1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Nighthawk

Old 02-15-2012, 03:52 PM

If you are looking at George's inventory online...

... hands off the custom optioned Talon at the top of the page!

It's mine!

Thanks to George for taking more pictures and emailing them to me to aid my decision.

This is my first NHC, and will be in the company of 4 custom build Ed Browns and two Colt Commanders built for me by Dave Williams at Springfield Custom.

This rounds out my "tour" of the Big Four. I've owned two Baers and two Wilsons in the past. I've been curious about Nighthawk for years now, and finally took the plunge.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:10 PM

Very nice, George is a great guy used to be one of my best customers when I worked at a LGS there. Highly recommended.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:50 PM

Beautiful pistol, Congrats Nate. The options on that piece are superb.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:14 PM

Congrats Nate! I love my NH, another customer of George's here. A great guy with excellent deals on NH's, Browns, and of course Wilsons..I just received mine from the ffl today. George had it in the mail before I could blink an eye. I'd be interested in your impressions and a range report whenever you get a chance in the future. Nate, what finish is that? Looks great!
Old 02-15-2012, 06:59 PM

I seen that gun on george's site today. Very clean gun!!!! Have fun and be safe.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:49 PM

I love it except for the plain sights. If Im paying for this gun it will have night sights. Thats just me. What a great find.

wilson combat tactical L.E., Browning hi power, Gemini customs GP100, Springfield XDS, mossberg 500
Old 02-16-2012, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethhardy View Post
I love it except for the plain sights. If Im paying for this gun it will have night sights. Thats just me. What a great find.
Tritium front sight, black rear. Perfect for me. I do wish it was the .156 notch 10-8 rear sight, which is what Ed Brown uses, and what I'm used to.

I emailed Nighthawk today about getting a set of the tan/black spiral logo grips that they put on the Enforcer pistols... I think they'd look great on the gun. Plus, Nighthawk has probably the coolest logo out there!
Old 02-15-2012, 09:01 PM

anyone have a link to georges?
Old 02-15-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyGuy View Post
anyone have a link to georges?
http://www.migunslingers.com/

Congrats SVTNate. That looks like the full size twin of my Talon II bobtail.

Last edited by 45calibru; 02-15-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:07 PM

Very good choice SVTNate. Like you own a early production naked slide NH and loved it.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:45 PM

I just received the first pistol with a gold bead front and plain rears. I like this combo. It seems with the plain black rears the front sight is acquired faster because your eye is immediately drawn to it with no contrast in between to slow focus down with. I'd also be interested in a fiber optic up front along with plain black rears...I think I may try this out with my Dominator. I already called and spoke with a NH rep and he said they have the plain adj rear sight blade they can just swap it out with the tritium. And then just replace the front with a fiber optic of my choosing. Nate, I'll certainly be looking for your range report whenever you get a chance. This will compliament your Brown SF nicely!
Old 02-16-2012, 03:39 PM

Can you guys help me out? Like I said I want the G10 tan/black spiral logo grips that come on the Enforcer. They aren't on the NHC online store. I have emailed and called NHC, left a message for one of the sales guys. How long do they typically take to get back to you?

Is there someone in particular at NHC I should be calling? I'd really like a set of those... otherwise I'll be calling Sarge again
Old 02-16-2012, 03:51 PM

All my 1911's and Glocks have black rears, tritium fronts.

As you know, Brown is .156 10-8 rear. All of them.

This NHC is the .140 10-8 rear.

My Glocks and two custom Colt Commanders have Heine Slant Pro, plain black rear.

It is indeed faster, simpler, less stuff to distract you. 3-dot setups are a gimmick IMO.

My Sigs have Dawson fiber optics. I hate them. Great in the sun, but really difficult to see indoors. The FO tubes move around a bit... easy to swap colors, but also easy to fall out or break.

I'd try fiber optic before you commit to them.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:09 AM

I got the chance to shoot this fine firearm today. 200 rounds of WWB.

I field stripped it to oil before shooting, but it was on a dark indoor range. No comments yet as to fit/finish inside the gun. I think the feed ramp is nicely done, didn't notice any tool marks but I'll take a closer look when I clean it.

Zero malfunctions of any kind. At 20 yards, my first 8 rounds were so tight that every hole except one touched. I did rapid fire drills on multiple targets at 7 yards, steady fire at 10 yards, and slow fire all the way out to 20 yards.

Slide cycles by hand very smoothly. Checkering is great. Everything is nicely fitted. Lockup and slide to frame fit seem excellent.

The stock VZ grips are just okay to me. I think such a fine firearm is deserving of something better. G10 fits the overall look of the gun, but maybe I'll have Sarge whip up some really nice wood for it.

Funny thing... the gun came with one black 8 round ACT mag, which was inserted into the gun and obviously used for test firing as it was dirty and had some light finish wear on the mag body. It came with one 8 round Nighthawk mag, which was new in a plastic bag, which is obviously just a rebranded Wilson 47D. Both mags ran great, but I thought the black ACT mag with the steel follower was odd. I'm going to email George to find out why the gun came with two different mags.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTNate View Post
I got the chance to shoot this fine firearm today. 200 rounds of WWB.

I field stripped it to oil before shooting, but it was on a dark indoor range. No comments yet as to fit/finish inside the gun. I think the feed ramp is nicely done, didn't notice any tool marks but I'll take a closer look when I clean it.

Zero malfunctions of any kind. At 20 yards, my first 8 rounds were so tight that every hole except one touched. I did rapid fire drills on multiple targets at 7 yards, steady fire at 10 yards, and slow fire all the way out to 20 yards.

Slide cycles by hand very smoothly. Checkering is great. Everything is nicely fitted. Lockup and slide to frame fit seem excellent.

The stock VZ grips are just okay to me. I think such a fine firearm is deserving of something better. G10 fits the overall look of the gun, but maybe I'll have Sarge whip up some really nice wood for it.

Funny thing... the gun came with one black 8 round ACT mag, which was inserted into the gun and obviously used for test firing as it was dirty and had some light finish wear on the mag body. It came with one 8 round Nighthawk mag, which was new in a plastic bag, which is obviously just a rebranded Wilson 47D. Both mags ran great, but I thought the black ACT mag with the steel follower was odd. I'm going to email George to find out why the gun came with two different mags.
They are both NHC mags. They have two different types of mags and you got one of each. Typically, you'll get two that are the same but I've seen a few others that have got one of each.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvette4595 View Post
They are both NHC mags. They have two different types of mags and you got one of each. Typically, you'll get two that are the same but I've seen a few others that have got one of each.
What he said. I've seen NHC sometimes will even ship with a 7 rounder flush mag and an 8 rounder when you don't have a speedchute.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:01 AM

Thats the way they do it now so you can decide which you like best. The stainless is a newer model of theres and not a wilson. I have eight of the blued ones and they work great!!!
Old 03-01-2012, 09:30 AM

Thanks guys, I got an email from George saying the same.

I had no idea that they ship mags like that intentionally.

As for the stainless, I put it right next to a Wilson 47D. Mag body is slightly different. Follower and bumper pad appeared to be identical.