1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 06:03 PM

Cleaning your 1911

I am a first time 1911 owner (Kimber) and I was wondering what tips/suggestions do you all have for cleaning your 1911? What are the best methods for cleaning the barrel?

Suggestions for cleaner and lube?

Thanks
Old 10-04-2010, 06:19 PM

Search button.....

Q-tips are your friend for the hard to reach spots inside the slide and whatnot
Old 03-30-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambluemax View Post
Search button.....

Q-tips are your friend for the hard to reach spots inside the slide and whatnot
I've found over the years that pipe cleaners are even better for some parts of the gun.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straid View Post
I've found over the years that pipe cleaners are even better for some parts of the gun.
+1 on pipe cleaners and bore-snake too (no more rods!)
For lube, I'm currently liking Mili-Tech on pistols and ARs, but thinking hard about FrogLube.
Enjoy...........
Old 10-04-2010, 06:20 PM
Banned

I think there are plenty of threads already on this, but I personally prefer Break-Free CLP because it simplifies the cleaning process. It's both lube and solvent in one. There are better lubes and better solvents, but like I said, I'll take that in exchange for the simplicity. It's used by the military, so you could do alot worse. Plus, it kinda smells good.

As for the process of cleaning itself, don't worry too much about it. It's a gun, not a surgical instrument. It doesn't have to be sterilized every 100 shots. Toothbrushes and cheap white cotton undershirts are your friend; they make great patches when ripped up. I like to give my barrel a good deep cleaning maybe every 500-700 rounds or so; otherwise I just run a few patches through it. Don't bother trying to remove every last bit of copper during a routine cleaning, because it's all back there after the first shot.

Last edited by Aaron45; 10-04-2010 at 06:23 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:24 PM

What I've done for the past 40 years is this:

Big vat with wired french fry type basket

dissassemble weapon, place in basket, dunk. Return later and clean.

Nowadays I've gone out and purchased one of those stainless steel deep fat fryers, disabled the heating element and removed the cord, filled the bin with hoppes #9 and use the basket to hold all the parts with the exception of the grips.

When I break in a weapon I use that bore foam every 100 rounds along with a light wipe down and Wilson's Ultima lube.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sousana View Post

Nowadays I've gone out and purchased one of those stainless steel deep fat fryers, disabled the heating element and removed the cord, filled the bin with hoppes #9 and use the basket to hold all the parts with the exception of the grips.

When I break in a weapon I use that bore foam every 100 rounds along with a light wipe down and Wilson's Ultima lube.
Wow... How long do you soak it?
Old 10-04-2010, 10:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grux View Post
Wow... How long do you soak?
I like about 20 minutes with the Jacuzzi on

claire
Old 10-04-2010, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claire View Post

claire
What moisturizer do you use? I would imagine being submerged in Kerosene and Ethyl Alcohol for twenty minutes would dry the skin.

1911 Lefties who don't use ambi safeties - Member #1
Old 10-05-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claire View Post

claire
Actually Claire, you are quite CORRECT lol. After a long day at the range, I get home, break down my weapons and put their parts in individual deep fryers and then go hit our large massage class jacuzzi for about 30 min.

As to how long I let soak, usually, when I hit the range it's a day long event so I get home in the late afternoon, I'll break the weapons down that I fired, and put them in their appropriate baskets and dunk them for usually overnight. Now, to let all know, I only dunk metal parts, not plastic like the frame on a Glock or XD. Metal Hoppes won't harm in the least bit.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sousana View Post

Do you re-use the #9
Old 04-03-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREEMAN View Post
Do you re-use the #9
Guess not....
Old 10-06-2010, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron45 View Post
I think there are plenty of threads already on this, but I personally prefer Break-Free CLP because......it kinda smells good.
I fixed it for you. I know this is what you really meant to say.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grux View Post
Suggestions for cleaner and lube?
Use what you can find easily. The debate about the "best" bore solvent and/or lube is never ending.

Just use... Something.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horoscope Fish View Post
Use what you can find easily. The debate about the "best" bore solvent and/or lube is never ending.

Just use... Something.
Ok. In the past I've been using Break Free and Mobile 1 Synthetic for lube
Old 10-04-2010, 07:08 PM

It's not Rocket-Science. If you shoot FMJs or HPs use a good copper solvent, cast bullets, use Hoppe's. Clean the frame/slide with Hoppe's regardless.

