1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Kimber

Old 04-13-2012, 08:27 AM

Cartridge Ejection

Hi,

I have a Kimber Pro CDP II .45 and it has a nasty habit of ejecting the spent cardtridges right into the shooters forehead. Is there any solution to this other than wearing a hat? It is the only gun I have that does this regularly.

Thanks,

Old 04-13-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3220 View Post
Hi,

I have a Kimber Pro CDP II .45 and it has a nasty habit of ejecting the spent cardtridges right into the shooters forehead. Is there any solution to this other than wearing a hat? It is the only gun I have that does this regularly.

Thanks,

A common problem with Pro models. Went to a longer ejector and a Millenium Aftec extractor on mine. Check your extractor tension,or have a smith do it.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:04 AM

Thanks!

Hi Bill,

Thanks so much for the quick response and information. I will do the same to mine right away!

Old 04-13-2012, 10:49 AM

Aftec Extractor

Hi,

I want to replace the extractor in my pistol. Is that something I can do easily or will it require modification to my Kimber Pro CDP II .45?

Thanks,

Old 04-13-2012, 12:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3220 View Post
Hi,

I want to replace the extractor in my pistol. Is that something I can do easily or will it require modification to my Kimber Pro CDP II .45?

Thanks,

Removed

Last edited by 1911shooter474; 04-16-2012 at 08:28 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911shooter474 View Post
Where the spent shell casing go's is more to do with the ejector then an extractor issue. With a small pin punch it's an easy job to change the ejectors.
It's more commonly attributed to the extractor when the bottom of the hook isn't releasing the round quick enough as it hits the ejector. If the extractor rotates clockwise, the hook is pulling on a lower part of the round.

If the extractor isn't clocking, then the bottom of the hook needs a bevel as shown on this Wilson write-up:

http://blog.wilsoncombat.com/caliber...y-bill-wilson/

If the extractor is adjusted and shaped properly and you still get brass straight back, then you can look to making a minor modification to the front of the ejector face but the extractor usually cures it.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:23 PM

If the extractor's clocking it can also cause erratic brass ejection.

Rick
Old 04-15-2012, 08:04 PM

You don't have to sit in the corner and hang your head, but yes, I am fairly familiar with Kimbers and the specific issues they have.

The point is fix the variables before you start changing parts.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:04 PM

It's also my experience that the Kimber Pro's erratic ejection problems are generally extractor related.

I appreciate the insight and information provided by those with more experience than me (or less, for that matter); as I intend to make learning a lifelong experience.

Other than his apparent "soft spot" for Kimbers (just kidding ); I've seen nothing in any of Kruzrs advice on this and other forums to find fault with.

Take care,

Rick

Last edited by Rick McC.; 04-15-2012 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:19 PM
Banned

Removed

Last edited by 1911shooter474; 04-16-2012 at 08:27 AM.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:25 PM

Well; some days when I watch the news on Fox I wonder how much longer it'll be that way.

Have a good one my friend!

Rick
Old 04-15-2012, 09:18 PM

I'm no expert or gunsmith (thought I'd get that out of the way up front) but I learned the hard way that barrel bushing fit can affect fired case ejection. I have a Stainless Gold Match II that always tossed its empties to the right and back a little with such consistency that I made a case catcher out of 1/2" PVC pipe and fiberglass screen. Then one day I installed an aftermarket bushing with a compensator that I had in my safe. Instantly, I had brass flying everywhere - straight up, back over my head and even out onto the range floor. When I went back to the original bushing, the polite ejection manners returned.

For what it's worth...

Ed
Old 04-15-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Then one day I installed an aftermarket bushing with a compensator that I had in my safe. Instantly, I had brass flying everywhere - straight up, back over my head and even out onto the range floor
You changed the weight and speed of the slide with the bushing compensator (which doesn't do much since it isn't sealed to the barrel.)
Old 04-29-2012, 01:58 PM

Mine is in the shop right now for this exact reason. Great pistol, but it's not a practical carry gun if shooting a bad guy means losing your own eye

Hopefully they'll get it fixed, but at least thanks to this thread if the smith starts pitching all sorts of expensive non-extractor fixes I can consider it suspect.

