1911Forum banner

ruger sr1911 problems

12K views 32 replies 24 participants last post by  Nwmarc 
#1 ·
started to do a full tear down on my ruger sr1911. found something that im very disappointing in finding. there is a crack in the frame right behind the msh where the slot is for the spring. ive been have quite bit of trouble getting any hit with it when at the range its been shooting far left like a foot left at maybe 50ft. i wanted to tear it down and look it over and clean it and try one more time before i call ruger up and see if they can look at it( maybe 250 round threw it so far) it my first pistol so i thought it was me intill i had a friend shoot it and he had the same problem. this is with me and a friend that has been shooting for at least 20 years and does bowling pin and steel matchs. we bench shot it as well and still off . we have moved the sight and didnt make much if any difference.

anyway wanted to know how common are these casting crack in ruger frames? i know im going to try and get a new one . i dont think that is a high stress spot but im sure over its life it will keep to spider out

thanks for the help.

See less See more
#2 ·
The crack you have is probably not dangerous in and of itsself but it is indicative of a bad casting...contact Ruger and have it replaced. That's my opinion.

#3 ·
It will see no stress there. As said it looks to me to be a casting flaw and is cosmetic. Contact Ruger, but if it we'er mine, I forget it and enjoy the forearm.

Just my two cents.

Be Safe:cool:

#5 ·
I don't think it's dangerous either, but I wouldn't like it either. Have you contacted Ruger? They are the only ones who can fix your issues, and my experience with that company indicates they will fix it for you. Contact them and tell them what the problems are and I'll bet they send you an authorization to send it in to get things made right.

#6 ·
call ruger they will make it right. i have only used their cs once but it was a positive no bs experience. i had to send in my mini 14 total time was 9 days including shipping.

tell them you want them to pay the shipping. they will not offer but if you ask they will pay.

#9 ·
thanks for the tip on free shipping scubdad

yea im sure it not a bid deal but i did pay for new and i would expect it to be right. at least hopefully this will give me more pull on having them look it over and get it sighted in or look it over and find out why it so far of from where you aim and the bullet impact. i shoot both my friend 1911 a springfield and a caspin custom gun he built and im a pretty decent shot with both of those but with mine neither him nor i are consistent with it and it far the the left

#11 ·
On the other subject you brought up.... I don't think this crack has anything to do with how it shoots. I would also ask Ruger to re-sight your pistol.

Until I can group a bunch (30+ rounds) into the relative same space, I don't touch the sights. Shot placement will also be affected by the ammo you choose. But what you describe does not sound like a ammo issue.

Good luck with the repair and better luck getting the shots right.

#17 ·
I'm not an expert of 1911. But the crack is that for real? That will proves whose superior between the forge frame and casted frames or can be differentiates a 1911 that cost below 1k’s and above 1k’s.
I don’t really into seeing things for out of the look but rather than seeing things that what is it in the inside… & that will last!

#18 ·
they will get a call monday morning. hopefully i can get a new one and make sure they sight it in at the factory.

yea the crack is real it doesnt go all the way threw to the mag well side but you can see where it is on the other side.

im new to firearms but i dont think that a casted frame is really at a disadvantage if everything is up to par. ruger has been back ordered on these since they were released a year ago. as long as they make it right i have nothing bad to say. anything manufactured is bound to have a few subpar unit get threw the door it all about how they handle it. i let you guys know what happens but im sure from what everyone is saying they will make it right.

#20 ·
I picked one up last week and upon examining it at home, I found a 1/4" x 1/32 " piece of metal in the mag well. It was the piece that came out of that sear spring mounting hole in the mag well where the op's crack was located. Looks like nobody looks at them prior to being shipped out. Other than that, the gun is perfect. I'm very pleased with the quality.

#24 ·
looking at mine not sure how 1911 are but it look like the cut out for the sear spring isnt supost to go all the way threw. id say more then half of mine is kind of loose and i could push it all the way off with a screw driver.

yea other then this and the fact that it shoot far far left im happy with it . it a great looking gun and feel right in the hand just wish i could hit anything beyond 5yards away with it

#21 ·
Dc1989

Were did you but this pistol at ,was It from a gun store, or some place else? If you got It at a gun store they should stand behind It and do all the shipping for you. But like you had said. Call Ruger first and see just what they tell you, and take It from there. When you have them on the phone, tell them every thing you had said on here, write In down before you froget It all Good luck.
Hank.

#25 ·
Were did you but this pistol at ,was It from a gun store, or some place else? If you got It at a gun store they should stand behind It and do all the shipping for you. But like you had said. Call Ruger first and see just what they tell you, and take It from there. When you have them on the phone, tell them every thing you had said on here, write In down before you froget It all Good luck.
Hank.
i bought it from budsgunshop.com almost 2 months ago

#23 ·
You can actually contact Ruger thru their online contact form, and they will get back to you. It seems like that is what I did with a brand new Ruger lemon I had. (Not 1911) They emailed me a pre-paid UPS shipping label. Pretty easy. If they repair your gun, they will ship it back to you. If they replace the gun, it is treated like a new gun and they must send it to your FFL and you will go thru all the paperwork as if you were buying a new gun.

Not sure what I would do if it were my gun, but I would be tempted to send it back. However, there must be another issue going on for accuracy. Include photos, video and anything else you have to help “paint the picture” for them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.