1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > Chat & Game Schedule

Old 04-13-2011, 08:19 PM

Less violent game choices

I asked about COD Black Ops and I don't believe that it is appropriate yet for my son. Are there some other war game choices out there without all of the graphic violence and language? Thank you.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:34 PM

yes there is a game to play,,,

it;s just a target game,,you may play it free online and test it out before buying, it;s called (sniper school game).Just target practice,you may play it free at Y8.com.Pretty fun to play for all ages. Ruger_Gal
Old 04-14-2011, 12:00 AM

America's Army Version 2.8 from years ago will do it.

COD 4 is ok.

What I have done with modern games with bad language etc (I am a ex trucker, don't wanna hear it.) is take the game options "Dialog" Sound setting all the way to zero and set up subtitles.

I don't hear much anyway if anything. Only the important battle sounds.

Ventrillo or Teamspeak is much better than In-game VOIP because 9 year old pre-teen squealers heaping verbal abuse is just not worth it.

I have been playing games for 35 years and have pretty much put the games away in favor of real training and weapons. Part of the motivation is the language that is really getting inappropriate for family values for me and those of us still holding on to old school ways of raising children or working with younger ones.

There was a game recently that allowed you to remove offensive content such as language and the Russian Airport scenario (MW2) that is offensive to some people.

But as games move towards the end of the year, I find that increasingly bad things are being hard coded so that no one can configure or modify to remove or reduce the unwanted content.

Now before any of you think I have gone... Luddite or something, keep in mind Language of a bad nature does have it's place such as in War and also in life or death situations where it's simplify and expressive nature cuts out alot of time wasting sentences. Everything has it's place.

However our Children are our most precious asset and our future. If we can keep them strong that will be good. But I fear society is failing with the loss of the nuclear family and the beginning of orphans banding together into gangs and adopting very predatory and violent adult behavior that will get them killed or worse.

Last edited by HungrySeagull; 04-14-2011 at 12:03 AM.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:31 AM

Console? Age of son? What about Black Ops didn't appeal to you? That is my favorite game at the moment.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefjefe View Post
I asked about COD Black Ops and I don't believe that it is appropriate yet for my son. Are there some other war game choices out there without all of the graphic violence and language? Thank you.
You want a war game... but without graphic violence or foul language? Trying to sugar coat it are you?

CHESS Strategy is important too!

but seriously, name me any war movie with a G or PG rating?

WAR is HELL, theres a reason that saying came to be.

Battlefield 1942 and Battlefield 2 (as well as America's Army as HungrySeagull mentioned) are bloodless and foul language free... but there are MODs available for either should you want the pink mist.
It continues to amaze me that so much time and effort are spent trying to figure out new ways to improperly use this weapon (1911). If the same amount of time was spent learning to do it correctly...well...it's self explanatory." -- MTSCMike
Old 04-24-2011, 08:30 PM

IMO check out the Half-Life series, sci-fi and shooter. pretty much one of the best series of ALL time imo. Other than that... can't think of much else. Maybe Fable (Hack and Slash fantasy) or Portal (Puzzle 1st person shooter) or Left4Dead (Zombie shooter, no people, only zombies (some gore though))
Old 04-25-2011, 01:37 PM

try the Call to Duty or Medal of Honor games - not too graphic and no cursing.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:18 PM

Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare isn't as bad as MW2 and Black Ops in the campaign mode. Call of Duty World at War is just as bad as MW2 and Black Ops even in campaign mode.

If I recall, Call of Duty 3 has a bit of cursing in it, but not as bad as the others. Been so long since I played it I can't honestly remember.

Call of Duty 2 and back are pretty tame. Medal of Honor Airbourne was a great game, and one I would highly recommend even for the younger ones. The newest Medal of Honor has some pretty good cursing in it too. Anything Medal of Honor Airbourne and back is pretty tame in the language department.

Online play is just that. You just learn there's some people you have to use the mute button on.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:28 PM

Any game rated teen will be fairly mild, you'll still get your TV-14 language. Most games will have the option to disable gore in the options menu. Gore and language don't phase me, but mind-screw Black Ops presents was a little much, I wont spoil it but it crosses into the bizarre on occasion.

The earlier wave of WWII era shooters won't generally provide you with any moral or ethical questions and the language is pretty clean. Standard period epithets for Germans- "Jerry" "Kraut" etc.

