1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Les Baer

Old 11-29-2011, 02:51 PM

Baer 9mm PII

Anyone have any experience with a Baer 9mm? ...something like a P II in 9? I'm wanting a 1911 in 9mm and I'm thinking Baer would be as good as some, a better value than many of the custom 1911's and better than most. Any opinions, especially from experience?
Old 11-29-2011, 10:38 PM

I do, and the 9mm LB is an exceptional gun--as are all Les Baers. That being said, I own a Dan Wesson PM-9 and a STI 4.15 Tactical (both in 9mm) that are just as good. Although I am comparing both to the standard Les Baer--not the LB with a 1.5" guarantee. Now these are different animals all together. As far as I know, no other company will give you this guarantee. But LB does, and to get any handgun to shoot this good is a incredible feat. But, I believe that you would be extremely happy with a Les Baer. Just be warned: once you get hooked, you are hooked!
Old 11-30-2011, 08:57 AM

Thanks for the reply, SOA. I've wanted a 1911 9mm for quite a while and Baer is the top choice (with the 1 1/2" guarantee.) I'm having trouble figuring out how someone can be steady enough to GET the 1 1/2 pattern at 50 yards, even from a bag.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblackfish View Post
Thanks for the reply, SOA. I've wanted a 1911 9mm for quite a while and Baer is the top choice (with the 1 1/2" guarantee.) I'm having trouble figuring out how someone can be steady enough to GET the 1 1/2 pattern at 50 yards, even from a bag.
I don't think anyone is really steady enough to do it. However, it's nice to know that the gun is capable of doing it. That means you can eliminate that variable from the equation that results in group size. You can have a better idea of how much of the group size is due to you or your ammo.
1911s: Wilson Combat: Presidential Classic, CQB 9mm, CQB Compact Nighthawk: Bob Marvel .45 and .22 Ed Brown: Classic Custom, Executive Carry, Special Forces Les Baer: UTC 1.5", TRS Springfield: Pro, Pro LR, Champ Oper Colt: ANVII 100th Anniv Ed Alchemy Custom Springfield Loaded 9mm, Springfield Mil-Spec
Ordered: Wilson Combat: Tactical Supergrade Alchemy Custom: Custom build
Old 11-30-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Anyone have any experience with a Baer 9mm? ...something like a P II in 9? I'm wanting a 1911 in 9mm and I'm thinking Baer would be as good as some, a better value than many of the custom 1911's and better than most. Any opinions, especially from experience?

I had a Les Baer Premier II 9 mm for 2 years. I acquired it brand new. I fired slightly over 2000 rounds on it. I like my Kimber Stainless Target II 9 mm better.
I sold the Les Baer and I have no regrets selling it.
I will never sell my Kimber.
I just want to give my opinion BASED ON EXPERIENCE.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:04 PM

wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerai View Post
I had a Les Baer Premier II 9 mm for 2 years. I acquired it brand new. I fired slightly over 2000 rounds on it. I like my Kimber Stainless Target II 9 mm better.
Honestly didn't see that coming. At least he's being honest!

Best
Jordan
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_)
Old 11-30-2011, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanR View Post
Honestly didn't see that coming. At least he's being honest!

Best
Jordan
Yep. I welcome all comments - that's why I asked the question/opened the thread. One of my 1911's is an '05 Kimber Gold Combat II that I like a lot and shoot in matches frequently. I don't like it better than my Baer UTC but I like it.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Yep. I welcome all comments - that's why I asked the question/opened the thread. One of my 1911's is an '05 Kimber Gold Combat II that I like a lot and shoot in matches frequently. I don't like it better than my Baer UTC but I like it.

It is good that you welcome all comments.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I'm not buying this....
Old 12-01-2011, 08:27 PM

Baer 9MM

I've had a PPC Open Class (longslide) in 9mm since July with the 1.5" accuracy guarantee - 3,500 rounds later its been a fine gun. More accurate than I can take advantage of and, ignoring some reloading snafu's, not one bobble. Had a failure to feed on a piece of 380 brass that I managed to spin through the 650.

I load it fairly light and its a joy to shoot. I'm shooting 115gr Zero JHP's with 4.5 grains of 231.

Had a little trouble finding magazines that would reliably lock the slide back when empty. It doesn't like Metalform, Wilson, or Tripp magazines. Runs like a top with the OEM magazine and Checkmate's.

Hard to see how you wouldn't enjoy a LB 9.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjd78 View Post
I'm thinking there is an axe to grind in there somewhere.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjd78 View Post

I gave my opinion based on my own experience of owning both the Les Baer Premier II 9 mm and the Kimber Stainless Target II 9 mm.
The Kimber feels better in my hand and that is why I like it better than the Les Baer. I am also more comfortable and I can control the recoil better with the Kimber. After 2 years of owning the Les Baer, I do not see any advantage of it over the Kimber except probably with its brand name. I have been shooting the Kimber more than my other guns and the Les Baer is just sitting in the safe. I sold the Les Baer because I do not keep a gun that will just be in the safe.

I also would like to hear comments from other owners who have also owned both the Les Baer Premier II 9 mm and the Kimber Stainless Target II 9 mm.

The opinion of those who actually owned the guns that are being discussed here should have more credibility than the opinions of those who have never owned the guns being mentioned.

I just want to clarify that I am not specifically a Kimber fan but I appreciate the particular Kimber I have.

All of us 1911 afficionados have our own preference when it comes to brand. I personally prefer my Colt over my Kimbers, Para, Les Baer or Wilson Combat and the main reason is because the Colt feels the best in my hand. Peace.

Last edited by panerai; 12-01-2011 at 09:58 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:50 PM

I have a Base P2, with about 1800 rounds through it. The lock up is tight, tighter than I would really like, but it shoots like a dream. Every time I let someone else try it, the first question I get is about the price.
I ain't selling mine.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:29 AM

Quote:
..................All of us 1911 afficionados have our own preference when it comes to brand. I personally prefer my Colt over my Kimbers, Para, Les Baer or Wilson Combat and the main reason is because the Colt feels the best in my hand. Peace.
You're right about that and it may be more specific than brand in some cases - it may come down to the specific gun! Everyone has their favorites and, although it may not always be the popular view, it's your view - that's enough. No worries, Panerai, and thanks for the opinion. As for me, I'm still planning to try the Baer 9mm.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
You're right about that and it may be more specific than brand in some cases - it may come down to the specific gun! Everyone has their favorites and, although it may not always be the popular view, it's your view - that's enough. No worries, Panerai, and thanks for the opinion. As for me, I'm still planning to try the Baer 9mm.

I agree, each of our own preference in a 1911 may depend on a specific gun with specific features that uniquely fit us in a particular way regardless of brand and regardless of price.