1911Forum banner

pointman nine vs springfield loaded 9mm

28K views 39 replies 23 participants last post by  zenfly 
#1 ·
How do these two guns compare in accuracy and recoil? I would like to get the softest shooting and most accurate 9mm 1911 i can. What do you think of these two or what others would you suggest. All insights, opinions and real world experiences appreciated.

#2 ·
I can't answer definitively but I will point you to a thread custom gunsmith Dave Severns did which included the Springfield Loaded and the Dan Wesson Valor. The Valor is DW's flagship pistol but all of their pistols, in my somewhat limited experience, display similar accuracy. I do own a Springfield Loaded and some DW's -- Valor, CBOB, Guardian, CCO, and a Pointman in 10mm (just got it today). Keep in mind that accuracy tests are pitting a single pistol against a single pistol with certain ammo. Anyway, here's the link. Have fun: http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=321236&highlight=shootout

My Loaded model displays good accuracy for a "service" pistol but my DWs are more accurate in my unscientific use.

#6 ·
not trying to change your decision but I just got a STI Spartan 9mm with a 9 LB recoil spring in it and shoot light loads thru it and it is an amazing gun for the price. added pictures below, the front strap and frame finish has been done to the pistol and they do NOT come like that. I'm sure the Dan Wesson is much nicer and the loaded is just a bit nicer but the STI will cost much less and shoot just as well.

50 rounds at 15-20 Yards

#7 · (Edited)
Been debating a similar question myself. I have a SA Target in 9 but I have been considering a PM9. In comparing the SA against my three DW's, I think the fit & finish on the DW is better. As posted earlier you might consider a STI; however, I suggest that you will have to get up to the Trojan and above to compare with the DW and that comes from owning and shooting four STI's.

I have been looking at a STI Sentry in 9, as it is right at the PM9 price range.

But, these are my opinions and my opinions with $1.25 will get you a cup of coffee.

BTW, this is a STI Trojan HC in 40 S&W, the same gun is made in 9.

Here is a Sentinel Premier 45 HC and I don't think it is made in a 9. The Sentry falls between these two.

My apologies for wandering of course here. If you get a PM, post photos.

#8 ·
Hello 43074, Real world experience: I have both a Pointman 9 and a Springfield Loaded Target in 9mm, as well as a 9MM Kimber Target II. I have owned three Springfield 1911 type pistols, but the Pointman 9 is the first Dan Wesson of any kind I have ever owned. While both appear similar at a distance, the Pointman is far superior, IMHO, in the quality of the parts, the fit, machine work, attention to detail, etc,etc,etc. Internally, the Pointman shows eveidence of fitting and polishing by someone who understands how a 1911 type pistol should fit and function. I have never before encountered this on a production 1911 of any kind. It reminds me of the hand fitting I've noted on the Les Baer pistols I've owned. Now this may sound weird, but my DW does seem to recoil less than my other 9MM 1911s. Perhaps, due to the very precise and smooth fitting of barrel to slide to frame. I know that scientifically, with same weight guns, this is probably not possible, but that is my perception. I also have another, older, Springfield, a custom with a bull barrel. Recoil with the DW feels as light as the bull barreled gun.

My 2011 production Loaded Target is not in the same class as the DW at all. My Springfield, as received, had all kinds of issues, resulting in a gun that was unreliable with any factory ammo I tried, and was one of the two most inaccurate 1911 type pistols I can recall owning ( the other, believe it or not, was a Colt Series '70 Gold Cup purchased NIB back when they were in production).

I can and do recommend The kimber Target II. Over a period of time, three have passed through my hands. All flawless performers. Totally reliable and very accurate, for just a little more money than the SA Loaded Target I bought.

