1911Forum banner

10mm Self Defense Ammo ( what do you carry?)

20K views 77 replies 38 participants last post by  Rifter 
#1 · (Edited)
I myself carry the winchester 175gr silvertip in my stainless target 2, the ammo shoots nice not a bad recoil. Its been a while since I looked to see if there are any newer or better offerings for the 10mm in a self defense round to be used in an urban areas, where sometimes I wonder/worry if the 175gr will be a liability issue. When I go out walking thru the woods I tend to carry buffalo bore 220 gr. Hard Cast - FN (1,200 fps/ME 703 ft. lbs.) where the penetration ( I have shot the norma stuff & I even have a trophy box on my shelf) is more need incase I happen across some type of 4-legged friend. Like I said I was just wondering if there was anything better out there today i should be considering......
G

#57 ·
I got a chance to shoot a few double tap 165gr BJHP rounds and compare them to the
winchester silvertip HP. I've seen the bashing for the current double tap ammo in a few places, but I have to say after shooting both the DT 165gr & the W/STHP I'm now going to use the double tap ammo for self defense. Now I don't have any way of testing the velocity of the ammo but in comparrison to the STHP the double tap was right there with it in the recoil. The DT just grouped better out of my kimber stainless target two, I was shooting paper plates at 12 yards. Just for * & giggles I used two pieces of HARD oak boards ( back to back ) each 2.5" thick to attach the plates to ( now I know this isn't an "offical" test) & I was suprised to see that both the 175gr STHP & the DT 165 BJHP went into the board roughly the same distance right about 2 1/4~ 2 3/8 inches with a full mushroom & NO jacket separation from neither round tested.
For the hell of it I also tried the buffalo bore 220gr hard cast lead round, that too was very accurate and it went thru one 2 1/2" board & continued through the second board for another 1 3/4" which was & is suprising to me. I guess because of the penetration difference between the 3 loads, I never expected it to go that far.
Like I said I know its not a offical test, just a quick comparison, & none of the three different loads ever gave me any FTF or FTE or any sort if issue for that matter its just the fact the DT grouped better for me personally
G

#58 ·
I think that if you are going to use a 10mm, the ideal loads are those closest to the original Norma load, Which would be a 200 grain bullet at 1200 FPS or if that is not available, then a 180 grain bullet at 1300 FPS should be more than enough. Personally,I feel that the 135 grain bullets lack the sectional density needed to penetrate clothing and other secondary barriers without compromising expansion. But, as I know from personal experience, being shot with anything is no walk in the park.

#59 · (Edited)
I carry 135gr nosler JHP (1500fps) or 165gr GDHP (1300fps). The velocities look a tad low for 10mm but that's because they're out of a Glock 29SF... not bad for a subcompact. I really want to try some of those BuffaloBore or DoubleTap 125gr TAC-XP (1600fps) - I'll bet they are great for lower penetration & expansion.

The G29 is fun to shoot and small enough for EDC, but the grip is a little too chunky and just doesn't "feel right". Plus, it doesn't wear as comfortably a slim 1911, revolver, or smaller caliber glock. I'm currently looking into having a 10mm CCO style 1911 built for EDC. Wish I could just find a DW 10mm CCO for sale and be done with it.

#78 ·
Yeah, I don't buy 'far superior' either. I've seen .357 Mag 158 gr. JHP bounce off of windshields without holing the glass at all. Never seen a .45 do that, even with plain old ball 230 gr.

There has to be a reason why most of the special operators in the military want a .45 when they're going into Indian Country. You'd think after all the years of trying to come up with an adequate sub-.45 round that worked as well all around as the .45 -- and not succeeding -- they'd quite blowing that particular horn.

#71 ·
I suspect 'intercooler' is not a member here, but he recently videoed and recorded the speeds of some older Double Tap 10mm ammo.

2005-2007 era Double Tap 10mm ammo chronograph results:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=652805&page=7

I have a bunch of DT ammo from that time frame and provided some for testing. Seems performance met spec with those older rounds.

Then, on that same thread, 'drsjr1969' followed up with chronograph data of newer DT ammo that fell well below what the label stated.

Hopefully, Kevin of Underwood Ammo can keep up with demand. I recently bought over 500 rounds from him. His ammo meets spec and cartridge bullets are what you expect them to be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.