1911Forum banner

Who makes the "best" inexpensive 1911?

98K views 116 replies 89 participants last post by  Hojutsu 
#1 ·
Who makes the "best" inexpensive 1911? Like less that $500.00
I'm in the market for a cheap carry.

#7 ·
An RIA would be fine, just remember "Truck" guns depending on where you live can rust pretty damn quick when you just throw them under the seat or in the glovebox.

Stick with a FS Rock, they have very few issues compared to the smaller offerings (which are the ones you really hear about folks having problems with) and you can often find GI and Tactical models sub-500. www.centerfiresystems.com Here's a great place to find them, some of the best prices on the web.

#9 ·
+1, I'm a CMC Power Mag fan, started buying them for 22 bucks from a guy at a gunshow who got a ton on the cheap and I've just never been inclined to branch out. A quality magazine is in my opinion the most critical outside component to a smooth running 1911.

#17 ·
My RIA is in transit to my FFL now. I think they offer great entry level 1911's and with the price of .45, if you aren't reloading (I am not yet) it is expensive enough! (For how often I shoot).

If these funds are determined for a 1911 only, I assume it is, that is what I would/did go with. I would also recommend either the Walther PPS or PPQ to anyone because they are less than $500 and offer very great quality for the money.

#18 ·
I have two Rocks

I have had minor problems with each but they both run well now. My Compact tactical had a broken slide stop but that was it. It eats everything except some of my handloads. I also a tactical in 9mm that I bought for IDPA and it hates hollow points but runs well with ball. I wouldn't carry the 9mm but I would carry the comp-tac.

TAURUS I am with Snowninja on this. I have two and I have not had a problem with either. They eat everything and shoot better than my 5 Kimbers and the other 1911's I have and have had.

#48 ·
This one. I would get the Glock first for your intended purpose. then after a few months, if you still just got to have that 1911, get the RIA. That is what I did. But then I got addicted and got the Springer. The addiction for 1911s kept going.

So in hindsight, get the Glock and STOP, before it's too late.

#25 · (Edited)
Agree on the Hi Point. They get a bad wrap, but I have put 3000+ round through my 9mm without one issue. Very accurate as well. American and great customer service/warranty. For the price you can't beat it. I paid $99 for a new 9mm about 5 years ago.

#30 ·
i've shot some different 1911's that belonged to club members. one that saw real european combat service during ww2 (i hope to get that gun in a few months), an ria and a taylor's (both armscor made in the phillipines), and an sr1911 (utah). it was a good experience. nothing beats the hands-on approach.

there are always some things to consider. each gun will have at least some uniqueness about it, and it should take any number of mag's run through to get to know 'em better, and the need to figure out the best ammo diet.

the upshot of my 1911 shooting experiences is that finally i'm realizing there is good value in those offshore armscor autos. nope, they're not the best 1911's out there, but they are worthy, serviceable guns for about the least dollars. i've got a good deal on a new taylor and in a week or so it'll be my first 1911. and there's at least two different other 1911's on my list ... :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.