1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > Browning Hi-Power

Old 11-08-2010, 11:16 PM

1911 sights on a bhp...?

So I'm tearing around eyeballing all the different sights I could use to replace those super-tiny impossible to use in anything but ridiculously bright light stock sights, and I thought of something that maybe you guys could answer...

Could I install 1911 sights on a bhp? I know the slide length is different, but could I get a Dawson Precision front at whatever height the calculation works out to, and get (for example) a 10-8 National Match rear?

I'm no fan of Novak's sights, and I just don't see a ton of options for the bhp. Heinie sights look great and work great (I've used them on several other handguns) but require serious modification of the slide to install, and I'd rather not hack the slide up that much, if possible.

Anyway, the possibility of installing 1911 sights would seem to open a whole world of options, no? Has anybody attempted this? Is it even feasible?
Old 11-08-2010, 11:32 PM

Yes, you can put a 1911 sight on the HP. I have an HP where that's been done.

This Practical has been to Don Williams at the Action Works. He put on a set of 1911 Novaks with a gold bead front sight and solid black rear sight. Here's a close up of the front sight.

I asked Don about the sights, he said people usually prefer the Novak 1911 sights over the smaller Novak HP sights.

You said you don't like Novaks. Don has done some interesting work with the Heinie sights -- there's an example on this forum http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=289167. I haven't looked at other options because I like the setup I have. But back to your question, yes. Find the sight you like and a good smith.

Vern

Last edited by vmr357; 11-22-2010 at 09:43 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:39 PM

Thank you Vern! I appreciate the concise answer!
Old 11-09-2010, 06:42 AM
Banned

Mr. Williams or other competent professional could cut the legs off the rear of the heinie bhp rear or the flap for lack of a better word off the back of a 1911 heinie rear and eliminate the extra slide cut and still use a heinie. You could also use the heinie ultra low mount in the standard or ledge variety and it uses the standard novak cut. You would then be free to change to the sdm, 10-8 or hp pro grade for the novak cut and not be stuck with the novak shadow box rear sight. The 10-8 national match rear is similar to the hp retro rear and uses the colt gi spec dovetail.

Last edited by chuntaro; 11-09-2010 at 06:46 AM.