In fairness, the DW cost a lot more than the Springfield's approx. $900.00. Even so, for me, I see the DW as a better value for the money. My Springfield Loaded has now had significant custom work, to include a bull barrel. I have a lot more money in the Springfield than the DW. Very unrewarding. While it is now very accurate and reliable, it will never be as nice and as smooth as the DW, that was built right from the beginning, again, IMHO. I may very well purchase another DW, but have NO interest in another similar Springfield, no matter how much cheaper... ymmv

ps, I have handled, but not owned, a couple of different STI 9MM models. They appear to be very nicely made guns and a very good value for the asking price...

#9 ·
Thank you all for your thoughts, experiences and inputs. I have to say this is a great forum with not only helpful but also friendly members. I appreciate all of you taking your time to help me out. I kind of thought the dw nine would be the favored gun from the research i have done but, as pointed out, it is quite a bit more than some other choices. I am in no hurry to make a decision so i will check out the sti line and the kimbers. But i have to admit the dw, to me, really looks sweet and owners say it is a real shooter so right now it is at the top of my list. When i buy a gun i'll let you know and post some pics (if i can figure out how). Thanks again and happy shooting.

#11 ·
Hogue makes them, they are called Magrip Kits. they are kinda of expensive, $120, but if you think about it you are getting grips, MSH, and a magwell. These are the black and grey chainlink. these grips are the ones that come on sig scorpions, except they are green and have a different pattern.

#12 ·
KyJim thanks for the link to the Dave Severns pistol review. If i were in the market for a .45 i would take a serious look at the dw valor. That thing is not only beautiful but apparently a real shooter. I think it does speak to the quality of dan wesson pistols and makes me think the pointman nine would also be a high quality, beautiful shooter.

#13 ·
I've owned both; they really are great guns. They may appear expensive at first glance but once you start comparing apples to apples (parts to parts) you realize a true value. DW represents a very nice mix and balance of function & form to price. They aren't the only ones, but they're doing it better than most.

#16 ·
I bought my PM9 as a novelty for me now and as something to give my daughter someday down the road. I'll be damned if the thing has not won me over in a big way! The thing always finds it's way into the range bag! I don't know how it does it!

I have shot a couple Kimber 9mm. I have also shot several SA loaded pistols but never a 9. I have shot a couple mags through STI pistols as well but again, not a 9, and not enough to really form a strong opinion. I will be honest. Before this thread (and a quick google search after these guys peaked my interest) I never knew they were so cheap! Now I am kind of impressed!

This is my opinion: The DW will have the best trigger. It will be the most accurate. It will be made from the best parts. When you look at it under a magnifying glass it will be the most finished. It will feel like it recoils less because the slide frame fit just makes it smooooth. Combine that with 9mm recoil and it is just a treat to shoot.

The Kimber 9s I shot were nice. To be honest, if you shot a Kimber on Mon and a DW on Tues you wouldn't see a huge difference. But if you shoot the DW for a week and then shoot the Kimber it just won't feel right. It is hard to describe. You will just miss the smooth!

The same with the SA. Once I was intimitely familiar with my PM7 and started shooting my Dad's loaded, I just wanted to hand his back and go back to my DW. That was when I knew I was a DW nut. And his SA works great! It is silly for me to have such a bias but I do. I guarantee I could tell the two pistols apart after one shot blindfolded.

Buy the PM9. Cry over the higher pricetag once. Smile for life.

That is my 2 cents.

#32 ·
The Kimber 9s I shot were nice. To be honest, if you shot a Kimber on Mon and a DW on Tues you wouldn't see a huge difference. But if you shoot the DW for a week and then shoot the Kimber it just won't feel right. It is hard to describe. You will just miss the smooth!

This is a great analogy. I've tried many times in forums to describe the sometimes VERY subtle differences in various 1911's.

sometimes it is something you won't notice until you miss it

#17 ·
Thanks for the great write-up DWCoyote, you have covered all of the questions i had. I always like to hear when someone is pleased with their purchase and it sounds like you couldn't be happier with your pointman. This is really what i hoped to hear, that the gun is not just hype, but actually lives up to the hype! I am going to start seriously seeking a pointman i can see and hold in person ( even if i can't shoot it), and if it fits my hand i think i will purchase it. Thanks again to you and everyone who was nice enough to take the time to give advice to a fellow gun enthusiast! When i make a purchase i will be sure to post.

