1911Forum banner

Can anyone tell me anything about the Israeli Bul pistols?

35K views 21 replies 19 participants last post by  Peter Dawson 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm interested in finding out about the Israeli made Bul pistols, a modernized 1911. Basically it sounds like an updated, polymer-framed, hi-cap 1911, available in several calibers, somewhat akin in purpose to the Para Ordnance hi-cap 45's, but with a different design. One reviewer described it as a cross between a CZ and a Para, and that description really captured my interest, being a fan of both 1911's and CZ's, and wishing I could find a hi-cap 45 design that I liked.

It would be nice to know if anyone owns one, or has shot one, or if you think they would be a viable hi-cap .45 for use in combat, home defense, or competition settings. Are these things made pretty high quality? Are they accurate and reliable? What do they compare to?

Found a few other reviews and some info about it at these sites:

Main company site: http://bultransmark.net/

Home location: Tel Aviv, Israel

Leading US Distributors:
Charles Daly: This is very interesting to note, Charles Daly in the U.S. repackages these Bul pistols as the "Daly M5" on their site, here:
http://www.charlesdaly.com/dalym5.asp

* Combat Handguns mag review of the Charles Daly Bul M5

Some other distributors: Marstars in Canada, Legacy Sports Intl. in the U.S.

Other reviews and info:
http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/review/bulm5.htm
http://www.dawson-trading.com/Bul M-5 Products.htm

BTW, they have a VERY nice-looking commander M-5, built on a polymer frame, which despite the reduced size and weight, carries 14 rounds of 45 acp goodness!!! But still looks and acts and shoots (allegedly) like a real 1911. Height is about 5.3", overall length is 7.87", weight is 30.4 oz. Daly offers a version of this M5 commander here in the U.S., for $750 acc. to their site. And here's a page at Marstars describing their version of the M5 Commander, but this one's in 9mm. I like the fact that their line of pistols supports all 3 of the popular handgun calibers.

See less See more
#2 ·
A dealer friend of mine ordered in one of their compact carry guns (roughly Officer sized) for another customer. I was visiting his shop when it came in, and he let me handle it, then disassemble it. Nicely fit, well machined, looked like a real bargain for the price. A first-rate looking piece of kit, but keep in mind that I have yet to shoot one, so I can't address that issue.

#3 · (Edited)
Several years ago I had a Kimber polymer target that used the BUL M5 frame. Mounted a C-More to it and used it in competition. Won a lot of matches with that gun. :) It was quite accurate, minor extractor issue out of the box, easily corrected. Really well made, disassembled just like any other 1911, though to my hand it 'felt' more like a Hi-Power than a 1911... not a problem, though. I'm thinking about getting one of the Daly M5s myself.

#5 ·
Don't own one but shot a friends and really like it. Have to agree on the natural point of aim they show on their website. Only difference in feel was the wider grip for the 14 rounds. Easily controlled and very accurate shot-to-shot, especially for falling plates and various match scenarios where hi cap is helpful. I'm still old fashioned on polymer and prefer frames in steel but he's put a lot of rounds through it without any trouble.

#22 ·
Bul Reliability

Old thread but I thought I might reply in case anyone is thinking of picking one up second hand. Current production Buls seem to have been made out of unobtainium.
My first Bull M5 in .40, I kept detailed records of its performance. Had failures to feed in the first 3000 rds which I eventually discovered was because my projectiles were .003" oversize. Slide stop started jumping up around 8000rds. Dimpled it so that it wouldn't jump up. It ran without a single failure to feed or fire until I sold it to our Government(Australia) in the Great Gun Grab at 34,000+ rounds.
Replaced it with another Bul M5 that was by Government mandate .38 super. and 10 round mags. Put the slide stop and grip safety from the old gun in it. Haven't kept detailed records on this one. Changed it to .357SIG when we could use that in IPSC as a major calibre. When I shoot it overseas I convert it to .40 and Hi-cap mags. I would estimate is has now gone over 50,000rounds in the 3 calibres. Few failures attributable to ammunition or not having cleaned it for several thousand rounds. Still going strong.

No parts breakages in either gun. First gun I put an 18.5 lb Wolff recoil spring in it. When I surrendered the gun the spring was down to 16lb. Second gun has had springs swapped around with the calibre changes. Factory recoil springs were replaced from new with Wolff springs.

Peter

#12 ·
Magnum Research (owned by Kahr) imports a 1911 that is made by BUL in Israel. Not aware of any plans to resurrect the importation of the poly gun shown in the OP of this thread (2008).

Tavor now owns(?) the old Charles Daly facility in Harrisburg, PA.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

#15 ·
Tell them you see kittens, free healthcare, and Diane Feinstein turning from a turkey vulture into a swan....they might even let you run for governor at that point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.