1911Forum banner

What magazine brand is best for RIA 1911??

106K views 72 replies 47 participants last post by  Bryman31 
#1 ·
Hey

I just got my RIA G.I model 1911 this week! Going to the range late night tomorrow a buddy of mines was so happy I got a 1911 he gave me xtra mags. 5 Colts 7rd and 1 promag 10rd.....All lock back the slide while empty except for the promag.....however when I put a few rds of snapcaps "dummy ammo" and eject them all manually after the last rd it does lock the slide back!! Just asking what do you veteran Rock Island owners use???? Any suggestions.....

#5 ·
Ok I will keep u guys posted on the out come! Today the range open late 4p.m till 12a.m....I will make it around 8pm to post my results...Im really excited and hoping all goes well...READY 2 ROCK THIS ROCK ISLAND:rock:

#7 ·
I just left the range.......Great news!!! All 7 mags fed great but only the Mag-gear which came with the 1911 left the slide open after last round!!! Other than that it works fine! I shot 90 rds and no lock ups...I'm actually impress being it is a new firearm. My brother has a chrome plated he did have a problem with his Novak mag, so I gave him a colt it worked fine....but his 1911 is going through the break in period! He was a bit upset but all guns have that break in point. ROCK On ROCK ISLAND!!!:rock: lol

#14 ·
I guess we were both wrong,I wasn't paying attention when I typed that, I also see that I spelled Novak wrong my bad......thanks, RjSixgun, we will have to ask Auto Mag about the change in mags. I have read different posts on how to fix mags,one way is to take a punch on the right side place a dimple on the metal so the follower hits it coming up to the last round and forces it to the left to lock the slide back, the other way is to buy new followers, talk to some others I have had no hands on experience with this.
LOL! yeah I took a 2nd look we both got it wrong! I am quite satisfied with the mags I have being that all feed properly. I may buy extra mags from Meg-ar or wateva and Chip McCormick because those keeps my slide open!! I want to thank everyone who replied this forum really makes me happy with my purchase. :rock:

#15 ·
LOL! yeah I took a 2nd look we both got it wrong! I am quite satisfied with the mags I have being that all feed properly. I may buy extra mags from Meg-ar or wateva and Chip McCormick because those keeps my slide open!! I want to thank everyone who replied this forum really makes me happy with my purchase. :rock:
They all should keep your slide open, I have 13 Act made mags. they have different names, but all work as they should.

#10 · (Edited)
Its Mec-Gar, and there are the best mag made! I have used them for years in all my 1911's and CZ pistols, I have yet to have one fail to feed.
Mec-Gar is the standard mag for many well known firearms companies. Rock Island however uses Novak/ACT as there factory mag

Mec-Gar stands behind there mags 100%, years ago I had one break, so I called them up and told them the problem, I was informed that it was due to the temper of the mag and to mail it back to them for replacement. So I did, I mailed them 1 bad mag, they mailed me 2 with a letter of apology.

Now that is standing behind a product!

10 years later, I still have Mec-Gar mags in my carry gun........NO PROBLEMS!

http://www.mec-gar.com/
http://www.mec-gar.com/company.html

#13 ·
I've got a heavily customized RIA GI (all work done by Rock Island/Armscor gunsmithing wiz Arnel Bernardo).

The Novak 8rd mag that came with the pistol has run flawlessly, as well as a Tripp Research 8rd Cobra II mag.

I've also got a 7rd Tripp Research mag that has given me problems, as well as a Metalform 10rd mag that commonly gives me trouble.

#16 ·
ACT 8 rd mag

Hey all,

I have a RIA Compact .45 that came with a ACT 8 rd mag. The problem is that it consistently fails to feed the 1st round once the mag in inserted. I bought a 6 rd mag at a gun show and it has never failed. Sometimes when the 8 rd does feed, it fires a few rds and then fails again.

I tried this same mag in a friends full size Colt and it did the same thing with his. It looks like the bullet is not pointed up towards the feed ramp when it is inserted and I open slide to see once it locks up.

Any ideas?

#17 ·
Hey all,

I have a RIA Compact .45 that came with a ACT 8 rd mag. The problem is that it consistently fails to feed the 1st round once the mag in inserted. I bought a 6 rd mag at a gun show and it has never failed. Sometimes when the 8 rd does feed, it fires a few rds and then fails again.

