1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > Range Reports

Old 04-15-2012, 02:14 AM

RIA-1911-Super38-Using Sandbag

I was eager to see how the new ammo I got Friday afternoon from SGAMMO would perform with my new RIA-1911. Also, per what others have suggested, I decided to take my sandbag into the range with me and do some shooting using that as opposed to shooting freehand. I've noticed my previous shots want to trail left and downward. I believe I've confirmed what was stated and hope to do some practicing to get my freehand trigger pull working properly.

In the first image below, I set the target at 15 yds and aimed for the face.

In the second image, I put the target at 25 yds and aimed for the body.

The third image was set at 50 yds....which I hadn't done in previous outings at this particular range.

EDIT: BTW, I have a bit of a sighting problem due to my astigmatism. I'm sure the eye doc would say I need to wear bi-focals. But, things within 20 inches, I don't need glasses at all. But, to see these targets, I do. So, I wear my full size prescription glasses for eye protection when shooting. BUT, this prevents me from being able to see clearly the sights on my gun when aiming. I'd have to remove my glasses to see the sights clearly. Presents a bit of a dilemma to me for this kind of shooting.

Comments appreciated.

Last edited by 1911A1FS; 04-15-2012 at 02:36 AM.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:58 PM

I have gone to the eye doctor to get a set of glasses that allows me a sharp front sight, the target should blur if you concentrate on the front sight.. see your doc and get a set of glasses that will focus at that distance
Old 04-23-2012, 08:29 AM

Hello 1911A1FS,
Go on the internet and search for "eye exercizes to improve vision" or try this site:
http://www.stevenaitchison.co.uk/blo...e-your-vision/
Don't buy anything and you might get a pop-up ad just close it. Scroll down and you will see 5 exercises to try. Along with those I have also did this one, which is to get up early and stare at the "MORNING SUN" not midday or evening. You do this with your EYES CLOSED" and just sit and relax while rolling them occasionally. But it is VERY IMPORTANT you do this in the MORNING with your EYES CLOSED! Let me know how you make out.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:56 AM

I appreciate the replies and suggestions.

My eyesight is not terribly bad but is enough to require wearing eyeglasses when driving. I'm near-sighted. However, as I age [I'm 63] being able to focus on things up close has become more difficult when wearing the glasses. I do well without them at all for up close viewing.

To give some sort of comparison, I'm including a photo of a target I shot using my 1940 Mosin-Nagant. The target was set at 100 yds. I'm using nothing but iron sights and I believe the result speaks for itself.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Without my glasses, I'd never be able to get a good focus. AND, more importantly, since the rifle's sights are farther away [compared to my 1911] I have no problems being able to line up the target.

Last edited by 1911A1FS; 04-24-2012 at 03:17 AM.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:13 AM

We used to have a K-9 that looked just like that - hand and all...

1911A1FS,

That's a fair piece of shootin', sir. Well done!
I can see why the .38 Super has maintained such a loyal fan base all these years.

I just had my contacts re-done and I can now see the front sight AND the target again for the first time in years..
I don't know why I waited so long to have it done. Before the eye exam I was using a large set of weak +100 power reading glasses for shooting. That actually worked surprisingly well for punching paper but wouldn't have been of much use in an emergency. Still, if punching paper is all one cares to do it is a cheap solution for some folks.
My pal Joe is in that peculiar eye focus slot wherein, if he gets glasses to see the front sight, then he would have to get a set of dedicated front -sight-only glasses that would be useless for anything else - except maybe reading stuff on the grocery store shelves.
Joe's eye doc is a shooter too, but so far no luck.

I'm glad that you got your eyes sorted. It certainly makes shooting a lot more fun - and your resulte speak for themselves.

"I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day something could go wrong." ~ Inspector O
Old 04-26-2012, 07:23 AM

Nice shooting! I wouldn't want to be your enemy standing 100yds away!
Old 04-28-2012, 02:41 AM

25 yds, Body Shots:

50 yds, Head Shot (Very first shot at 50 yds.):

Old 04-28-2012, 04:58 AM

Nice shooting 1911A1FS. Maybe one day RIA will offer the 38Super in the Tactical version.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:24 AM

In the OP, the second image and third image are the same picture. I would actually like to see what you did at 50 yards.

www.blackrivertraining.com
Old 04-29-2012, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastoff View Post
In the OP, the second image and third image are the same picture. I would actually like to see what you did at 50 yards.
No, they are not the same. Count the holes again.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:42 AM

Yep, you're right. Must have used the same target for the longer shots. Sorry.

www.blackrivertraining.com
Old 04-29-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastoff View Post
Yep, you're right. Must have used the same target for the longer shots. Sorry.
Yes, saved another trip to the cashier.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:36 AM

Had my first outing to the range with my daughter-in-law. She's had her RIA 1911 9mm a few months longer than I've had my Super 38.

She's also taken advantage of a few tips from another local gunshop/range and the results show!

Below, she owns the right half of the target. The upper part she shot using her 9mm. The lower half, she shot my 38 Super for the very first time! These were all shot at 25 yds.

I think I'll plan to stay on her good side...forever!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 05-04-2012, 11:42 PM

Hey Dad (1191A1FS), I finally found you on here :-). Thanks for posting this.. I'm still trying to figure out how to post pics easily from the iPad. I'll get it figured out. Yeah, the guys at Firing Line really have been a great help. I look forward to our next family shoot off
Old 05-05-2012, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissyT View Post
Hey Dad (1191A1FS), I finally found you on here :-). Thanks for posting this.. I'm still trying to figure out how to post pics easily from the iPad. I'll get it figured out. Yeah, the guys at Firing Line really have been a great help. I look forward to our next family shoot off
I hope we can do another family shoot in the near future. But, it looks like one of us will have to try to swap days off in order to make it work. (I'm willing. )

BTW, I'm wanting to get back to Firing Line ASAP and do some more work on triggering the gun. I think that's going to be key to getting some consistency in hitting where I'm aiming.