1911Forum banner

Israeli Arms International M5000 1911

25K views 28 replies 18 participants last post by  Woolworth405 
#1 ·
I dont know too much about my new 1911. Its is a IAI 1911 M5000. As far as i have found, it is not a SAM gun. It's marked GAL on the slide. And it has the Star of David stamped inside the slide. So from my understanding it was made in Israeli not the Phillipines. I have heard they are much better build than the SAM pistols. I have had no problems with it so far. 500 rounds and no problems, and Very accurate. Please let me know of any other info you may know of.

#8 ·
The slides on mine are forged while the frames are cast, and yes, many of the internals are MIM, but for me, as usual when I purchase a 1911 I replace all MIM with Wilsons bulletproof parts.

That said, I've been running a Springfield GI with everything MIM and it's up to 8,756 rounds, with no issues with MIM parts.

#13 ·
There is one of these available

at a local dealer for $300. It was at the same shop for several months and I thought long and hard about buying it. It was returned because it didn't work right, but when we test fired it it did fine. I was thinking of making an offer on it and the info from Sousana makes me want it more.

#14 ·
at a local dealer for $300. It was at the same shop for several months and I thought long and hard about buying it. It was returned because it didn't work right, but when we test fired it it did fine. I was thinking of making an offer on it and the info from Sousana makes me want it more.
I trained people in the use of the 1911 for quite some time, as well as competed in IDPA, IPSC and many other handgun competitions, the one thing I've noticed with new 1911 users, is limpwristing, which will cause jams, and then they go straight back to the dealer, or to gun forums and complain about poor quality handguns.

The 1911 is not for part time shooters. It takes a lot to break it in, and a lot of knowledge on how to clear jams.

Go back to your dealer, dissassemble the M5000, inspect each part, put it back together, test fire a magazine of ball and a magazine of JHP that replicate the ball look, for example, PMC's Starfire 230 gr JHP, which is my carry round. Load the weapon and safe it, holding it in your left hand, seat it into your right hand and with a locked wrist, fire the weapon and see how she handles. If it handles to your satisfaction, buy it, if not, get you a Rock Island Armory GI basic for about the same price range.

Most beginners do get turned off when they learn 1911's require a break in period, for me it's the following:

1. 750 rounds of ball ammo
2. 250 rounds of carry ammo

Every 100 rounds I break the weapon down and lightly rub it off and lightly lubricate it with Wilson's Ultima-Lube. I do this until all the rounds have been fired, then take my baby home, break it down to it's individual parts, clean them, inspect them, and use Ultima-Lube on parts that need it and then the weapons good to go.

#15 ·
i handled on yesterday. I wasn't impressed. the finish was ok but the slide to frame fit was very poor. slide was very loose and it overhung the frame on the backside. barrel had too much play in it at in lock up as well. for the money I would say a springer gi is by far a superior gun by comparison.

#17 ·
LOLOLOL, I've got Colt's, Essex, Singer, Union Switch & Signal, Springfield, Safari Arms GI's that all fit that description, but that doesn't detract from their 2" groupings, which is combat effective.

If he's looking for a tac-driver, then I'm sure he'd be looking at all the myriad list of top notch 1911's.

If it works without hitch for him, and gives good accuracy, it's a good gun.

Bye the Bye, I've got one of the first imported Norinco 1911's made from solid railroad steel, it's shakes, rattles and rolls, but at 21ft, using TZZ match grade ammo, it consistantly gives me 2.03" groupings.

#20 ·
That's happened with any manufacturer. I had a Springfield TRP once that eventually had to go back for swapping out because of numerous issues. I once got a Colt that was lucky to shoot 5" groupings and colt eventually had to replace the entire slide which fixed it to some measure, they eventually sent me a replacement Gold Cup National Match in stainless, which shot sub 2" groups out of the box.

Now, the inspection is the most important part of a firearms purchase. When you look at a weapon in contemplation of purchase, you inspect it carefully, then tell the clerk your most likely going to buy it, but you want to dissassemble it to inspect it more closely, which is what I do on all weapons I purchase, if the clerk doesn't like the idea, I go to the store manager or owner, otherwise, I go to a dealer who will allow it. Take for example, I own 4 Norinco's, 3 of which are made with railroad steel, the fourth is not, but perfect. When I went to buy my 5th, it had the same issues you saw on the IMI pistol, you simply pass it up is all. I've seen some Citadels and RIA the same, and 1 AutoOrdnance, it happens, but a good inspection should catch anything, in his case, he's actually shot the pistol to his satisfaction, and that's really all that matters.

One time back in the early 80's I went with a friend and purchased an old Remington Rand 1911 that shook, rattled and rolled, my friend said pass it up dude, it ain't right, I still have her, and she still gives me sub 2.4" groupings.

#19 ·
Thank you for the info Sousana

I am not new to the 1911 platform but I appreciate your attempt to help out someone who might not be as knowledgeable as yourself.:) I also compete in IDPA, new to it this year, but I have been shooting one kind of competion or another for the past 20+ years. I currently have 6 1911's, two Kimbers, a matched pair of Tauri, a high upgraded SA Mil-spec and, my most recent aquisition, a Rock Island Comp Tac. You don't have to worry about me limp wristing, my other carry guns are Glocks in 40 S&W and 357 Sig.:) If you don't limp wrist those, you don't limp wrist. I have also owned a couple of Colts in the past that almost turned me off entirely to the 1911 platform. My reason for considering the M5000 is that it looks like a relatively well made gun and the finish on this one is pretty darned good.

#25 ·
General question

Hello all,

I am the founder of iai's son. If there are any questions please do no hesitate to ask. Please send me a message anytime and spread the word. I would like to change some of the misconceptions of my father's company and help with any parts requests or questions.

-Adam
Adam,

I own a GAL5000 stamped with the Star; this seems to be of great importance to many. The weapon fires as I need it to, when i need it to. However, I would like to have the front and rear sights updated. Is this modification possible and if it is to whom would you recommend perform the work?

Abraham

#22 ·
sousana i put in a IAI national match barrel bushing fron CDNN and my norc 1911 shoots clover leafs now thats not bad for a $300 1911. The slide is really loose too.:rock:

#27 ·
They look a lot like the newer Norincos.

#28 · (Edited)
Better late than never...

Greetings Earthlings! I'm the "new kid on the block", and I've had my M5000 GAL for about 5 years, and of the five 1911-style pistols I have owned, the Israel Arms is the best box-stock .45acp I have ever handled. Very accurate within reasonable handgun ranges and functions flawlessly. To me, it looks much like the Colt Delta Elite... except for the IAI price tag, which was about 50% less than the Colt. Of the five 1911-stlye pistols I have owned, I chose to keep my Colt Lightweight Custom Commander (9mm) because of its beauty, my Randall Service Model C .45acp for its collectors value, and my IAI for its fit, form and function. Pax...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.