SWAT3 and 4 have some nasty language in them but they present you with interesting choices- you have a strict ROE and cannot kill anyone in cold blood without the game failing you, they also allow you to deploy less-lethal weapons to bring suspects and hostages into compliance.

The Fable games are great fun but they do offer plenty of shenanigans and questionable content. You don't have to play it good and can go pure evil. The game also sucked me in for hours upon hours at a time, lol.

Valves games are good stuff, always very playable and fun. Some pretty mature themes in the Half Life games but not overly so, Left 4 Dead is hyper gory but thats kind of necessary in the Zombie apocalypse innit?

You want a FPS that promotes thought and has zero violence towards humans (well it's directed at you...) have him playing Portal. It's a tremendous game. I haven't got a chance to play Portal 2 yet but I've heard nothing but good.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:01 PM

Try World of Tanks on your PC. It is a WW2 based tank game.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:22 PM

Toy Soldiers for Xbox 360 or PC. It's gotten very good reviews. Rated T (Teen) for obvious violence, and "Alcohol and Tobacco" reference.

http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/033/033542.html

Whatever you choose, the easy way is to just go by the ESRB rating. Don't be one of those parents that buy their 8 year old an "M" rated game, then freak out when the kid starts cussing and talking about T&A and shooting faces.

Last edited by SuHu; 04-28-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:56 AM

James Bond games? I used to love those. COD games and Battlefield games are....well....rated 17+. M for mature.

Remington R1 1911
S&W model 360
Mossberg 500
Old 04-29-2012, 01:03 AM
Banned

I have the same deal with my son. Did not even want him on any vedio games. His uncle gave him one for a present, now I can't get him off of it. They are very addictive and entertaining, just like our forum. How long do you let him play a day?Do you think he will burn out and get tired of it? These questions were aimed to the Chief But any input is welcome if you have kids that play them alot.

Last edited by supervel; 04-29-2012 at 01:06 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:59 PM

If strategy games are acceptable, then look into Civilization Revolution.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:58 AM

My son has been playing COD and Battlefield since he was 11 . My only complaint is the language. Now he's 13 and I've never heard him use a curse word. My concern is more for the online computer games with a chat function... I don't trust the interactions with strangers. He's already started to show interest in girls, so that should distract him from the video games real soon.
I personally prefer 1st person shooters against aliens... it lessens the reality factor for me.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:56 PM

I have a 5 year old son and no X-Box 360 or any consoles for him at home. I hook up the Playstation 2 from time to time and Play Guitar Hero 3 with him. He is allowed to play the Wii Sports games (he loves the boxing) at his uncles house.

We had to yank the computer and I-Pad away from him a year or 2 ago...He would play until he'd pee himself. Kind of funny, but not cool at all.

Now he earns his play time...NickJR and so on, on the computer. We just keep it age appropriate with music, movies, language and just about everything else. We got him into youth wrestling and he loves it! I really like watching him too!
Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya punk?"
Old 05-16-2012, 02:07 AM

My parents had what some might deem an off approach. For every bit of time I spent learning to use our first computer (a Tandy 1000, which yes means it was indeed the late eighties) I got that much time to play. Now, I was allowed a wide degree of latitude when it came to games, I had a firm grasp as to what was and was not real. When Wolf 3D came out I played it, Doom, Heretic, Rise of the Triad, etc...however, all parents are different, so are all kids. Be it moral, philisophical, religious, etc, etc, so on and so forth. I for one get where you're coming from. My brother didn't hesitate to let his oldest boy play most any old game and the kid has a short fuse, throws tantrums, plus he's a little computer addicted zombie, and a world class brat to top it all off. Now I always use to scoff when I heard games led to adverse behavior...I was never overly violent, I did my chores, had jobs as a kid, never got grossly overweight, and I still had a social life. After watching that kids? I can honestly understand why some parents have reservations. On a side note I think bad parenting is the cause rather than the games themselves.

http://www.gog.com/en/catalogue/shooter/ Don't know if you do PC games but everything on here should run on an old system. Mind you I don't know everything that's on there. I've purchased a few games from the sight and I've yet to have issues with fraud and once you have an account it's unlimited downloads on games you've purchased. Lots on there from shooters to side scrolling action arcade classics. Hope it helps you out.