If it slides-grease it. If it rotates-oil it. Grease on the rails, a good gun-oil on the rest. If you're going to shoot it again within the month you don't need to oil the barrel.Use a rod, push-thru jags,no loops. And a good phospher-Bronze brush. Clean from the breech.
Msgt., USAF,Ret.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Waits View Post
It's not Rocket-Science. If you shoot FMJs or HPs use a good copper solvent, cast bullets, use Hoppe's. Clean the frame/slide with Hoppe's regardless.

If it slides-grease it. If it rotates-oil it. Grease on the rails, a good gun-oil on the rest. If you're going to shoot it again within the month you don't need to oil the barrel.Use a rod, push-thru jags,no loops. And a good phospher-Bronze brush. Clean from the breech.
Perfect. Thank you!
Old 10-04-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Waits View Post
It's not Rocket-Science.
Reading some of these different threads I am beginning to wonder.
Spray it with this
Lube it with that
No!!Don't wipe it that way.

Something like this would good for a beginner.
http://www.remington.com/products/ac...st-snap-2.aspx

I got an old Hoppes I've had for nearly 30 years.I just buy whatever caliber brush,etc I need and Hoppes oil and NO. 9 solvent
Old 10-05-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottl View Post
Reading some of these different threads I am beginning to wonder.
Spray it with this
Lube it with that
No!!Don't wipe it that way.

Something like this would good for a beginner.
http://www.remington.com/products/ac...st-snap-2.aspx

I got an old Hoppes I've had for nearly 30 years.I just buy whatever caliber brush,etc I need and Hoppes oil and NO. 9 solvent
You know, this just goes to show, cleaning a weapon is as individual as choosing a weapon. No two people will do or pick alike.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:45 PM
Administrator

Sound like either I or somebody else needs to make a thread about cleaning and sticky it in the FAQ section. This question comes up about every other week.
Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:50 PM

A Kimber ???

Just stick it in the dishwasher !
Old 10-05-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tra Vinh View Post
Actually, back in the 80's I think it was, a company came out with a Titanium snub nose 38 that they claimed could be cleaned in the dishwasher. Now, it's just going to take time for me to dig that freaking magazine out and scan the article lol.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:20 PM

Dishwasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tra Vinh View Post
Good idea, I like that. But cannot afford to do so. The cost for the divorce lawyer is out of my budget. Besides, what the hell, I do love my wife so I'll keep usin Hoppes and CLP.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Sound like either I or somebody else needs to make a thread about cleaning and sticky it in the FAQ section. This question comes up about every other week.
Great idea ! - we see a really wide range of almost religious beliefs on how frequently cleaning is needed - I think it is if interest that, when Colt ran that 6000 rounds without a malfunction in 1911 - they cleaned that gun only every 1000 rounds - and I suspect if they thought cleaning it more often was needed to prevent malfunctions and win the contract with Army Ordinance, iit would have been done more frequently - plus, I'm pretty certain we shoot cleaner ammo now than wa used in the test.

They cooled it every 100 rounds but didn't say how -

DSK - I suspect if you have the time to do it and wouldn't mind doing it - you are probably the most qualified to do it.
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
Old 10-04-2010, 08:20 PM

This is the method I use for all the 1911's that I've owned:

I mostly use Mil-Comm products, specifically their Firearm Cleaner/Degreaser, and their Synthetic Grease, "TW25B" (whatever that means). It comes in a syringe and is very similar to Wilson's 'Ultima-Lube' grease. Either product is great. For oil, I use Blue Wonder Disotec XFR. A friend recommended it to me and I haven't looked back. It's kept my barrel rust-free without fail.

I field strip mine and use Q-tips, toothbrushes, and those heavy-duty blue paper towels you can buy at hardware stores as wiping rags to get all the gunk out of the gun. I use a Hoppe's Bore Snake for my barrel. Once I've got it cleaned and bone-dry, I use the synthetic grease ONLY on the tracks. I use the Disotec XFR on all the other spots that need lube.

Personally, I've found this to be a great method. The feeling of cycling the slide of a broken-in Kimber lubed up with synthetic grease back and forth is a feeling all it's own. Smooth as glass.