1911Forum banner

Inherent weakness in Rock Island M1911A1?

19K views 28 replies 19 participants last post by  Trekker 
#1 · (Edited)
18 months ago I bought a new RIA 1911 to use as a practice gun for learning 1911 mechanics and detail stripping. After the purchase, I got busy doing other stuff and the RIA has been parked in my safe.

In rediscovering this gun recently, I've decided that it's a handsome piece that now appeals to me as a carry gun...or at least a gun to keep in the truck for "contingencies". I've replaced the original grips, but everything else is stock.

My RIA has performed flawlessly thru several hundred rounds. My theory usually is 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. However, I'm wondering if there is a weakness, a fragile or poorly designed part, that should be replaced as a cautionary step. I'm just looking for reliable gun that won't get lots of range time or other use. Any suggestions from you RIA experts?

#3 ·
I hope not

I've put a lot of rounds through mine in the short time i've had it. From what I read here most people get a good one that never misses a beat (like yours and mine) others have flaws. The shortcomings of the ria, in my experience are:
1 the parked finish comes off way to easy (i keep it oiled) one day in a serpa holster and it took a lot off.
2 the grip screws are soft, I stripped one out (ria sent me new ones at no charge)

I do know their cs is first rate. Also with 1911's I believe if it works from the start then it will keep working.
That's all I've got

#4 ·
All I have replaced so far is the triggers, grips and grip screws. This is because I like long triggers, nice looking grips and I have acid hands so stainless grip screws seems like a good idea. I have 2, both FS, one is a GI and one is the new Tactical rail gun. I use both for range guns.

#7 ·

My RIA has performed flawlessly thru several hundred rounds. My theory usually is 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. However, I'm wondering if there is a weakness, a fragile or poorly designed part, that should be replaced as a cautionary step.

that's a loaded questions with a myriad of subjective answers depending on the owner

Some would suggest NO production 1911 is "ready for carry" til every MIM part has been replaced with top-o-da-line bar stock/tool steel parts ...that were professionally installed by a hi-end custom 'smith ...that also detailed every part of the pistol

others find them just fine the way they are
(assuming thy had enough good sense to shoot a 4-500 rnds hundred rounds to prove reliability )

and some are somewhere in between
( "might" be one of those)

I've never broke a MIM part on any pistol , and I "hear" that if a MIM part is going to fail before it's time, it's due to a manufacturing defect and generally happens rather early in the round count.

having said that, I'll admit to feeling just a tad more comfortable with a top quality extractor

..l.T.A.

#11 ·
Do you modify your RIA 1911s?

Mike and others - Do you modify your pistols or keep them stock? If you replace certain parts why?

Because RIAs are economical to buy, I suspect some folks swap out lots of parts to 'enhance' the performance. I'd like to leave mine alone.

#10 · (Edited)
Is the extractor a suspect part?

Cappi suggested above that a high quality, machined extractor might add a measure of reliability to a RIA 1911. Is a MIM extractor a common failure point or just a less precise method of manufacturing this critical part?

By the way, all I plan to use in my .45 is ball ammo.

#15 ·
The only problems I had were the stock grips(those slick pos things) and when I first got it it rattled a bit after it was in con 1. All I had to do was oil it a bit more and replace the extracter.

#16 ·
All I've done is replace the grips, clean it and lube it. Having said that, I've only run a magazine through it, but I didn't have a single issue. Hit the target at 20 yds, too.

#18 ·
Seriously though, the only mod I have made is on my nickle tactical. The plastic grips were sharp in my hands. I swapped them out for some Hogue two piece grips. Feels much better. Will change out the main spring housing when I have a little money, but it is ok for now. The rest are the way I brought them home. Just show them love by shooting them a lot.

#19 · (Edited)
I have never had a MIM fail while shooting, I did have a strange thing happen one morning, I went shooting with a friend to his lake house in the Ozarks, 5 acres in the boonies, his pick up was not covered, I set my range bag in the bed and away we went, 11/2 hrs later we were there, we messed around for awhile working on the tractor, 2 hrs later we went to shoot at his back yard range, it had warmed up to about 20% by then, it was about 08% when we left my house, I fired 3 rounds from my RIA GI. third round just a click, further inspection reviled a broken firing pin spring. grabbed my Ruger KP90DC fired one round, same thing, finished shooting with my carry CS, both pistols had a lot of dry fire time. the only think I could think of spring fatigue, and extreme cold together caused the breakage?

#20 ·
Thanks

All posts are much appreciated. What I take away at this point is a) respect my pistol and take care of it, 2) shoot it a lot and 3) keep it stock unless I get the bug to 'kick it up a notch' like Dave Waits. In other words, use it the way I would any other firearm.

It amazes me that Rock Island is such a great value...price and quality. Mine was bought with an experimental/educational purpose in mind, but it's turned out to be a nice addition to my regular collection. Go figure.

#22 ·
Recoil springs are the only weakness of the 1911 and you can buy them for as cheap as 3 bucks. Well for a GI size gun. You have to keep them swapped out CS guns evry 500-800 rounds is suggested but i went 3500 rounds before i changed mine. This is the first automatic I have ever owned so I am learning, I fell in love with the caliber not really the gun but the 1911 is still a better a far safer gun to carry than a Single action with no safety and hammer down on an empty chamber holding only 5 rounds can be bad if being shot at be sevral people. 8 shots or if using a 8 round mag you get 9 in a .45 thats a formidlabe weapon and most people will say a handgun is meant to let you fend off the enemy until you can get a rifle.I just wish some one other then S&W would make a .45 auto double action revolver.

