1911Forum banner

Auto Drive for Dillon 650

13K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  Emerson 
#1 ·
Ponsness/Warren now have an Auto Drive for a Dillon 650 found it here. If I only had a 650 :( ( I have a 550)

Here is a video of a Dillon 1050 running on the Auto Drive.

#2 ·
What happens when you get a case upside down in the auto case feeder tube?

I get all kinds of little hiccups I have to fix manually. I can't imagine turning on a reloading press and walking away.

#4 ·
WOW...Just WOW!!! I wondered how long it would take before someone came up with one. I guess if you were selling reloads, or were shooting that much, it would have a place. I imagine that they will sell some. I looked at the bullet feeder, but just couldn't "pull the trigger"..

#5 ·
A lazy reloader's dream come true (read: me)! That's a hefty price tag though. I'm sure it will have appeal to commercial reloaders looking to cut down on the tennis elbow problems.

IIRC, MEC used to offer something similar for their shotshell reloader. I remember seeing and thinking how great it would be to have that as opposed to my manual indexed MEC650. Don't recall what kind of dollars were involved though.

#6 · (Edited)
Auto Drive

The auto drive and a bullet feeder would be good for a commercial reloader.
The Ponsness Warren auto feed has been around for a while. Since I only reload for my own needs, my Dillon 1050 works fine for my highest volume load, which is the 9mm. I may start shooting a lot of .40S&W in the future, so I just may purchase an extra 1050 tool head. The 9mm, .40S&W, and the .38 super all use the same shell plate and small primer, so it would be a relatively easy swap to start loading any of the above with an extra tool head or two. I also have a dedicated STAR machine for .45 and a D550 with extra tool heads and powder measures for .380, .223, 9mm, .38super, and .40s&W. The .380 and .223 also use the same shell plate, and all of these calibers use small primers, so I don't hve to change the priming assembly...pretty quick to change!

#7 ·
Never say never but, even with loading primer tubes, I can still run off 1000 .45's in a single evening in a couple hours. That's at least enough for a week's shooting, once the stinking weather warms up.

Now, if I was reloading for all my grandsons, I might look into it.

Naw, I'd make em reload for themselves.:)

#11 ·
BillD:

If your grandsons are able to reload on your 1050 for free, they should load a couple of hundred for you each time as a "user fee":biglaugh: My grandsons are still too young to reload.....perhaps when they get older.....?
I only go up to a 650. I'm reloading challenged.

The kids are still young, but I'm planning for the future. If they want to shoot reloads, they are gonna reload for me too.

Course, you know we will still be buying all the components.

#18 ·
I have the Hydraulic / foot operated - presses from MEC ...9000-HN series / for 12, 20, 28ga and .410 and they work great. The hydraulics will easily load 20 boxes an hour or 500 shells an hour. I had shoulder reconstruction a year ago / the foot pedal makes it easier on my repaired shoulder.

Machine

I have a cut off valve on the pump - so I can keep 2 loaders setup on bench / but just operate one at a time. The 12ga is always on the left / then I swap the one on the right out in 20, 28ga or .410 ... it just takes a minute to disconnect the hose and bleeder tube ...and drop the new loader in place.

On the MEC system - the electric motor and pump are pretty heavy / so they stay on the floor / the foot pedal is attached .. but it works very well.

I can see putting a foot pedal operated mechanism on a Dillon 650 would be a very good option ( but I have 10 grandkids / 5 of them are of "shooting age" ..and they can go thru some ammo ....). But I think I'll wait and see if Dillon comes up with an option on their own.

#22 ·
Dillon said adding ANY unapproved non-dillon part to their press "will" (not "might") void the warranty. Granted, something like an auto drive would likely be at least suspected in most press malfunctions, but they still would have to show in court that a preponderance of the evidence indicated that it did, not that it might have, caused the malfunction.

Then, he didn't limit the threat to just an auto drive, but any non-dillon equipment! Ouch, no non-dillon dies?! What about someone else's powder measure? They do sell an adapter for using other powder measures, but I haven't seen their list of "approved" powder measures to be used with it. Beware, don't put an acro-bin from anyone else on that press!

Andy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.