1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Site Information > Site Questions & Suggestions

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 03:58 PM

Who owns this forum?

Curious.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:31 PM

Whoever it is they registered the Domain name through a company called Domains By Proxy which has an absolutely HORRIBLE reputation for hiding bad guys.

Companies often register by proxy or anonymously to hide the true owner for privacy reasons but they could have used a better company or even better their real information. There really is no legitimate reason to hide yourself.

It's probably some egghead at Wilson who thinks they know IT and made the call since no one else had a clue. That's how it usually happens, even at huge companies. Even better they registered at GoDaddy so ya...some real pros at the wheel.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:40 PM

Err... Dave? Anyway, someone that is involved in Law enforcement. As much as I love this forum and continue to visit it day after day, only one amendment is welcome and it's not the 1st.

I may get banned for this one. If so, you guys have been great and I'll start from scratch with a different IP and unsername.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilinShooter View Post
Err... Dave? Anyway, someone that is involved in Law enforcement. As much as I love this forum and continue to visit it day after day, only one amendment is welcome and it's not the 1st.
That's how it usually works with privately-owned forums. The 1st Amendment gives you the right to start up your own website and make your own rules.

The admins were also briefly introduced to the new owners, but I honestly know nothing that the rest of you guys don't and honestly don't care. I never really knew the old owner either.
Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.

Last edited by dsk; 04-19-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_L View Post
Whoever it is they registered the Domain name through a company called Domains By Proxy which has an absolutely HORRIBLE reputation for hiding bad guys.

Companies often register by proxy or anonymously to hide the true owner for privacy reasons but they could have used a better company or even better their real information. There really is no legitimate reason to hide yourself.
That isn't entirely true. We also use Domains By Proxy for privacy and security.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:23 PM

No offense but why?

You have a brick and mortar store with your name, address and phone number right on your Website. Why would you pay those clowns to hide what is readily available information? Especially when you could just list a monitored E-mail address or generic "IT Manager" as a contact by yourself for free?

The whole idea of registering by proxy is so people cannot find you. Often times it is large companies who do not people showing up at the corporate office and raising a stink. More often however it is, shall we say, less than reputable businesses hiding there whereabouts.

A legit business has no reason to hide. Especially if they already publish complete contact info online and with the local telco!
Old 04-19-2012, 06:36 PM

GoDaddy? Where is Danica Patrick?

That lady makes my wheels spin.

salty
Old 04-19-2012, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_L View Post
It's probably some egghead at Wilson who thinks they know IT and made the call since no one else had a clue.
Wrong, and I'll let it go at that.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:35 PM

Well according to Jason (former site owner) LW McVay is the top admin now and the new owner were supposed to introduce themselves "shortly".....that was on 11/11/11 so I'm thinking we may never formally meet the owners.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthre...79#post3529079
Old 04-19-2012, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

Never mind. Entered in error.

NRA Life Member
Old 04-19-2012, 05:10 PM

Well there ya-go Chuck.. 8)Ron
Old 04-19-2012, 05:31 PM

I figured Wilson Combat owned it now
Old 04-19-2012, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-D View Post
I figured Wilson Combat owned it now

Nope.

Last edited by Noklue3; 04-20-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:59 PM

I guess I was given bad info.
I was told it was owned by the advertising firm 'Tactical Republic'.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:03 PM

Hope I didn't offend anyone. I didn't mean to.

I'm sure there was not much thought about it and/or a lot of sweet talking by GoDaddy about "keeping your privacy".

Anyway I didn't mean to insinuate that there was anything nefarious going on or anything. It just looks bad to those who look you know? Not so much for a forum but from a business standpoint.

BTW Kokopelli I use that quote of yours ALL the time now so you can go ahead and start charging me for it People just look at me funny most times anyway.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noklue3 View Post
I referenced this same thread myself, missed the bit about Rudy being the new owner
Old 04-19-2012, 08:12 PM

Three cheers for the Super Moderator & Owner ~ Rudy, Rudy, Rudy. Thanks for the great Site!
Old 04-19-2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:
I'm one of the new owners and excited to be part of the team here...
It doesn't sound like Rudy is the only owner. Is he part of a business ownership?
Old 04-19-2012, 08:27 PM

Browning owns it. Without him, where would we all be.
Dave
SEMPER FI
Old 04-20-2012, 09:11 AM
Banned

So, who owns this forum?
Old 04-20-2012, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEO2B View Post
So, who owns this forum?
Who are you?
Old 04-20-2012, 11:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW McVay View Post
Who are you?
I am a Customer asking a basic question, as I saw a lot of hedging pertaining to one simple question.

When I see hedging it throws up a red flag-like answering a basic and innocent question, with another question.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:05 PM
Administrator

You are not a customer as you have paid for nothing to be here. You are in fact hiding behind an internet identity and are asking a non-pertinent question trying to "out" the owner of this forum - the owner that provides a free forum for folks to voluntarily come here and discuss different aspects of the 1911 Pistol as well as other firearms related subjects to include 2A politics, tactical situations, training opportunities, a classified section for sales and another for 'want to buy' requests.

All of it free of charge.

Did you want to see his IRS tax information as well? Perhaps his birth certificate, college transcripts, voter's registration information, etc?

Sorry, this is a non starter and largely irrelevant question. Especially coming from someone who refuses to identify themselves in a public setting.
Closed Thread