1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Other 1911's

Old 07-04-2011, 07:07 PM

Metro Arms American classic II

i read some really good reviews of this pistol so i bought on on GB for 380.00

im still skeptical on the Price point but they say its comparable to pistols hundreds of dollars more...

anybody know anything about them?
Old 07-04-2011, 07:54 PM

I used to own the Firestorm version in addition to my ACII. I really like the ACII. It's been a great gun. It's very accurate for the price point. Most of my bluing is gone off of my gun now. I'm cleaning up and getting it cerakoted this week.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:28 PM

I own an AC Commander - I have just about 1500 rounds down range thru mine. Zero issues shooting fmj and jhp (whitebox and usaammo).

The only thing that I did to prevent any issues is change the recoil spring to a wolf spring and installed the included extra power firing pin spring. Added XS Big Dots and Houge wraparound grips.

I compared ria, citadel, and ac - had the opp to get my hands on all of them on the same table at a gun show. hands down I made the right decision.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:54 PM

I really like my ACII. Very tight frame-to-slide fit. Nice, crisp trigger. Only had a small issue with the slide stop but the importer mailed me a new one. I had to "clean up" the angles on the back of the slide stop as my 200 grain truncated/flat nose reloads were coming in contact with the slide stop and pushing it out just enough to lock the slide open in mid-cycle position. Great gun for the money.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:40 PM

now i was hearing that other pistols in the "suggested" price range (500.00+) like Springfield etc were at the least, comparable in quality to the American classicII if not a bit better...especially given that the springer and the like were roughly 50-100.00 more....any truth to this? im sure its all subjective.

i figure worse case is that i am forced to use it as a platform to build a custom 1911...which is what i intend to do...just depends on what is staying and what is going. i might ditch the factory sights and go with a mobar style and optic front, ambi safety (im a lefty) different grips, switch out the springs...

we'll see how the firing pin, extractor and barrel do for a while though as im not quite proficiant at self modifying my 1911s yet
Old 07-04-2011, 10:58 PM

The build quality of my ACII is really good. There is something about this gun that I really like. It's the lowest end 1911 I own, yet the one I now shoot the most often. It is currently being turned into a full blown custom. I'm swapping my sites after the gun gets cerakoted. I'm leaning more towards the 10-8 with a brass bead front or possibly a FO front.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorvan View Post
now i was hearing that other pistols in the "suggested" price range (500.00+) like Springfield etc were at the least, comparable in quality to the American classicII if not a bit better...especially given that the springer and the like were roughly 50-100.00 more....any truth to this? im sure its all subjective.

i figure worse case is that i am forced to use it as a platform to build a custom 1911...which is what i intend to do...just depends on what is staying and what is going. i might ditch the factory sights and go with a mobar style and optic front, ambi safety (im a lefty) different grips, switch out the springs...

we'll see how the firing pin, extractor and barrel do for a while though as im not quite proficiant at self modifying my 1911s yet
Many "entry level" 1911's approach $1k price point. Offerings from Kimber, Sig,
Springfield, STI are all MSRP $800. +.
Difficult to find buyer with $1000. cash that is looking for the weapon you are building. Better to "Shoot the pis*" out of your pistol, spend money on ammo and training. When ready to sell and move up you'll recover your investment, and have partial payment on the weapon you want. Grips are ok, you can pull them when you sell, put orig back. Safeties, sights, will be few hundred you'll never see again. Springs are inexpensive, and part of maintainence. JMO
Old 07-04-2011, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dregot View Post
I own an AC Commander - I have just about 1500 rounds down range thru mine. Zero issues shooting fmj and jhp (whitebox and usaammo).

The only thing that I did to prevent any issues is change the recoil spring to a wolf spring and installed the included extra power firing pin spring. Added XS Big Dots and Houge wraparound grips.
I put some on my Armscor and they can make a world of difference.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:05 PM

i have about 200 rounds through my AC Commander. the problem mine has is that the mag catch has an unusual amount of slop to it, allowing the magazine to move a lot after seated.....this caused nose dive jams regularly....MA is supposed to be sending me a new one, but ive also bought and am waiting on EGW mag catches just to be sure.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaLEO View Post
i have about 200 rounds through my AC Commander. the problem mine has is that the mag catch has an unusual amount of slop to it, allowing the magazine to move a lot after seated.....this caused nose dive jams regularly....MA is supposed to be sending me a new one, but ive also bought and am waiting on EGW mag catches just to be sure.
I also have an AC Commander with about 200 rounds thru it that had about the same problem. It had some play in the mag I didn't like and the first round would nose dive every time. It was a act 8 round mag. I dropped in a new stainless Chip McCormick 8 round that seems to have less play and the nose dive problem is all gone. I suspected it could have been the catch.

