1911Forum banner

.45 ACP performance comparison

6K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  Pinecone 
#1 · (Edited)
So from what I have gathered WC uses multiple types of ammo to test fire every weapon for reliability. FMJ, HP, and LSWC! But, from what brands of ammo?

WC used 200 H&G #68 LSWC to test/sight my CQB Elite. So I would imagine this ammo would give me the best performance since it was used on my 5 shot test target. I have read a few reviews and it seems to be popular, a good performer, clean burning, etc.

The only problem is that unless I plan on reloading the only place I can find it for sale is the WC website for 50 rnd boxes. I like to buy in bulk! My time is worth it!

Summary:

Good place to find ammo comparison info?

Who makes the best of each type of ammo for my 5" CQB-E?

FMJ?
HP?
LSWC?

Who makes the best "bang for buck" of each of the three types of ammo?

Probably another good question for the WCR since I am sure WC has kept some kind of record of performance of ammo for their guns! Maybe WCR can ask the guys who sight every gun? :)

Here is a good reader: http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=241301

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Pinecone,
We use 200grain LSWC reloads for accuracy testing for a variety of reasons.
They are accurate and reliable loads and the SWC bullet cuts a nice hole in the target. Since we also shoot a lot in testing-82-100+ rounds, we use reloads to be able to control supply and also cut costs.

The "Bill Wilson" load we sell is a terrific load in virgin brass and tumbled after processing.
The problem is, outside of us, I don't know of anyone who sells a quality 200 grain LSWC reload or factory new load....

Good quality, US produced hardball is typically OK and QC is improving since ammo factories are no longer running 3 shifts a day. If you plan on shooting A LOT, reloading is a great idea.

#3 ·
Alright, lets reword this a little to get some responses! To all WC owners out there! I am kind of an ammo noob! Heck, just saying noob makes me a noob. Never really thought much about it before. Just shot whatever and preferred whatever left me with the cleanest gun!

What ammo do you shoot?
Out of what gun?
barrel size?
purpose?

That should be easy enough! I hope! :confused:

#8 ·
I always use plain Jane Remington 230 grain harball, and after 3000+ rounds in my 4" WC Professional I have never had a single problem. None, zip, nada. Very consistent and amazingly accurate. That may of course be due to the gun, not the bullet. God knows I shoot my WC better than any other gun I own, or have ever had for that matter.

Interesting side note. I took my 14 year old grandson to the range this weekend. We shot my 9mm Glock and the WC. The difference between accuracy in the 2 guns in a novice shooter was amazing. His comment was telling, the Glock feels "sloppy". It was a good lesson in you get what you pay for. There is a difference. His new favorite handgun of choice. A Wilson Combat, of course.

#4 ·
You got to love Wilson Combat the only company the "recommends" reloads. The "other companies" tell you it voids your warranty....

After looking at what WC was using I switched to VV 310 under Montana Gold 230 JHP and never looked back. It is the cleanest burning powder I have used and I tried a lot of them.

#12 ·
I would like to see case prices with savings on all the ammo. My last two ammo purchases were for 1000 rnds each.

#9 ·
i shoot, have shot, 'bill's load' for many years. different powders, but 4.2-4.6g clays for the last decade. (4.2 for an idpa 'gamer' load; 4.6 for ball equivalent).

i only got my 1st wilson pistol 3 weeks ago, but i've been smart enough to listen to what bill wilson says about 1911s a couple decades longer than that. :)

joe

#10 ·
I am more than certain a "case" price on the 200 SWC load, or any of your ammo offerings would be appealing to everybody!! :rock:

So, yes...bulk is so much easier, saves time, and saves money too!!

:eek: (the caption for this one says EEK!, but for me it is my O-Face!! As in Oh, oh, oh!!! (<<Office Space!)

#14 · (Edited)
2k, wow...

I would buy in 2k lots if offered and the price was even better! I'm gonna shoot it eventually!

I usually buy 1k at a time usually when I get under 200 rnds per caliper! A typical range outing is 500+ rnds of 9mm (work gun) and 100-200 or so of the rest!

#15 ·
WCR... Yes, a case price on all the ammunition that you offer would be appreciated.
It would mean savings on the ammunition and shipping plus we would have what we need. May I suggest a 500 round case and a 1000 round case price.

#17 · (Edited)
WCR, you are awesome! Thanks for putting in the time and don't think your efforts ever go unnoticed! Processes like this and customer service are reason enough for me to buy WC! Besides, I don't want the boxes! Just shove the ammo in a Wally World bag and then into a flat rate shipping box! :biglaugh:

#18 ·
Great news...... and again,,, Wilson Combat listens to it's customers. I can't say how much I've been impressed with this company. :rock:

#22 ·
WCR,
I like what you guys are doing with these. Im really liking the case the ammo comes in.:rock: If you could divulge who is the bullet supplier for your SWC. They look really good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.