1911Forum banner

Kimber For Left-Handers

21K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  v iperdaddy 
#1 ·
I am thinking about purchasing a Kimber Desert Warrior for self-defense. I am left-handed. I read somewhere that the extractor throws shells in your face if you shoot a Kimber left-handed.

Before I shell (no pun intended) out $1,400.00 for a Warrior I'd like to hear from any southpaws who own Kimbers. I'm guessing you have not had this problem, but I want to be sure before I buy.

#2 · (Edited)
I have 3 Kimbers, none of which throw brass at my head. However, a guy at the range had a 4 inch (can't remember which one) that did. But, he was righthanded. Sorry I can't be for helpfull. It's a leap of faith that any 1911 you buy will function 100% out of the box. Good luck.

#6 ·
I'm a lefty. I've got a Kimber Warrior. No trouble at all. It throws the brass to the right and behind and clears me just fine.

The only times I've ever had trouble with getting beaned in the head (often to the point of drawing blood) is with 1911s shorter than full size. I've never had a commander that would not throw brass in my face -- S&W, Ed Brown, etc.

#8 ·
Law Enforcement said:
Thanks CTSA 1911,

That is encouraging. Are you please with your Kimber Desert Warrior? Would you recommend it as an all around 1911 to last for many years for a southpaw like me? This would be my first Kimber.

Also, thanks for the comments from everyone. :)
I LOVE my Warrior. It's my second favorite firearm that I own or have owned. The first is my Wilson CQB. The Warrior is reliable, incredibly accurate, looks quite purty, and has that light rail that I wanted. I really can't say enough about it -- it's a must-own for 1911 fans in my opinion.

I wouldn't hesitate to put down the cash for one. Mine has amazed me since day one.

BTW, I've got the "regular" Warrior, not the Desert Warrior -- only difference is the color.

#9 ·
CTSA1911 Warrior

Hey CTSA1911,

You've inspired me. I must now add a Kimber Warrior (I like the black finish) to my list of 1911s to own. This will be my regular carry gun. I am left-handed. I handled a Warrior in the store on Friday and noticed how rock solid the ambidextrous safety is. I had an Ed Brown ambidextrous safety professionally installed on my Colt Blued Series 80 5" barrel; however, the safety would always work itself somewhat loose over time. I got tired of this and had my Colt converted back to the original factory single-sided safety which is rock solid. I got used to simply moving my left thumb over the top to disengage for Condition 1 carry. Then I stumbled across the Kimber Warrior with a new kind of ambidextrous safety that doesn't appear to work loose. I was amazed (even though I read the Kimber safety is MIM).

I love my Colt; however, I want a workhorse 1911 with an ambi that is durable and doesn't work loose. If this Kimber Warrior ambi safety stays rock solid like the one in the store, then the Warrior will become my concealed carry workhorse defensive arm. I am 6'3" and weigh 250lbs., so I have no trouble whatsoever concealing a full-size 1911 in a Milt Sparks Summer Special.

I have two friends who retired from law enforcement. One says Kimbers are the best 1911s in the world. The other is a die hard Colt fanatic who says Kimbers are not durable and fall apart because of MIM parts. Neither friend is left-handed. The Kimber Warrior is the first 1911 I have stumbled upon that has an ambi safety the doesn't seem to work loose when you engage/disengage it. Also, I don't want to spend a fortune on every new 1911 I purchase (Novak sights, match barrel, ambi safety that doesn't come apart, etc.). The Kimber Warrior seems to cover most of the custom feature bases without breaking the bank. I plan to try one to see for myself how it holds up. If it works out, I'll buy at least another 10, and Kimber 1911s will be my workhorse/daily carry 1911s, and my beloved Colts may become safe queens. :rock:

Thanks again!

#10 ·
I love Colts too. I have one of their new Series 70 reproductions in blue. Great pistol. Not as accurate as the Kimber, but quite reliable and has that nice Pony on the slide :). BTW - even Colts have some MIM parts in them. Not as much as the Kimber, but they're there. I've had nothing break on either the Colt or my Kimber. My Kimber has more rounds down it.

I have the same trouble you're referring to with ambi-safetys. The reason that the Kimber one stays put is because its not using the grips to keep itself in place. The ambi side is actually hooked unto a dovetailed hammer pin (the pin that holds the hammer in place) that sticks out just a bit and has a notch to accept the ambi side of the safety. There's no way it's coming out. It's a copy of the King's Ambi-safety. For every 1911 I get from here on out, I'm getting the King's safety, because I agree with you -- it just works and you don't have to worry about that safety wiggling loose.

#12 ·

I have an ultra carry II which throws well clear of my head from both weaver and isosceles positions. Bear in mind, however, that as the ejection port is on the right side of the slide, the further left the pistol, the more likely spent brass will hit you--or at least fly in front of your face. It's likely not a range issue, but who's to say what may happen in a chaotic self defense situation.
Still, I love my new Kimber and my Springfield micro-compact. Too bad they don't offer Left-Handed versions!

#13 ·
Lefty

I have a TLE / RL, Raptor and Eclipse Pro Carry -(4"). All 3 have a Kimber installed ambi safety - get the Kimber one if you get a gun w/o an ambi- it fits together differently and never loosens up - My Eclipse would occasionally throw brass at me - but never had a problem with the other 2. I took a file and knocked the corner off the ejector and it changed the flight path.

As a lefty I have gotten used to seeing the ejection port on all of my guns - I actually like it better because you can spot jams, etc. quickly. I bought a true LH shotgun and it feels wierd not seeing the shell fly out.

#14 ·
Tom in CA - Response

Hi Tom. Your post is music to my ears. I hear so many negative things from some people about problems with Kimber MIM parts breaking; especially thumb safeties.

For once in my life I would love to find an ambi safety that does not work loose, come apart or break. It sounds like you have not experienced any such problem. All I hear is Colt, Colt, Colt. Problem is, you can't find any in the stores! Plus, the typical Ed Brown ambi installed on Colt's for lefties sucks in my opinion. It always works loose; I don't care who installed it.

Thanks for your feedback. I am seriously considering coming over to the Kimber camp for all my self-defense needs.

Have a great weekend!:) This forum is the greatest.

#16 ·
I'm a lefty that usually shoots right handed. My Desert Warrior makes a nice pile of empty casings to my right rear. By the way I shoot nearly as many rounds left handed as I shoot right handed, never had a problem. My Desert Warrior is my home defense pistol. I put a Streamlight TLR 200 light laser on it. I really like the set up. Dont hesitate, you will ne glad you bought it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.