1911Forum banner

Load data for 45 ACP with Universal Clays and 230 gr FMJ

19K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  CryingWolf 
#1 ·
Does anyone have a good load for 45 ACP with Universal Clays and 230 gr. FMJ? I have not been able to find much other than the one recipe on the Hodgdon site.

The Hodgdon site says 5.1 to 5.6 grains with 230 gr. HDY FMJ FP I think the FP indicates Flat Point which would seem to account for their 1.2" COL?

I started with 5.2 grains and worked up to the 5.6. Burns clean but definitely seem very light. They do cycle reliably through my Kimber Ultra Carry II though.

#2 ·
I don't have my reloading manuals with me but try these links out.
http://www.handloads.org/loaddata/default.asp
http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

I load 230 gr FMJ with 4.9 gr of Win 231. Both powders are similar in burning speeds and load within 1-.5 gr of each other.
I think Win 231 started out at 4.5 gr but I started out at 4.7 and got great results, though it was quite soft. I bumped it up to 4.9 and got a nice amount of recoil and really clean brass afterward.

#4 ·
Lee manual suggests 6.0gr Universal but Hodgdon suggests 5.6 max.

I am not using FP but you may want to use a caliper to measure the diagonal, flat tip corner to opposite case corner - doing the say with a cartridge that will feed, such as a FMJ.

Width and length are not the only contributing factors. Lengths can be as short as 1" to 1.250, depending on the bullet being used.

1911forty5

#7 ·
Thanks for the replies. I was reluctant to use 6.0 grains even though I have seen it published various places. The highest that Hodgdon lists for the 230 FMJ is 5.6 gr.

I just thought 5.6 gr. felt fairly light judging from the recoil and the distance the shells ejected compared to factory loads.

I do like how clean Universal burns and I have a good supply on hand since it is my powder of choice for 28 gauge skeet loads.

I am mostly concerned about generating excess pressure in order to achieve reasonable speed. Also, if I understand correctly there will be some loss of speed (maybe pressure too?) since I am shooting from a 3" barrel in my Kimber.

#11 ·
Is it an actual max load or just the highest load they published? Often you have to look at the PSI/CUP to see if it's a true max load. Most of Hodgdons Unique loads only go up to 11K-15K published loads. Nowhere near a max load.

#12 ·
I don’t know how much accuracy you need for this 3” belly gun :scratch:
But I worked up an accurate Universal load in my Kimber SM and a couple of Colt 5” guns

6.2grs. of Universal under a Winchester 230gr. JHP bullet, Fed LP primer and a COAL of 1.260” is very consistent.

This may be over the max in the Hodgdon manual but I see no signs of over pressure in my loadings.
I have seen even higher charge weights in other published data.

If this is a carry piece I might use some caution trying to over speed the cartridge in sub 4” guns.
Going to fast may upset the reliability in the short tubed 1911 gun.
I would not trade a few FPS gain in a 3 incher over rock solid reliability.
If possible I would chronograph some of the preferred factory defensive ammunition in the 3 incher that proves reliable and load to match that speed if possible.
Cyclic rate, recoil impulse and slide velocity seem to be pretty important to the short tube 1911’s

If in doubt stick to the Hodgdon max recipe or watch for signs on the cartridge as you work it up.
Seat long if you can, watch the primers and measure the cases for excessive case head expansion, especially if the chamber is unsupported.
You know, the usual rituals.
Good Luck :)

#8 ·
One of the reasons I need to pick up chronograph.

A good recipe with Universal for me is 5.4grains under a 230grain LRN bullet. Great accuracy out of my full size SA. I haven't tried them out of my 1991 colt commander yet.

#9 ·
I have used many pounds of Univ Clays. But with 200gr LSWC's. Good powder. Clean burning. But will leave unburned powder everywhere at lower powder charges. If this happens...bump the load up. Within spec of course. Unburned powder problem will go away.

#13 ·
Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys. I am new to reloading pistol ammo although I have loaded zillions of shotgun shells for years. Just bought the Hornady LNL and am very much enjoying learning to use it.

The pressure listed by Hodgdon for maximum loads with any of their powders and a 230 grain bullet is 17,200 CUP.

I have a borrowed chrono and it is reading factory UMC Remingtons at about 720 fps from my 3" Kimber. With a 5.6 grain load I am only reading about 600 fps and wondering if this is a problem. Very low recoil and no feeding problems and the empties land very close compared to factory. I am not necessarily looking for high velocity, just wondering if there is any reason why I should be loading closer to the factory loads or if there is any reason not to shoot such a light load.

I am seating to 1.255" and so far all the loads have cycled without any issues

As far as the accuracy, I am impressed - the 3 inch Kimber appears to much more accurate that I am.

#14 ·
I don't see 6.0 grains being a problem. It is good you have a chrono to barrow. If 5.6 seems a bit light then bump it up a .1 or .2 at a time and see what it does. Look for pressure signs etc.

The recipe I gave above, 5.4g with 230g LRN, could very much be slow with low recoil. They do seem to have a much lower recoil then factory loads. I don't have a chrono yet.

I think the whole point is really to start out with a round under the max recommended powder level then work your way up. Using a chrono and checking for pressure signs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.