1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 03-15-2012, 02:33 AM

What range glasses do you wear with Ear Muffs?

So I got a pair of: Howard Leight R-01526 Impact Sport Electronic Earmuff

Seems decent enough. Much better than just the simple foam ear plugs I have been using.

Problem is my remington shooting glasses now make the ear muffs not have a complete seal around my ears... the stupid side pieces of the glasses near the temples/side of my face don't sit flush with my head and cause the ear muffs to have a gap...

My shooting glasses for now: Remington T-71 Dual Mold Shooting Glasses

http://www.amazon.com/Remington-Shoo...f=pd_sim_sg_31

Can anyone recommend some shooting glasses that work well with ear muffs? I'm all about protecting my eyes and ears, and I feel like I've taken a step backwards now since wearing the glasses now causes the muffs to not do their job 100% and I can hear gun shots because of the gap or space caused by the glasses...

Sorry if this seems lame but figured I can't be the only one that has run into this problem... these almost seem like they would elimate the problem...

http://www.cabelas.com/shooting-glas...system-1.shtml

-Nigel
Old 03-15-2012, 07:19 AM

I was wondering the same thing. Those Randolph Ranger glasses with the cable temples look like they should work. I think Gander Mountain has better prices on the Ranger glasses.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:06 AM

I'm using some "bullet-proof" dark glasses that I bought through Amazon. Can't use them indoors, but most of my shooting is doing outdoors.

Not a Glock armorer!
Old 03-15-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchn1911 View Post
That's why I wear foam ear plugs, I can't get a good seal with earphones with my eyeglasses on. Plus earplugs have a greater noise protection rating than earphones do.
That's what I wear for my motorcycles and doing track days and it works well but when I did it at the ranger after about an hr my ears started to hurt due to people shooting much larger caliber rifles.. Perhaps foam ear plugs PLUS the muffs? IS this something that people do, I would be afraid at that point you would be unable to hear anything via the ranger officer or just talking or things of that nature?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel_H View Post
I was wondering the same thing. Those Randolph Ranger glasses with the cable temples look like they should work. I think Gander Mountain has better prices on the Ranger glasses.
I will have to check them out. They look pricey!..lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterGC View Post
I'm using some "bullet-proof" dark glasses that I bought through Amazon. Can't use them indoors, but most of my shooting is doing outdoors.

Just checked on amazon and didn't find them, do you have a link?

I just ordered these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

They look decent and from the other forum that I was just googling the dude has the same earmuffs as what I have and said they work great together.. plus being metal I think I can bend them to sit more flush on the face if need be.

I'm surprised a manufacture hasn't addressed this or come up with a solution for it... Seems like you could make quite a bit of money designing something to work with muffs or integrate via an attachment that the glasses could clip ONTO the earmuffs.

I'll post back once I get the above from amazon to see how they work out.

-Nigel
Old 03-15-2012, 07:34 AM

That's why I wear foam ear plugs, I can't get a good seal with earphones with my eyeglasses on. Plus earplugs have a greater noise protection rating than earphones do.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:32 AM

I would like to know as well, I have a heck of a time finding good fitting glasses.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:40 AM

i bought a pair of Winchester shooting glasses a few years ago, they are quite comfortable with the two different types of ear muffs I wear. they were fairly cheap have a yellow cast to them and must be scratch resistant as I haven't been the easiest on them. usually throw them in my range bag when done shooting. I also where them when hunting, the yellow seems to help differentiate colors in the woods.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:38 AM

Rudy Project has the best selection of shooting glasses, theyre comfortable and fit will with hearing prorection. www.e-rudy.com
Old 03-15-2012, 12:03 PM

I had the same problem with poor seal around safety glasses until I picked up a set of ESS Ice glasses. The temple pieces are very thin and designed to fit properly under muffs. Although Rudy's are better all around, the ESS models are much less expensive and very good value.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:09 PM

I use glasses from Wiley x. My favorites are the Romer II's.

http://www.wileyx.com/index.aspx
Old 03-15-2012, 12:20 PM

I am interested in any advice somebody might have on this issue as well. I have tried several different types of glasses / ear muffs and they all seem to have a gap near the temple.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:12 PM

Probably any glasses will cause a small gap with the hearing muffs.

I need prescription glasses anyway, so I get my safety glasses as a prescription through my optholmologist (he knows what they're for). I then simply choose a frame that has the thinnest and most flat frame possible, so as to minimize the adverse affect of the frame on the hearing muffs. Then I use the foam ear inserts for additional protection.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself
Old 03-15-2012, 01:56 PM

Try looking into safety goggles instead of glasses?

Many have straps, instead of rigid frames, that will play nice with over-the-ear protection.

Link goes to one example.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:43 PM

I wear Pro Ears electronic muffs with Surfire plugs. Plugs and muffs is always your best option. Oakley glasses
Old 03-15-2012, 05:54 PM

My Decot glasses have flat arms that fit closely,and headphones seal very well with them.You can always bend the arms to fit closer,a miniscule gap is not going to hurt you.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:36 PM

I haven't had any issues radians and muffs.

http://www.radians.com/main/p-213-ra...lipse-rxt.aspx
Old 03-16-2012, 02:22 PM

ESS makes a thin set that are supposed to work with muffs

http://www.esseyepro.com/Suppressor_detail.html

I think I'm going to a order a pair up to try.

But I currently wear WileyX XL-1 Advanced with transitions in my prescription (they cost a small fortune), they work ok with muffs.