1911Forum banner

Kimber Solo - Initial Slide and Magazine Problem

24K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  So Sweet 
#1 ·
There are a number of posts on the forum about various problems with Kimber Solo so I'm seeking guidance from others who may have experienced the problem I encountered yesterday. I purcahsed a new Kimber Solo CDP a couple weeks ago and took it to the range yesterday to shoot for the first time (after initial field strip and clean).

1st problem: I loaded a magazine, inserted it in the mag well and pulled the slide back. The slide could only be pulled back about 5/8 of an inch, not enough to feed a round into the chamber. I can look down into the chamber ejection port (with the slide pulled back 5/8" there is about 5/16" of space to look into the ejection port) and see the round at the top of the magazine just begins to spring upwards. Currently the slide is stuck. It can't be pulled back easliy nor can it spring forward and close.

2nd problem: I can't seem to release the magazine now, at least not as easily as it should be able to be released. Prior to my visit to the range yesterday I inserted and released the magazine multiple times without any problems. However, it seems that the combination of the spring forces (slide problem #1 mentioned above pushing forward and magazine spring pushing upwards) are enough to tilt the magazine slightly forward at the top of the mag well so the magazine catches agressively penetrate the catch slots on the magazine to the point it is difficult to release the magazine with what should be a reasonable force on the magazine catch release.

Currently I have a full magazine in the Solo without the ability to release it easily from the mag well. I've pushed hard on the mag release catch button (from both sides). I believe I could release the magazine by pushing even harder on the catch relase, but I don't want to casue damage to the Solo.

I'd apprecaite hearing from any Solo owners/users to learn if you have experinced this same problem and how you may have solved it.

See less See more
#8 ·
No problem cycling the slide by hand after reassembly. The slide worked perfectly after reassembly. I read some other posts after I posted my experience this morning and thought about the mechanics of what was going on and decided it wouldn't hurt to try really pushing hard on the magazine catch button. I had to really push hard but the magazine did finally release. Then I disassembled it and reassembled it checking my work again against the manual and I had assembled it correctly. I was finally able to chamber a round by only placing four rounds in the magazine. I intend to go to the range one evening this week and try again.

#7 ·
No. Couldn't be because the slide worked perfectly after reassembly. In fact, I read some other posts after I posted my experience this morning and thought about the mechanics of what was going on and decided it wouldn't hurt to try really pushing hard on the magazine catch button. I had to really push hard but the magazine did finally release. Then I disassembled it and reassembled it checking my work again against the manual and I had assembled it correctly.

#4 ·
Kimber Solo

When you reassembled the pistol, I think you may have missed the barrel when you inserted the take down pin. Can the slide be moved back enough to get the take down pin out? If so then take the pin out then let the slide go all the way forward. Then put the Take down pin back in to catch the hole in the barrel. Remove magazine and cycle slide to ensure no rounds were chambered.

#10 ·
Solo

Sir:
Sorry you are having problems. My Solo mags are also sometimes hard to release. Try this: Push the magazine in (that's right "in") while, at the same time, pressing the mag release button. This works well for me and I hope it helps you too.;) Good luck and good shooting.

#11 ·
If you're sure it's not something you're doing then send it back to Kimber. There C.S. is good and you have a new gun that isn't functioning as it should. I traded my solo because I found it to be to small. Worked fine and was very accurate, just to little.

#16 ·
This may sound too simple to believe, but it worked for me..... When my solo was new, it had the same problem with super tight mags. Another solo owner gave me a tip to back off on the grip screws just a bit. If they are too tight, they will actually make contact with the sides of the mag and bind it up. From the factory, mine were tight enough to not only bind the mags, but they also left scratches down each side of the mag.

As for your feeding problem, my Solo has been better since it came back from Kimber, but I have no problems at all if I lock the slide back, then insert a full magazine, then release the slide lock to chamber the first round. Mine will still jam on occasion if I try to chamber the first round after inserting a mag and then manually cycling the slide.

You will find that you have less problems with new solo mags if you let them sit fully loaded for a week or so before use. They have very strong springs and allows them to loosen up a bit.

Good luck !

#25 ·
This may sound too simple to believe, but it worked for me..... When my solo was new, it had the same problem with super tight mags. Another solo owner gave me a tip to back off on the grip screws just a bit. If they are too tight, they will actually make contact with the sides of the mag and bind it up. From the factory, mine were tight enough to not only bind the mags, but they also left scratches down each side of the mag.

As for your feeding problem, my Solo has been better since it came back from Kimber, but I have no problems at all if I lock the slide back, then insert a full magazine, then release the slide lock to chamber the first round. Mine will still jam on occasion if I try to chamber the first round after inserting a mag and then manually cycling the slide.

You will find that you have less problems with new solo mags if you let them sit fully loaded for a week or so before use. They have very strong springs and allows them to loosen up a bit.

Good luck !
Not sure about your grip screw suggestion. There are no linear scratches on my magazines. I lost a grip screw and then tightened all of them up. Kimber sent me a replacement screw and I had it in three days. My grip screws are not long enough to cause the problem you described.

I have left the magazines loaded. It probably has helped the springs a bit. At last count I had put 450 rounds through the Solo and had no problems in the last 100 rounds.

#17 ·
The mag release is stiff due to a poor design. Rather than it pushing to the side to release it actually has to rotate up compressing the magazine spring under load to disengage the two prongs that hold the magazine in place. Just look down the mag well with a flash light pushing the release button and you will see. Mine had so much engagement that they were hanging up on the nose of certain types of bullets in the magazine causing feeding problems. Disassemble the magazine base pad insert and you will see what I mean. You can sand these prongs down a bit but be careful, too much and it will become a PF9. As for the slide not moving I think you missed the hole in the barrel link.

#24 ·
I won't comment on their design. I like the ambidextrous capability of the release. Now that I have 450 rounds through it is getting easier to release the magazine but is still a little stiff. Thanks for an explanation of how the release mechanism works, but I had that one figured out. It's easy to see this upon the first field stripping.

I'm surprised about the mag release cleats causing feeding problems but I've only ran about 5 types of ammo through mine. I've not had that problems.

#26 ·
The release is getting better/easier, but still stiff. To quote as slick/easy as your video clips. As I mentioned in an earlier response I make no comment on the design. Yes, it is a lubrication point and the Solo manual mentions this. Something like, " put a drop of oil on each side and work the release."

#20 ·
It is a design problem period. As RH45 stated not a issue with empty mags. This is because the follower spring is not compressed. The ambi button must compress already compressed mag spring further to release the two prongs from the two retaining holes in the magazine. I'm not a rocket scientist I just happen to work with mechanical systems everyday of my life and have the license to prove it. Did you strip the mag insert and have a look for yourself?

#21 · (Edited)
I have NO problems with my mag release, works just fine. I did lube it,
I have SGM grips that are a tad wider on mine, not sure if that makes a diff, no scratchs on my mags.
I do drop the slide to load that first round because that recoil spring is so hard to pull back.

#28 ·
Very timely post...since mine arrives today. I will follow the advice of others...and at least know what to be on the look out for....if I have similar issues. Seems every gun has it's own nuances?

#29 ·
Solo slide/magazine problem on brand new pistol

Same problems on first loading of 5 rds and attempting to chamber the first one. Can not pull slide completely back. It does release all the way forward. No round chambered. The magazine doesn't release. Now I have a loaded gun that can't be emptied. Back to The Gun Shop (Savannah, Ga) for a refund. I'm not going to "try" to make a gun work some way. I didn't buy as a pretty toy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.