#18 ·
I owned the SA Loaded 9mm but sold it because the slide to frame fit was horrible. I own 3 PM9's now and all of them are super tight. Wonderful range gun. One of my favorite's to shoot.

#19 ·
BadOscar you sound like another satisfied pm9 owner! Just from the online pics i've seen it is a real looker and based on my feedback here it is a great shooter. I'll keep looking in local gun stores till i spot one in person. Thanks for the reply.

#20 · (Edited)
Really glad I found this forum and this thread in particular. I just started looking for a 9mm 1911 and had wrestled with SA, Kimber and then someone recommended STI. Saw a Spartan and was not impressed. I have also been thinking about a CZ Shadow single action target and while looking thru a CZ catalog tonite I saw the DW offerings and the PM9 caught my eye. Are they a true 1911 and do parts and mags interchange with normal 1911 parts? Will a Kimber .22 conversion work on it? I wish there was a dealer near me where I could heft one of these. Do they fit the hand like any other 1911? I've found a couple online for around $1500 so I guess that is the going price. Are they really worth the extra $500? How is their customer service and custom work availability?

#22 ·
Agreed that they are 'real' 1911 in terms of parts, fit etc.
I've never handled a Springer 9 but can't say enough good things about my PM9. Regarding DW customer service; I've used them on 2 guns (not my PM9 for the record). The service was top notch. I emailed Keith (DW president & forum member) and he addressed both my issues and went above & beyond with one of them. I could not be happier with DW service. The turn around time was insanely fast too; both guns were back to me in just shy of 3 weeks including transit time.

#25 ·
Bought a PM9 on GB. Should be here Thursday or Friday. It got down to a real toss up between the STI Sentry and the PM7. As I posted earlier, my STIs have been fantastic, but then so have my DWs. We'll see what the PM does and if it is good I may put my SA Target 9 on the block.

#26 ·
My 2cents ......
Sti Trojan in 9mm i like better than SA loaded.
Dont get me wrong,the SA is nice.
The Trojan is just more refined.
The DW PM-9,for me ,is the best combination of fit, feel, reliability,and accuracy.
I have the SA loaded, and like it. It's a 1911,hard not to like.
But my PM-9 is love. Hook,line,and sinker.
Get the PM-9!
Well....time for me to get some more cool aide!

#30 ·
I had the SA 1911 Target in 9mm. It was very relaible but the accuracy was very poor - the best "groups" were ca 4+_ inches at 50 ft after two trips to the factory. I sold the gun and replaced it with a Dan Wesson PM-9 - one inch ten shot groups at that same distance. My DWPM-9 has a tight chamber and I use the barrel as a case gauge for relodds.

#33 ·
Who has better long term customer support? Longer warranty? Easier to get warranty work?

DW seems to be 5 years, not extended to second owner. http://www.cz-usa.com/warranty/

Springfield seems to be lifetime, also not extended to second owner. https://www.springfieldwarranty.com/StartWarranty.asp

Springfield generally treats second owner just like the first, according to forum posts by others. And they have a really exceptional rep for honoring their warranty. Dunno how DW rep is... but stuff like this doesn't leave me confident about it http://www.bersachat.com/forums/showthread.php?3834-Learned-my-Lesson-about-Dan-Wesson

But I agree, the DW will have better fit and finish compared to the Springer, and a nicer trigger. Reliability will probably be the same. Accuracy maybe goes to DW.

Warranty, just a factor to consider.

#34 ·
The last new car I bought was in 2001, the salesman talked me into the extended warranty even though I didn't think I needed it. I take good care of my stuff and put 280,000 major trouble free miles on it before I sold it in 2010, it's still on the road today.
Just sayin... Quality build and routine maintanence speaks for itself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.