want and whether you want to spend twice to money for the Baer.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:17 PM

Personally; I'd go for the Colt XSE Combat Elite.

I don't care for the two piece barrels, or imported frames and slides of the S.A.'s.

Take care,

Rick
Old 04-28-2012, 07:43 PM

I have had all three, and would highly recommend Les Baer, a PII or Custom Carry.

Next best would be the Colt Combat Elite, not bad, but just not as accurate or refined as the Baer.

I also had an SA Loaded. Had a 37 lb trigger (OK, a little exaggeration).

The good news is that all three were very reliable, with no FTF or FTE issues.

I comes down to this - how much are you willing to pay for an accurate pistol with quality parts?
Old 04-30-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2gunpete View Post
I have had all three, and would highly recommend Les Baer, a PII or Custom Carry.

Next best would be the Colt Combat Elite, not bad, but just not as accurate or refined as the Baer.

I also had an SA Loaded. Had a 37 lb trigger (OK, a little exaggeration).

The good news is that all three were very reliable, with no FTF or FTE issues.

I comes down to this - how much are you willing to pay for an accurate pistol with quality parts?
I can't speak to your experiance with Les Baer or Colt Combat Elite, But I have owned both and shot a lot of round through both. The pistols I owned and have experiance with, my Colt wasn't even in the game with my TRS. I just bought a NM SA Loaded, its OK, very accurate after I had a Barrel bushing fitted, and the ILS had to go, so replace with MSH and add 19lb mainspring for decent trigger. Half the price of TRS. Decent, I like it alot. Buy a Colt better plan on spending $$$ if you want anything special out of it. JMO

Last edited by Onegoodshot; 04-30-2012 at 09:45 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:07 AM
Banned

The SA Loaded and the XSE aren't anything special(at least not in my book).

If you are looking at the SA Loaded models... look at the Kimber Custom II line as well. I think lb for lb they are better pistols(I own both) and are basically the same price.

What I think you really need to consider what features you need in the gun... and pick a pistol based on those. Not based on which brand to go with.

Mike.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:04 PM

I would recommend a loaded anyday! I can't image someone having to customize a loaded besides trigger mod. Mine is great, slide and frame are really snug, match barrel and bushing (i measured .001 difference in barrel OD & bushing ID). I understand some don't like the 2 piece FLGR and i still don't like having to use a allen to dissasemble.

Things i would improve on my SA Loaded Target SS...lighter trigger pull, front strap checkering, and front sight (not a huge fan of all black target sights). It has eaten every round nose i have put in it, no malfuntions is almost a 1000 rounds now. I hope to soon breach the hollow point door (can't really afford them right now)...then i will know if it can eat anything.

But the thing is stupid accurate, a whole lot more than i am...so far, i am practicing!
Old 04-29-2012, 01:11 AM

Between those two, I would lean to the Colt XSE.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:10 AM

I would get the Les Baer without a second thought!
Old 04-29-2012, 01:18 PM

Bought a Colt xse 5" last year.
Great shooter, dislike the forward serations but the price was right.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:23 PM

I would go for the Colt.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:39 PM

Seems like many are pushing for the colt. Like I mentioned in my original post. I owned an XSE in SS back in 2006-7. I hated the thing. After only 200 rounds the rear sight came loose. It also kept shooting low left. Fit and finish was horrible as well.

Why would I consider to purchase this nightmare again???

Well I love the look of the blued finish, and from what I hear Colt is under new management and are now producing really well made 1911s.

The reason why I compare it to the Loaded is because they are both around the same price range.

The mods I would have to perform are the following:

1. Eliminate the FLGR and install a standard spring plug set up.
2. Get rid of the ambidextrous safety.

I Have to consider that this will bring up the price of both to near TRP range, but then again I would have to perform the same mods on the TRP bringing that guns price near Les Bear territory.
And the Les Baer I can order exactly to my needs.

So you see it is a snow ball effect.

One thing about the XSE, Loaded, and TRP that I can’t stand is the front serration's.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
1. Eliminate the FLGR and install a standard spring plug set up.
2. Get rid of the ambidextrous safety.
Consider a Dan Wesson RZ-45 Heritage or Valor. I have a DW CCO, the quality is excellent, and a very nice trigger. Quality parts throughout.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s197shockwave View Post
...Well I love the look of the blued finish, and from what I hear Colt is under new management and are now producing really well made 1911s....
Besides management, Colt has updated their tooling and CNC machines since then. I'm partial to Colts, but I don't think you could go wrong with any of the three choices you are looking at.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike'sgooddeal View Post
Besides management, Colt has updated their tooling and CNC machines since then. I'm partial to Colts, but I don't think you could go wrong with any of the three choices you are looking at.
Agree, I am not huge SA fan but they put out a nice gun. The Les is a super nice gun, don't own one but have fired one and its a tack driver. The Colt of say a few years back had some issues for sure, I just got a Gold Cup a few weeks back produced in 2012 and its really nice. The fit and finish it very good, what you would expect from a Colt. Don't shy away from a Colt anymore.
COTEP MEMBER #554
“True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,
but the urge to serve others, at whatever cost.” -A. Ashe
Old 04-29-2012, 07:26 PM