BTW, besides launching casings right into my forehead with considerable force, ejection is generally erratic all around. Some go here, others there, some eject forcefully, others just dribble out.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:36 PM

2+ weeks in the shop, and they tell me there is no problem. They claim 3 people shot it and it worked fine. Well, I and 3 other shooters all had the same problem. I'm a little pissed, because I suspect they didn't do squat nat this shop, and I lost a couple weeks for nothing.

Now I guess I'll test fire it again, take a few more casings off the melon, and take it to a different store.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMike66 View Post
2+ weeks in the shop, and they tell me there is no problem. They claim 3 people shot it and it worked fine. Well, I and 3 other shooters all had the same problem. I'm a little pissed, because I suspect they didn't do squat nat this shop, and I lost a couple weeks for nothing.

Now I guess I'll test fire it again, take a few more casings off the melon, and take it to a different store.
Are you new to 1911's? If so, find an experienced 1911 shooter and ask them to try it. Watch the ejection to see if it is still inconsistent. An incorrect grip can cause erratic ejection but yours sounds more like the extractor needs a tweak.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:45 PM

I have a different gun (gold match 2) but have been having the same issue during my break-in (450 rounds so far). I had adjusted the tension of the extractor and went to a local range tonight. Still had 7 FTEs out of 150 rounds and many casings hit my head. I am not sure which one I am breaking in - my head or the gun.. Perhaps both.

Anyways, I adjusted the tension again (feels much better with a live ammo) and polished the claw per WC's instruction (posted above).

Good luck!
Dawson Precision magwell, TrippCobra mags, BladeTech holster and mag puches,
Browning Citori 725 Sporting 30"
Old 05-11-2012, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruzr View Post
An incorrect grip can cause erratic ejection but yours sounds more like the extractor needs a tweak.
It's not my grip. And I asked them specifically to check the extractor, and the guy at first said it was probably the ejector. I kindly asked him to make sure the smith checked the extractor, and he again went on to explain that on Glocks it's usually the ejector. I gave him that look that said "Despite the obvious similarities (sarcasm) you are aware this isn't a Glock, right?" but it wasn't going to be him that was doing the work.

Live and learn. I'll be taking it elsewhere.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:38 AM

Quote:
some eject forcefully, others just dribble out.
Do you know how to check the extractor for clocking? That is when it rotates in the channel. Push outward on the top of it at the rear of the slide and then the bottom. See if it moves.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:26 AM

My Target II, 9mm was chucking brass to the forehead also. New gun, shooting all kinds of ammo, only has 150 rds in it. I assumed it was just part of the break in period or the different brand ammo. For me it seamed the S&B ammo hit the head more consistently. Interestingly I had a little problem with it dropping some Hornady (ZM). I suspected the extractor, again just figured part of the break in period.
For what its worth my Beretta 96 (1500-2000 rds) will chuck brass everywhere. My wife found out quickly to wear a shirt tight to the neck when shooting.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:25 PM

I just picked up the gun at the shop, and as I suspected, this gun was never fired. I told the guy at the counter as much, and he felt like it hadn't been fired either. Before I brought it in I did a very detailed cleaning, firing pin, extractor, the channels they travel in, everything. Detailed, Q-tip clean job.

As soon as he handed it to me, I locked back the slide and instantly knew this gun hadn't been touched. I brought it home, disassembled it, and there isn't a speck of carbon on it ANYWHERE. Extractor channel, firing pin spring, nothing. Clean as the day I brought it in. So either their guy is as anal as I am and threw in the most detailed free cleaning you could ask for, or they simply never touched this gun in the 2 and a half weeks they had it. Needless to say, i'm a little pissed about it. And I suggested they have their guy call me when he gets in today, and they said they would, but I'm not holding my breath. They might have just lost a customer...one who bought 2 guns there in the last 60 days and was eyeballing the Dan Wesson Valor they have in their cabinet HARD. Not too bright IMO.

Last edited by MadMike66; 05-11-2012 at 01:33 PM.