1911Forum banner

need help finding some info

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  1saxman 
#1 ·
I recently acquired a "Browning FN 9mm HP mk I* Inglis Canada." Im was wondering if anyone could give me any info on it. I traced down the year it was made but that is about it. It has 3 different serial #'s. The serial numbers are 3CH933-barrel, 3CH2730-slide, & 3CH735-stock. The finish is in rough shape because it looks like someone tired to refinish it with black spray paint. It has the 13 rd clip but didn't see any proof marks on it.
Is it common to have 3 different serial numbers? What was original finish? It still shoots great and i got it for next to nothing, so i was thinking about restoring it or just keeping it to plink around with. Any advice is appreciated.

#2 ·
It sounds as though you purchased a "parts" gun. Many different gun's parts contributed to a complete gun. That does not keep them from being good shooters and fun pistols. If you are going to fix it up, use caution and don't drop a load of money into it, as the parts guns are not worth a lot of money regardless of condition.....which is why you purchased it at such a reasonable price.

#5 ·
The original finish of Inglis High Powers was "Parkerized". No Inglis High Power left the factory with a painted finish. Paint was the finish the Brits used when the overhauled the Inglis High Powers in their inventory. But if the Brits overhaul a pistol they made sure the serial numbers match.

#7 ·
It could have a rebuild mark like FTE 63 on the LH side of the frame and slide. During the rebuild, parts from different pistols were sometimes put together to make a good one. Sometimes the parts were 'force-matched' to the receiver by over-stamping. Rebuilds like this sell for around $500 in good condition with the factory black grips and lanyard loop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.