Benjamin Franklin.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:21 PM

I own 2 MAs. Love mine 2500 rds. or so through each. No problems so far.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:25 PM

Thanks for posting those pictures Limbkiller... I forgot what they look like when they still have bluing on them.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:42 PM
Banned

Quote:

im still skeptical on the Price point but they say its comparable to pistols hundreds of dollars more...
"They"
Old 07-06-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedor View Post
"They"
yes THEY...you know, the men in black behind the scenes? the ones who really write the reviews and articles...ALIENS
Old 07-06-2011, 06:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
yes THEY...you know, the men in black behind the scenes? the ones who really write the reviews and articles...ALIENS
"They" are out there.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:59 PM

Hello everyone, I'm new to 1911 forum and I found out about this site checking for reviews about MA AC II. I bought one and this gun is one of the nicest auto's I've ever fired. The adjustable trigger, Novak sights, and balance is incredible. I can't shoot it enough. The nose dive jams were a bit of a pain, until I realized that if I lock open the slide, insert the magazine a little harder (not slamming) and use the slide release to chamber the round, instead of manually racking the slide, it doesn't jam. I also bought 2 Chip McCormick Custom Power Mag+'s, and that helped as well, the supplied Act-Mag definitely has more slop. The only other problem I encountered was that the chrome flaked off the barrel at the ejection port, I could see it rusting when the slide was closed. I went back to the shop of purchase, showed them the problem, they called cust. service and MA shipped me a new barrel, minus the barrel link and pin, in about 7 days. I still have the original barrel in the gun, it's more cosmetic than anything. Several other customers from that store had the same problem, might have been dirty barrels before the chroming process. Outside of that, I would recommend this shooter to anyone who is interested in the 1911 platform, and doesn't want to spend a fortune.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2458.jpg (101.7 KB, 114 views)
Old 10-10-2011, 08:52 PM

Well the American Classic has its own home now As of 9-11 their is a American Classic . I started because of my close relationship with Eagle( I own the bersachat board also. Also being one of first owners in America of the American Classic a few years back. I decided was time AC had a home.

so come visit. Join help us grow!!

http://americanclassic1911forum.com
Old 05-20-2012, 12:16 PM

I just got my new ACII last month. Only about 200 rounds through it, and not a single problem. By far the most accurate gun out of the box that I have ever shot. I own Sigs, glocks, H&K's, and many others, but this is my new favorite. I recommend this gun to anyone who is thinking about getting a 1911 and doesn't want to enter the $1000 dollar price range.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1911.jpg (99.8 KB, 35 views)
Old 05-20-2012, 06:12 PM

I just shot an IDPA match with mine today and it ran great. For the price, its a reliable and beautiful 1911.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:02 PM

Quote:

anybody know anything about them?
I was impressed with how it racked and the overall build was surprisingly good. Like you, I was leary and passed on it. But it left an impression. Prolly wouldn't hesitate on it if I was looking for a range toy. I was in the market for a carry at the time.

When I was comparing it to the Remington R1 side by side, overall, comparable. You probably made a good buy for the money.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:48 AM

Let me tell you what's wrong with my American Classic Government Model.

I load it with all kinds of ammo from cheap Russain ammo to name brand in both FMJ and JHP and none of those rounds get jammed, and I've done that over 1,000 times!

And if you think that's bad, I tried using cheap GI mags ($5.95 ea) and all kinds including Wilson Combat and Chip McCormack mags and have not any any feed issues.

With all that, how can a guy get in any malfunction practice?

"I Miss America"

Last edited by qwiksdraw; 03-12-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:59 AM

I tried using cheap GI mags ($5.95 ea)

where are these at??
Old 03-12-2013, 10:40 AM

I have had the AC II in hard chrome and it shoot great, trigger is unbelieveable too. Only thing I notices on mine is the quality of finish on main spring housing is poor, but that being said it didn't cost $1300 either.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-12-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwingfield View Post
where are these at??
Cheaper Than Dirt has (had) them and I found some at a gun show.

"I Miss America"
Old 03-13-2013, 11:06 PM

Boy Iam glad I have a very low serial number AC .Mine was a gift from the President of Eagle Imports

I don't have the problem with the hammer Mine came plain . I didn't relize so many people dislike it.
I will pass this on up the chain . I really doubt It will do much good but I will pass it on.

We have a board its growing slowly but growing come visit and join

http://americanclassic1911forum.com