I tried this same mag in a friends full size Colt and it did the same thing with his. It looks like the bullet is not pointed up towards the feed ramp when it is inserted and I open slide to see once it locks up.

Any ideas?
Did you buy the pistol new? it should have a 7round from the factory, the 8 round mag. sticks out 3/4 of a inch,,if it is not working right call Advanced Tactical ask for Ivan or Arnel 1-775-537-1444 they will take care of you.

#20 · (Edited)
I've used both the cheaper CMCs (shooting star? I forget) and Tripp Cobra 7rounders. Neither have given me any issues (except dropping free, I had to bang on a couple of the CMCs in certain spots to get them dropping free)

#25 ·
Mine came with an ACT mag,and I had problems occasionally with hollowpoints jamming in the magazine. I also had a problem with a round actually poppling out of the magazine. I bought a Wilson (was suggested by the instructor at the CCW class) and it works great so far,although I havent ran many rounds through it yet. The hp problem seems to be gone though. Ive had enough problems with the ACT magazine that Im going to see if they will fix/replace it under warrenty though.

#48 ·
i cant believe you have had problems with the ACT mag. i have put over 5000 rounds through the one that came with my RIA tactical. it shoots perfect in my RIA and SA TRP operator.

#26 ·
Greetings,
Every 1911 that I have owned likes and dislikes specific mags.I am sure that RIA's are no different.I have shot a friends RIA with virtually every mag that I owned(Wilson EDM,Wilson 47,Mec Gar,Act,CMC,as well as Tripp) and they all worked just fine.
But,this does not mean that yours will.So,when you do buy some mags,buy just one of the brand you want to try,
But whatever you do,DON'T GO CHEAP ON THE MAGS!
Those unknown gun show "specials"generally aren't so special:mad:
One of the most important parts on a semi-automatic firearm is the mag so get a name brand mag from one of the major makers.
Good luck and enjoy your blaster!

Regards,
DAT85

#27 ·
Thanks DAT85

I will keep your advice as well....Just wateva I have now would be for range use except for the one that came with the RIA! It works fine actually all 7 does but only 1 keeps open chamber after last rd is spent. I am looking into Chip McCormicks 8 and 10rd mags on cheaperthandirt.com now! Anyway thanx!!!:rock:

#28 ·
RIA Mags

Act mags are made in Italy - and they make the mags for Meg Gar. I bought some Chip Mc and they did not release and fall out of my RIA. I did not want to file and mess with the RIA and lose the warranty, so I sent the Chip Mc back and bought 7 round Mec Gar mags and they function flawlessly.

John

#30 ·
1911 Magazines.

I own several different full size 1911's A Gold Cup, A Sistema and a Gov't Model.

The Gold Cup will shoot any magazine with no issues. Don't care who made it it functions flawlessly. MecGar, Pro Mag, Chip McCormic, you name it I own one or two.

The other two are more particular who's magazine it will use. One doesn't like OEM Colt or Mil spec Mags. The other balks with Chip McCormic Shooting Stars.

There is only one magazine that I can load and put in all three of those
1911's and have it function flawlessly. Wilson's - PERIOD. Any model.

I've been to the range several times with friends and watched them curse their 1911 as it stove piped, FTF'd or didn't stay open after the last round. I'd hand them a Wilson Magazine and say, "here, try this". Works every time with that magazine.

I'm not shilling for Wilson, just know what's worked.

#32 ·
I have 13 mags. some are act, novak, armscore, all the same tubes, just different names, some came with pistols, some I bought later, they are all made by Act mag. I clean and relube them when I get them, I have never had a bit of trouble with any of them, they all feed well and lock the slide open, I can't believe all the posts that claim that the act mag. is junk.

#33 ·
The standard mag is VERY well made and designed. My only problem with it is that the 'pad' at the bottom looks totally out of place on the gun. Especially the std model. The tactical model looks OK with it, if it has black grips.

Also, the gun should come with at least 2 mags. They have jacked up their prices by 25% or more, its time to give you two mags!

#39 ·
I had various problems with my ACT mag. They are sending me another one and asked me to send the bad one back specificly so they can examine it and try to see what the problem was. They even suggested that I can call back in a couple of weeks and they will tell me what they found.

#38 ·
Just an FYI on Chip McCormick Shooting Star mags. While they do work, out of 3 that I have, 2 will not tip the slide stop after the last shot. And I've seen this problem in other 1911's with these same magazines.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.