1911Forum banner

Best Lube for a 1911?

21K views 27 replies 23 participants last post by  Vitamin G 
#1 ·
A newbie here.

I know I read this already somewhere in the forum, but...what is the best
lube for the 1911 slide? I am a new 1911 user and want to keep both of
mine in good shape over the coming years to pass onto my two sons when
the day comes just as my dad passed on this two Smith revovlers to me.

Don't want to start a civil war among the user of "this or that", but please
advise on what you have found to be really good or point me to where in
the forum this has already been addressed. Any help here would really
be appreciated.

Already read up on how often to clean and have successfully field stripped
both my Kimber and S&W since purchasing them. Getting them apart was
not bad, but getting them back together that very first time did take a bit of
patience. Doing much better now.

Thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
Fp-10

I have tried all sorts of lubricants on my pistols, Tretra Gun grease to FP-10 (not in ranked order. I like the FP-10 best, the pistol throws out the oil it doesn't need, and a wipe with my cloth takes care of that. I tried the Tetra Gun grease on my Kimber Rimfire (al frame and slide), and it works OK for about 80 rounds, and then lots of short-stroking. I have gone back to FP-10 on it, now. I've shot 1,392 rounds thru the .22, so it should be broken in OK. Used the Grease just one session at the range on it.

#6 ·
I used "Tetra" brand GREASE on the rail under the slide where the disconnector ride ( I had an SST gun get galled to beat hell there..so I dont chance it anymore) and also on the barrel feet where it runs up on the slide stop. Also at detail teardown time.I apply a SMALL AMOUNT to the trigger bow where it rides in the frame..and also on the hammer and sear contact surfs.

FP-10 is used for "lube" everywhere else now BUT I still prefer BreakFree on the exterior (the LP..not CLP BreakFree)

#9 ·
I use FP-10 and Militech-1; neither has let me down. The most rounds I've pushed through my .45 without cleaning is 550 most of which were hardball Blazer 230s, Brass cases (one long day at the range). Neither gun has ever short-stroked or FTF because of lack of lubrication.

JeffVN

#19 ·
For me it's very difficult to do serious statements about the BEST lube. I can quite easily recognize the best antirust stuff, but I don't know a reliable homemade test about lubing properties. Altough actually I'm using FP-10 and surely I'm satisfied with it, honestly I can't say if it is the best lube or not.
Raymond, CH, Romulus/gigi*riva, Bountyhunter, where are you? :cool:

#21 ·
mitrod3 said:
A newbie here.

I know I read this already somewhere in the forum, but...what is the best
lube for the 1911 slide? I am a new 1911 user and want to keep both of
mine in good shape over the coming years to pass onto my two sons when
the day comes just as my dad passed on this two Smith revovlers to me.

Don't want to start a civil war among the user of "this or that", but please
advise on what you have found to be really good or point me to where in
the forum this has already been addressed. Any help here would really
be appreciated.

Already read up on how often to clean and have successfully field stripped
both my Kimber and S&W since purchasing them. Getting them apart was
not bad, but getting them back together that very first time did take a bit of
patience. Doing much better now.

Thanks

personally.. i'm a big fan of Brian Enos "Slide Glide"

I use the stuff myself.. and well.. in general 1911s were originally designed to make use of grease, only stands to reason that you'd use it :D.. LSA medium also works good.

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/slide-glide.html

#22 ·
thanks again to all for your help

I will be back at my local range/shop tomorrow (yes hon, just stay as long as
you want) and find out what they have on hand among all that has been
mentioned, or a visit to my local auto parts store might be in order as some
have mentioned. I do appreciate all of advice and honesty regarding this
issue. Thanks again.

#25 ·
Fp-10

Used BreakFree for 8 years until I tried FP-10 this year, never looked back. Below is who manufacturers/companies that use FP-10... taken from their site:

"Kimber Mfg. Inc., FN-Manufacturing, U.S. Repeating Arms, Detonics, Smith&Wesson (Auto Pistol Division), Wesson Arms Mfg, Caspian Arms, Olympic/Safari Arms, DSArms, Inc., Sierra Bullets, Ed Brown, Jim Clark, Jim Garthwaite, Dane Burns, Alan Marvel, Waldo Lydecker(Dean Spier), Neal Fortin, Accurate Plating & Weaponry, Bar-Sto, Walter Birdsong of Birdsong Associates, Coonan Arms, Firearms Training Consultants, Tactical Firearms Training (Charlotte, NC), Kim Ahrends, Kings Gunworks, U.S. Army National Guard, All Airborne Rangers Units, National Guards, Special Forces, Delta Force, Various other Military Units, Law Enfocement, Military Sniper Units...and countless others ......."

...must have something right if these companies/groups/organizations choose FP-10 out of all the lubricants available on the market. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.