1911Forum banner

compensated barrel bushing

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  sniper8421 
#1 ·
I have a compensated barrel bushing for a CD 1911 A1 and need to remove about .005 to .006 from the inside diameter so it will fit my barrel. What is the easiest way to do this so it will fit correctly and not cause malfunction? Thanks for your comments.:scratch:
tjhpuma

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum.

This has been discussed (bushing comps), and the consensus is don't waste your time. They're useless except for putting a very small amount of wgt. out front. Hopefully you can take it back or sell it to somebody. Don't mean to sound mean, but don't waste your time. Sorry, Tracy

#3 ·
Agreed. No compensating effect with the hole in the comp as big as the muzzle, rather than as big as the bullet. A tungsten guide rod will do a lot more of what you are trying to do with the bushing comp.

#5 ·
Hi

If memory serves, tungsten is heavier than steel and titanium is much lighter than steel, which is why Boeing uses it in aircraft. Titanium is used in light, seldom shot carry guns. Tungsten is used in heavier target guns that get shot all of the time. Tungsten is also used in machine tools I think, and might wear on your steel, which is why they use them it for guide rods. The guide rod only touches the spring. The wear differences between titanium and steel are NOT why you're buying one or the other.

#6 ·
With all due respect......I dissagree

i've fitted a compensated barrel bushing on my Norinco 1911A1. In combination with my reloaded ammo there was a major reduction in muzzlerise and recoil
A friend of mine gave me an old 38 Super compensator and a collegue of mine machined it so it would fit over the tube of the bushing.
Although it doen't work as a normal compensated gun there is again less muzzleriseand recoil. When I fire the weapon there is almost no movement to the back. Muzzlerise is 3/4 centimeters at the most
I agree on your comment that the weight is probably helping in this matter.

@tjhpuma: You could check out this product from Wilson Combat(see foto). I thought they called it: Wilson Combat Barrel Bushing Compensator. I've seen it on the website of MidwayUSA

Attachments

#7 ·
I must disagree with your disagreement

I have had a few customerrs who have tried those comps and, other than a little weight, they're worthless. I've tried their weapons myself and agree...no diffence in recoil. For a comp to work it needs to be part of the barrel, not the bushing.

Bob

#8 ·
Yes No Yes No

One person say they work, another one say they don't.
I agree a full 100%with you that a compensated bushing will not work as good as a compensated barrel. I've fitted one and I'm satisfied with it. I just state that they work to a certain point.
Maybe it's the caliber (.45ACP), maybe it's my reloaded ammo. Maybe it's all between my ears, but even then.............it works for me.

Greetings
Martin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.