1911Forum banner

Sig 1911 Scorpion and what ammo to shoot

6K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  xdjyo 
#1 ·
After running 500 rounds of PMC Bronze through my 1911 Scorpion, I decided it was time to figure out what be the best HD/EDC ammo for me to carry.
This is a case of "just wanting to be sure".
The wife and I went to the range and I took eight different types of ammo with me.

WWB 230 gr FMJ
Privi Partizan 230 gr FMJ
Federal American Eagle 230 gr FMJ
Speer Gold Dot 200 gr JHP
Barnes Tac XPD 185 gr JHP
Hornady Critical Defense 185 gr
Winchester PDX-1 230 gr JHP
Remington UMC 230 gr JHP

I had the wife randomly number the ammo on a spreadsheet and she loaded the magazines with five rounds each.
To ensure I remained as unbiased as possible, I made sure I didn't look at them as I loaded the mags into the gun.
Each five shot group was fired from 15 yards using a standard two-handed Weaver, with no more than two seconds between shots.

Here's the results:

I fired a total of 50 rounds each after the "accuracy" part of the test, and jotted down a few notes:

Barnes Tac XPD was the softest shooting, with the least muzzle flash.
Speer Gold Dot had the harshest/sharpest recoil, with the most muzzle flash.
Winchester (White Box) had 3 x FTF's in only 50 rounds.

Based upon my less-than-scientific results, I have no reservations about on carrying the Barnes Tac XPD and depending on it with my life.

Note: After my wife's XD-S came back from the recall, we conducted the same type of test, but with only 5 types of ammo, from 7 yards.

It was a toss-up between the Barnes Tac XPD and the Critical Defense for accuracy, but with the softer recoil and muzzle flip and lesser muzzle flash, the Barnes won out.

We could have been more accurate shooting from a bench or rest, but I figured the BG's won't give me a chance to set things up, or stand in front of a benched gun for very long.

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
They were the LE Gold Dots, and no I don't have an anticipation issue. However, I value everyone's input!
I strive to achieve a surprise break and am successful most of the time.
Of course, no one is ever 100%.
My wife, on the other hand is forever trying to force the gun to go bang.
I work with her every range session.
She's getting better.

As far as ammo, different ammo for different people.

#7 · (Edited)
Good looking out, John!
You can never have too many mags and I've heard nothing but good things about the ETM's.

The Gold Dots were the 200gr LE (I wrote 230gr on over-write on the target).
When I shot the first mag, the wife said "Wow, what the heck is that?".
We both agree that they were the most uncomfortable to shoot.

You've got to try some of the Barnes Tac-XPD 185gr +P. You won't want to shoot anything else after that.

#8 ·
Cool. I'll have to see if I can put my hands on some of that.

Thanks for the suggestion and detailed research.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.