1911Forum banner

welding a Caspain frame to fit a Ed Brown beavertail the right way?

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Shaper 
#1 ·
How much welding is required to the Caspian frame to fit a Ed Brown beavertail the right way?

#2 · (Edited)
In my experience the older Caspian frames require the top of the frame ears to be built up to blend with the top of the Brown GS.

According to Caspian the current frames have the top of the ears higher to eliminate the problem. I have not used one of the newer frames so I can't say for sure.

Edit: it is answered in this thread.
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=356784

#8 · (Edited)
I wish I had taken pics when I first test fit the parts. The best I have are after blending the EGW GS. The frame was cut to a .250 radius. First two pics are the EB GS. Even though the frame has been blended to the EGW, it still shows how the EB sits proud of the frame above the tangs and the fit below.

FWIW, If you could visualize the upper tang being slightly thicker, the EB still sat kind of high like it does now.

For comparison the next two pics are of the finished EGW part, then a pic of the EB/EGW side by side.

Attachments

#6 ·
I used a .220 S&A on mine but it was an older foster ind I got from a local gunsmith after cutting for the brown, there were gaps in the bottom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.