1911Forum banner

Sti sparten as a target gun

5K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  TANKTREK 
#1 ·
Would anyone recommand a 9MM Sparten for Center Fire NRA Conventional Bullseye Work. I am thinking of buying one from Dawson Precision for that purpose.

Ron

#3 ·
I can't tell you the accuracy with factory loads, but my Spartan is very accurate with my reloads. I haven't sat and really tested them on a rest, but I'm getting a whole lot of A's shooting USPSA, so it must be pretty darn good!

#7 · (Edited)
STI Sparten as a target gun

I already have a .45 Colt that I use for the .45 phase of NRA Bullseye, it is just that I was looking at something which is a little cheaper to shoot for our club NRA approved Conventional Bullseye 1800s matches at 25 yards. The .45 as well as any other gun must be able to pull double duty both as a bullseye gun and a racegun.
I cannot afford to have center fire match specific firearms. The only exception is my .22 High Standard, I only use that for Bullseye work.
Ron

#8 ·
First off, don't get teh 9mm, get the 45acp since you will need that for the 45 portion of bullseye.

As for accuracy, I have a Les Baer 1.5"G and the Spartan and the Spartan will shoot as good in my hands. Here's a slow-fire target (off-hand, 50 yards, 10 shots).

#10 ·
Ron:

If you are serious about shooting bullseye, the cost different between 9mm and 45 over the long run is negligible if you find a local reloader or start reloading yourself. There is no reason to limit yourself to 9mm, especially because it won't help you develop as a bullseye shooter since there is a portion that requires a 45 caliber pistol. Virtually all shooters choose to use their 45 as their centerfire gun; the ones who don't choose a lighter recoiling load than 9mm, usually 32S&W or 32WC.

Get the 45, start reloading or go to a gun show and find a local reloader and get started shooting bullseye!

#11 · (Edited)
sti sparten as a target gun

epj

Thank you for your advice, I will think about.
What kind of type bullets did you, it looks like ball holes.
I used to be a very dedicated Bullseye shooter about ten years ago.
I had the following;
1) Caspian frame and slide .45 Wad gun
1) Dedicated Caspian frame .45 hardbull gun
1) S&W Model 52
2) S&W Model 41's
But my Ex got all of those in the settlement. So now I just do it for fun and to keep my NRA Classification card.

Ron

#13 ·
Considering factory 9mm is about half the price of factory 45, I say the price difference is anything BUT negligible..

If you want to shoot 9mm, shoot 9mm. Like you said, you already have the Colt for .45, the 9mm Spartan should get it done just as well as another .45..it's a little flatter shooting round I think so I don't see why it would be a bad idea..

Good luck on your decision either way..I had a .45 Spartan before my Brown and was blown away at what $600 could get you compared to some of the other brands out there charging twice as much.

#14 ·
None of the shooters you see at Perry will be using a gun other than their 45 for the centerfire stage, unless its a 32 Walther or something. What I'm trying to say is that the 45 is the hardest part of bullseye, and you aren't 'saving' anything my learning 3 different guns and triggers if you are serious about the sport. You will get farther faster by only learning two triggers, or some people would argue now even 1 trigger (1911 w/ Marvel Unit 1 conversion). So its like shooting the 22, yes it saves you a lot of money over the 45, but you HAVE to put those 45 rounds downrange. There is no substitute for putting in the time with that caliber.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.