1911Forum banner

Have you Painted your Sights on your A1??

17K views 64 replies 34 participants last post by  Oconee GSP 
#1 ·
I am thinking of painting my front sight due to not being able to upgrade Sights at the moment. Would love to hear some feedback on this of how you did yours and Photo's would be Awesome!!!
Thanks

#3 ·
use a toothpic to apply any color you like Charlie

degrease the front post thoroughly .
i use acetone or lacquer thinner

I apply paint using a magnifying glass (actually a magnifying visor)
You'll be able to see so well, you'll be able to "drag" the paint bubble around w/toothpic ..and you won't apply too much or get sloppy results

if you do mess up, or ever want to change colors, use the acetone or lacquer thinner to remove and start anew

..l.T.A.

#5 ·
Go to Midway.com and pick up their sight paint. It is very bright and comes in an assortment of colors. Also there are some pretty bright finger nail polishes at Wallyworld that work just about as good without paying shipping. If you are going to be doing more than just one paint job, I would stay with the sight paint. You won't be disappointed. JMHO:rofl

#6 ·
Do you paint the blade from bottom where meets slide all the way to top of sight or 2/3's way up sight??? Just use a dot half way up?? What do you like?? Thanks all for feedback!! I wanna see some of your Guns with sight painted, although I know it's a pain to do on the site!!

#31 ·
I painted the rear half of my sight with orange lure paint and replaced the rear sight with a 10-8 part. So far the combo has worked but I recently bought a front sight staking tool - so I might attempt a replacement with a fiber optic front sight.

[/QUOT]

Is a GI FS comapatible with the 10-8 rear? Obvously, it is but I thought the NM was taller than the little GI that it replaced. Do you set the top of the FS in the bottom of the U notch or level as you would a taller FS?

#11 ·
#13 ·
I did mine with whiteout, so far it's holding up pretty good. I just did enough of the front sight to fill the notch in the rear and outlined the rear. I opened up the rear a bit so it has a gap on each side of the front when it's centered. I also filed the front sight down to raise POI to get it on target.

#27 ·
Before I painted my sights, I "thought" I wanted to install new aftermarket sights. But after researching sights and the process to pick and install new sights, I thought I'd go the "cheap" way and try nail polish first. It works!
I can pick up the FS much easier against a black target in a low-lit indoor range. And in my opinion, the GI type low sights will do just fine in a home invasion-type situation. Really, I don't think I'll have to shoot an apple off a family member's head like William Tell...the GI sights will do fine inside my home, God forbid I should ever need to use it.
The GI sights may not be the most glamourous things out there, but they will work!
For me at least.

#29 ·
Raid the wifey's nail polish. I found an uber bright orange shoved in her stash and BAM easy see front sight. Used white to outline the rear then covered it all with clear. I've beat the heck out of that gun and it has yet to chip fade or come off when using cleaning solvents. Just remember to clean the surfaces real well with acetone before applying if you want it to stick for any length of time.

#36 ·
Sure did. My first attempt as to use a white base, w/blood red top coat. It did make a world of a difference. Topped it off with "hard as nails" for protection. Only thing is that even with slight roughening with steel-wool, nail polish shines too much or gives a glare that interferes with a sight picture. While I was on a campaign for a flat red or flourescent yellow/orange, I just ordered a set of Trajicon tritium's, and have been happy with them.
BTW, for RIA GI, the front sight is "narrow tenon". There are several glow-in-the-dark sights that are relatively inexpensive, and only a few dollars to get them installed. Check out Brownell's first, then Midway.

good luck

#38 ·

I painted the front sight on my CS tactical 9mm and my dad's FS. That was taken about 30 minute's after I painted it. Walmart $3 for the fingernail poilsh. I painted the front sight white with a paint pen before I put on the fingernail polish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.