Honestly, if you don't want an ambi safety and you aren't dead set on stainless, you may want to consider a Springfield Range Officer. It's less money than the loaded, has adjustable rear sights and a "match grade" barrel, and the money you save could go toward a trigger job. I just bought a Loaded PX9151, and my room mate has an RO, they both shoot about the same, which is quite well. Barrel, bushing and slide to frame fit on both guns is excellent. They both have good triggers, I'd guess they may be a bit better than the XSE as the Springfields are Series 70 vs. the Series 80 of the Colt, but that's just a guess. Certainly the Les Baer would be the best gun of the group, and you would pay significantly more money for the greater quality.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:30 PM
Banned

They are both excellent guns. I would have to go with the Colt just for the future resale value. If you don't care about that, close the one with the features you like best. Also hate to say this but the one you think looks best should be considered also if price is no object.PS: I did not see the LB thown in the mix, that would be a Know brainer.

Last edited by supervel; 04-29-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:33 PM

Buy the SA Loaded. Both mine and my friend's Colt XSE's are really pieces of crap with a rampant horse stamped on the side. The castings for the thumb safety and slide stop on both guns were very rough and had ugly casting marks. The grip safeties look like they were fit by a blind man- and the one I saw a couple weeks ago new in a gun shop had a drop-in universal style with nearly 1/4" gap from the tangs! Both of our guns have a front strap that is too thin to cut checkering into- nice to see quality is so important at Colt these days...
Old 04-29-2012, 08:01 PM

Lefthandbam I have considered the RO but I detest the adjustable rear.

I might just buy another Mil Spec and customize it.

I just don't feel I deserve a $ 2000 les bear yet. I have a family to support and I just can't seem to justify that yet.

So as it stands it is between an Xse or a loaded. I am leaning towards the Xse. I have heard nothing but great things about the recent colts.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:04 PM

My .02...
I am not too fond of the QC I've seen practiced w/
Colt's XSE's and normally see no probs at all w/ the
loaded S.A.'s..

Someone above mentioned better tooling and such lately
@ Colt, and that IS true too...

"Those who live by the sword...
Are generally shot by those who do not..."
Old 04-29-2012, 08:58 PM

1. Les Baer
2. Springfield Loaded
3. Colt XSE

If you can afford the Baer and get it just the way you want it, there's no reason to have to deal with getting the Springfield or Colt, then pay for shipping and pay to have it modified to your liking. Just get the package the way you want it right from the start with the Les Baer.
1911s: Wilson Combat: Presidential Classic, CQB 9mm Nighthawk: Bob Marvel .45 and .22 Ed Brown: Classic Custom, Executive Carry, Special Forces Les Baer: UTC 1.5", TRS Springfield: Pro LR, Champ Oper Colt: ANVII 100th Anniv Ed Alchemy Custom Springfield Loaded 9mm, Springfield Mil-Spec
Ordered: Springfield: Pro Wilson Combat: Tactical Supergrade Alchemy Custom: Custom build
Old 04-29-2012, 09:20 PM

Ok say lets say I settled on the Loaded....Why not dish out the extra 300-$500 for the TRP?

Does the XSE even stand to compare with the TRP?
Old 04-29-2012, 11:32 PM

^^ This is what I am talking about. A bunch of new colt owners raving about their new colts. I need to go see one at a local gun shop I guess.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:24 AM

I own a couple of Baers and they are tough to beat for the money.

I had an SA loaded. It was okay...nothing special and I ended up giving it to my brother.

I have a Colt XSE Combat Elite. I swapped out the plastic MSH and changed the slide stop and safety from the rough looking factory parts to Ed Brown Hardcore parts. Also dumped the !@#$&* FLGR and went to a GI style.

After all was said and done, the Colt shoots and feels better than the loaded but it took $150 or so to get it the way I wanted it.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:37 AM

One can get a NIB Les Baer for quite a bit less than 2k... comparing production guns to a semi-custom is not exactly an apples to apples comparison.. I would save up the extra coin and go with the LB...
COTEFT #28