#24 ·
Longevity as a measure of reliability

I know some folks carry a favorite 1911 for years, put lots of practice rounds through it and do little for maintenance except consistent cleaning and lubrication; some field strip but don't go beyond minimum cleaning. Stories abound of Colts and others that perform for decades without part breakage or any breakdown. That is the ultimate, 'normal use' reliability test.

Have any of you guys experienced similar reliability with your RIAs? Has your 1911 performed like the energizer bunny over years with nominal maintenance and little or no repair? I'm thinking in terms of personal carry use with practice rounds of 500 to 1,000 rounds per year. Trouble free longevity is what I'm asking about.

#25 ·
Trek, parts wear and can break at any given time ...really no way to predict it.

It's likely the average shooter will never put enough rnds thru their pistol to be concerned .

if it helps with your concerns, one of my Rocks had over 4000 rnds on stock parts ...nary a bobble
The other had maybe 6000 ..stock parts ....bullet proof reliable

My Colt Gold Cup broke the ejector in less than 500 rnds ...and it's not a MIM part.
It's since run close to 10,000 rnds without a hic-up

don't over think it, Bro.
If your pistol is reliable thru the first 500 rnds, the odds are you'll not have any trouble for the next 5000-10,000 and beyond .

..L.T.A.

#26 ·
longevity

imho, as a collector , investor and shooter the RIA are great, i generally shoot them aside from a grip change as they come in the box, that being said, they are like our cars , motorcycles each person may or may not change things about them , we make them like we want, as far as reliability goes, everytime i pull the trigger they go bang, I have many 1911s that i paid 1000s for , if i shoot for fun i shoot my rocks, they are resonably priced, shoot well and i dont worry about anything but having fun, i bought a colt combat commander 32 years ago when i was 18, its mt edc it has everything done to it you could imagine, its reliable and im confident in its ability to perform exceptionally, aside from changes made 25-30 years ago i havent changed a thing on it, i havent owned my rocks long enough to give a history of there performance..6 yrs...i can tell you i will not invest or collect anymore high dollar guns, not that they are not worth it , its just i can enjoy a 500.00 gun more and RIAs fit that very well , to all who own and collect its what hits the paper and makes you happy that really counts..not whos name is on the slide , buy shoot enjoy , that what 1911s mean to me ....be safe shoot straight..buy all you can ..just my long 2 cent ...:rock:

#27 ·
There are no magical break-free parts, there is no perfect pistol, we more than likely did walk on the moon, and so long as you inspect the parts for wear every now and again you'll be fine. Everyone gets bound up with the idea that their pistol will fail at the crucial moment or that they're going to shoot through barriers, active shooters, lions, and tigers, and bears oh my...our hobby certainly breeds a certain level of paranoia.

Two Rocks that I've owned both in the hands of other men now. Both have had thousands of rounds go down range without a single breakage, ftf, or even a polite little burp. The GI did end up with an extended slide stop since the new owner has smaller hands and finds the extensions easier to reach and Hogues and the tactical just ended up with a set of good pachs. The finish wears but that's not a crucial, life threatening weakness...they're fun to shoot but I think you won't think it's a fun idea in a life threatening situation so that ain't exactly critical either. Soft grip screws...not a problem for carry so much as the guy who likes to detail strip or change out his grips like women change shoes and purses.

I do recall being some four years younger with my first RIA and being told on this Forum...before this part of the forum even existed...that the RIA was unsuited for self defense of concealed carry and that it was nothing more than a truck or range gun. Oddly when asked why it wasn't appropriate the other party could only come back with "It doesn't say Colt and hasn't been gone over by such and such a smith, wizard, warlock, jesuit, mormon, the pope, or even annointed with the blood of a virgin!" All japes, jokes, and snarkiness aside I agree with the mantra of, "If it ain't broke don't fix it!" Change things out as they come, inspect parts now and again for wear and tear, and avoid dropping it from high buildings.

My .02 cents was longer...hmmm...maybe I should have tossed in .06 cents.

#28 ·
I own three two used the used ones both have over 6k down the pipe. The 4 in had to go back
But R.I.A did me a solid. Tuned it up replaced all,
The springs etc..She is now back in my edc rotation.
My used G.I is on my hip as we speak.
My tac is going back because of a sweat issue.
It touches me and the nickel is wearing,
So they said send it back, a new tac issued (parker)
All is well,but other than that.
They run so sweet they will give you a cavity:rock:
Run them till the color comes off, and enjoy

#29 ·
I'm feelingbgood about my RIA 1911, thanks to you

Many thanks for the testimony supporting RIAs as a fundamentally solid, reliable performer just the way they come in the box. Not that I doubted the reliability of RIA, but there is so much chatter out there about Glock issues around the Gen 4 9mm (9mm MIM parts) and general misgivings about MIM parts, that it seemed reasonable to ask about the experience of long term RIA users.

For the price we pay, RIA buyers seem to be getting one terrific value. Can't think of a better way to spend my firearms bucks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.