1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Rock Island Armory

Old 04-22-2012, 09:27 PM

RIA for range only

I bought a regular tactical 1911 full size for range use only. All my other guns have a purpose.

FNH 9mm 17 rounds and light on rail = home protection

Ruger LCR .357 = Car/truck gun (very hot summers here)

Beretta Nano 9mm = Pocket carry (7 rounds of 124 gr. 9mm is nice from a pocket pistol)

My 13 year old son and I like to go shooting at the range. I don't like to shoot too often from guns listed above due to having to make them absolutely perfectly clean and ready to fire as they have a specific defensive purpose.

My question is will the RIA 1911 be a good range only shooter (might not get cleaned but every 500 rounds or so)? Will probably not even be loaded when in the safe.

PS My son loves to fire the fnh 9mm due to the single action trigger, but can handle any of the aforementioned fire arms. Will he not like the 1911 recoil with 230 gr ball ammo compared to 9mm or 38 special?

Last edited by ctrulock; 04-22-2012 at 09:33 PM. Reason: add info
Old 04-22-2012, 09:40 PM

Heck, I carry an FS 1911, I've owned two Rocks, carried both. My tactical digested over 1200 rounds (over the course of several weeks) before I cleaned it and the only issue I was having was that I had some handloads using unique and they were quite a bit dirtier than my loads with Power Pistol...hence the rails and slide were quite gummed up and you could see the slide was slowing down and every so often I needed to tap the back of the slide to return it all the way to battery. Had I been shooting my now much cleaner reloads who knows how long I could have shot the damn thing without a malfunction. So range only gun? Nah, it's more like my take it everywhere, beat the crap out of it and put it to bed wet gun.

As for 230 grainers? When I was twelve my dad let me shoot his Ruger Security Six with full powered loads and I managed just fine and he had a .45 back then too and I shot that as well. I liked it just fine and I managed it just fine, so really it depends on how recoil sensitive your kid is and how much he minds the stouter recoil.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines." -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 04-22-2012, 09:44 PM

I shoot my carry gun- xd40sc as much as possible. That thing is filthy. It gets carried everyday, and the fuzz and other gunk gets cleaned out once a month or so. I think you should shoot your sd/hd guns as much as you can. 50rnds every six months doesn't make for good practice. That's just my opinion. It seems like the lcr and nano would become a chore at the range though.

And once I have a few hundred more through my gi fs I'll use that as a carry gun and the xd will be my backup pistol.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:54 PM

I shoot my carry guns but they are purpose built guns (ie sand paper talon grips, etc) not the best "fun" guns for me and my son. That was the point I was trying to convey if the RIA can be a fun range/project gun.

Thanks for the replies, sounds like the RIA 1911 will be good for a "fun" range gun. Plus me and my son will be modifying together. Stuff like fiber optic sight, grips, magwell, etc. IMO a parkerized 1911 with checkered WW1 grips = coolest looking I ever saw. I ordered some walnut ww1 grips already they should be here before the gun, cant wait!
Old 04-22-2012, 09:48 PM

I don't clean my RIA 1911 nearly as much as "most" people think I should. As long as I keep it oiled up it just keeps shooting. I wouldn't imagine you'll have an issue going 500 rounds between cleanings.

I find the 1911 recoil to be mild at worst, even with 230 gr ball ammo. I think I shot my brothers 1911 for the first time when I was about 13, or somewhere around there, and had no issues. Not sure if that reference point does you any good, but figured I would throw it out there. 1911 is probably my favorite pistol of all time, after I bought mine I found I hardly ever shoot anything else I have.

Not sure if you reload or not, but another option for the 1911 if your son doesn't like the 230 gr recoil is 200 gr rounds. I shoot a lot of 200 gr SWC's, and the recoil is very smooth depending on the load.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar1911 View Post
I don't clean my RIA 1911 nearly as much as "most" people think I should. As long as I keep it oiled up it just keeps shooting. I wouldn't imagine you'll have an issue going 500 rounds between cleanings.

I find the 1911 recoil to be mild at worst, even with 230 gr ball ammo. I think I shot my brothers 1911 for the first time when I was about 13, or somewhere around there, and had no issues. Not sure if that reference point does you any good, but figured I would throw it out there. 1911 is probably my favorite pistol of all time, after I bought mine I found I hardly ever shoot anything else I have.

Not sure if you reload or not, but another option for the 1911 if your son doesn't like the 230 gr recoil is 200 gr rounds. I shoot a lot of 200 gr SWC's, and the recoil is very smooth depending on the load.

Hope that helps.

+1, my Tactical also likes 185 grain SWCs as well as the Hornady XTPs I load for it. Damn if it doesn't eat most anything.

On another note the 1911 (in .45 ACP) is a purpose built. The purpose was to kick ass and take names once you ran out of gum and since I never was much of a gum chewer I skipped the wrigleys and darted straight for the 1911. Can't say I've felt left out on account of the lack of chewing gum.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines." -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 04-23-2012, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrulock View Post
I bought a regular tactical 1911 full size for range use only.

PS My son loves to fire the fnh 9mm due to the single action trigger, but can handle any of the aforementioned fire arms. Will he not like the 1911 recoil with 230 gr ball ammo compared to 9mm or 38 special?

Only one way to find out, Bro.
If he can handle 38spl in your light wt LCR, (which is a "bang/whack" recoil impulse) he's unlikely to be intimidated by 45 in a FS 1911.

It may be a little heavier felt "push" to him, but the recoil impulse on FS 1911 in 45 is more like a "bang big shove" , compared to the bang/"whack" of your LCR

Just load one rnd in the mag the first couple/few times he shoots it .
My Magic 8 Ball suggests he'll be fine

..L.T.A.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:44 AM

I say go for it. I just picked up the FS 1911 GI version, and after the first shot -- I'm in love.

The recoil is extremely smooth and very easy to hold on to & control. It is on the heavy-ish side (possibly) for a young kid -- but tbh, if they've been around guns long enough, it probably wouldn't matter.

The *only* complaint, which I'll be swapping out very soon, is the grip safety. While the wife had no issues in 150 rounds. I missed the "engagement" 2 times out of my 150 rounds.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:31 PM

why would you not clean your gun?