1911Forum banner

grip bushing problems

3K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Eagles1911 
#1 ·
hey guys, I dont know why, but i keep having to change out grip bushings. I don't over tighten them or anything, but when i go to change grips the bushings come out too and the threads are stripped. I replaced them all with wilsons and they have the same problem. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
Make sure the replacement bushings and the threads in the grip are VERY dry and clean (no oil)

Then use blue loctite on the threads of the bushing. Clean off all excess and let it set over night. Then reapply grips with a tiny amount of oil on the grip screw threads.

This will lock in your bushings and allow easy removal of the grip screws

This will work--- but only if you haven't stripped (or cross threaded) the threads in your grip--which is quite possible

#4 ·
thanks. i think il try the loctite and o rings. i know the grip screws and the bushing arent cross threaded because they come apart easily and correctly, and the bushings and grip screws work fine and go in easily but then like a month or two out when i take off the grips the bushing decides it wants to come too.

#12 ·
You are probably over tightening the grip bushings. Use loctite and get them snug. If you over tighten them you will strip them. I'd imagine the Wilson's are still a relatively soft metal- if the bushing material is too hard you'll strip the threads in your frame itself.

#15 ·
Crash has the right solution. They need to be staked. You can do this two ways, the traditional way which requires buying a staking tool or the easy way.

The easy way is to run the bushing in snug, then take a 1/8th. centerpunch, put the point on the joint where the bushing and frame meet and lightly strike the centerpunch with a small hammer just enough to move a little metal. This will hold the Bushing in place but not cause problems if you try to remove them later.

The other thing is to quit torquing down your gripscrews!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.