1911Forum banner

Help me ID These Slide Stops.

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  chambersaviator 
#1 ·
I think they are Remington Rand but I'm not sure how to tell them apart from Ithaca. Any help appreciated!

No 1

See less See more
#6 ·
They might be MIM parts but if so they are very high quality because I see no evidence of a sprue hole.

I still don't understand the panic over MIM parts. Almost every 1911 now uses them and if they were as bad as some say there shouldn't be a functional 1911 that was made after the turn of the century.

#8 ·
Of the two posted, one has four ribs and one has five ribs. Most RR and Ithaca slide stops that I have seen recently have five ribs, although a few have four ribs. Were those original to the guns? Who knows. Some that I have looked at also have less prominent serrations than the ones that you show. There seems to be a considerable amount of variation involved.

The length of the serrated part of the slide stop looks about right on yours. Many of the later non-GI slide stops have a longer or shorter serrated section.

I also looked at what Joe Poyer has to say about this. He refers to the five rib slide stop as a Type 3 slide stop, which was used by RR. Ithaca, and on some Colt commercials. The four rib is a Type 4, used in post-WW II Colts.

#10 · (Edited)
I submitted an offer for the top one. They both have 5 serrations if you look close. I closely compared both of your slide stops to my broken original piece and they are, in my uneducated opinion, correct type 3 serrated slide stops. BTW, R.Rand, Ithaca, and Colt all used the type 3 slide stop in late WW2 production.

#11 · (Edited)
Here's the slide stop on a 1944 Ithaca. It's really hard to say if yours are WW2-era USGI or not. So many of these serrated slide stops have been made post-WW2 that it's pretty difficult to ID a proper WW2-era part anymore.

#13 · (Edited)
The one I changed out was on a Remington Rand, which is why I didn't show it. This Ithaca stayed in the vet's garage for several decades, so it is most likely all original.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.