1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > General Rifles and Shotguns

Old 02-27-2012, 12:06 AM

20 Round AR Mags

Hey there y'all. I have been gone from the boards for a few years and am getting back on slowly. In the past I have had lots of firearms come and go. I had a strong preferance for Soviet Bloc pistols and rifles but last year I bit the bullet and got into the black rifles. I picked up a used 16 inch Olympic Arms and installed a collsapable stock . I also got rid of my Makarovs and wheel guns and got a very nice West German made SIG P228 in 9mm. My two guns are now what I covet and train with and I am in the process of getting all sorts of magazines and ammo to stock up.

Anyways I have some 30 round AR mags which are nice, but I seem to really enjoy having the 20 rounders in the rifle. Does anyone prefer the 20s to the 30's or is 30 just the cats pajamas? The 20's make the rifle nice and compact and I really enjoy the way they look on the rifle. They are the straight box 20s not the curved ones by the way

Be well and Seven Camp RIP

lkblair
Old 02-27-2012, 12:17 AM

Figure out what works best for you, and go with that. Many people prefer the 20s for stuff like precision work on bipods and whatnot.
Jay Cunningham's personal HD rifle (instructor of LSHD training) uses two twenty round mags in a redi-mag. They fit his bill. He prefers having less weight and space, recognizing a home invasion shouldn't need more than 20 rounds. If it does, he has another 20 right there. And if there's a mag malfunction, he the spare right there.

Figure out your NEEDS and go from there.
The sheep dislike the sheep dog until the coyote arrives.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:25 AM

I had not thought about the redi-mag attachment. That might be the best of both worlds. I assume those work with both 20's and 30's. I will go find some to look at now. thanks. I like the precsion work with the AR. When I was using the AK series i had a Maddi AK that was more of a bullet hose than clean grouper so its nice to know that these things are super tight in the accuracy department

Thanks
Old 02-27-2012, 06:54 AM

I have one 20 rd and about 25 30 rd and a couple 40 rd.

The only time the 20 rd goes on the gun is when I'm sighting in off the bench with a bipod.

It's not about looks for me, I shoot gun games and I need the capacity.
NRA Life Member
Old 02-27-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
I have one 20 rd and about 25 30 rd and a couple 40 rd.

The only time the 20 rd goes on the gun is when I'm sighting in off the bench with a bipod.

It's not about looks for me, I shoot gun games and I need the capacity.
Sounds like you need the Surefire Coffin mags, 60 rounds and 90 rounds....

I like the 20 round mags, but they are not practical for me as whole. I have a few metal GI ones and P-Mags.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavCop View Post
Sounds like you need the Surefire Coffin mags, 60 rounds and 90 rounds....

I like the 20 round mags, but they are not practical for me as whole. I have a few metal GI ones and P-Mags.
I haven't used the 60 or 90 rounders yet. I've not had a COF that couldn't be finished with a 40 rounder. But I've only shot one major 3 gun match.

The 60 and 90's have several sets of springs and are overly complicated for me.
NRA Life Member
Old 02-27-2012, 07:59 AM

The only mag I keep loaded and ready to go is a 20. I like the size and weight and it fits in a back pocket easily. Also, easier to shoot from behind a barrier or using improvised rests, i.e. trees, cars, door jamb.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:03 AM

I kinda' have a "layered defense" strategy at home -- handgun closest, then a 12 gauge, and then an AR-15 (Yeah, I know. If I ever have to go that far, I'm probably dead.). Anyway, I like 20 rounders to keep handy for this purpose. They just seem more compact and easier to handle inside a house. Outside, the house, it depends. It's 20-rounders off the bench and 30 otherwise.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:59 AM

Moments ago I got in after another round with my resident coyote. Our dog smelled him, started her "warning/somethings nearby and I smell it" ... low barking. So I grabbed the 5.45 AR with a 20 rd mag for a quick look and a walk in the hills. Saw tracks in the snow...but no coyote.

I like the 20's as well. HANDY, as previously mentioned they fit in a back pocket, or top pockets of a shirt or jacket....And if You end up shooting pprone..they work a lot better than a 30. And for me handier with the gun on a 2 pt sling. Doesn't catch on my jacket, etc when I switch to my back or front.

Few SHOT shows back I was given ten of the Mag-Pul 20 rounders and handed them out to five of my Trooper buddies as they carry M-4's in the patrol cars. Withn a few weeks I noticed ALL of them had replaced the 30 rd mags with the 20. So I guess others prefer them as well.

Brownells still sells a nice steel 20 and the Mag-Puls are sweet as well.

FN in MT
Old 02-27-2012, 04:25 PM
More Cowbell...

For playing I like 30s. For range use, hunting or shooting off a pack, I use 20s.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:56 PM

For range use I like 20s and for serious encounters 30s. I sold my last AR about 16 years ago and haven't had a rifle since. Then last Aug. I bought a S&W M&P 15 Sport AR. Great rifle for the money. The other thing that changed in all those years was the new poly mags, especially Pmags. I spent quite a bit of time years ago maintaining GI mags so they worked reliably. I now own Pmags and they are great. I have over a dozen and they all work great out of the package.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:14 PM

I myself prefer the 20 rounders, just like most it's compact,lighter and most especially less frone to jam because ammo moved straight up.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:45 AM

I use a Magpul 20 for hog hunting because that's how many rounds come in the box. Sweet to carry.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:55 PM

If you ride around in a vehicle with the weapon, the 20 rounders are nice. They're also nicer for shooting in the prone or off the bench.