1911Forum banner

Murray State College Tishomingo, OK Gunsmith program

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  leade45 
#1 · (Edited)
Ive been in my current occupation for about 5 years now, I do OK financially and provide pretty well for myself.

But lately I've been thinking how much better it would be to do something I really like & enjoy vs. "just working to pay the bills"

All my life (I'm in my 50's) I've loved guns, I own more WAY than I need or can justify... I also like to reload. I've even considered trying to do a from-parts 1911 build up.

In my area (Dallas FT Worth) gunsmiths seem as rare as hen's teeth, most have a 3-6 month waiting list before you can even get work done. I've been thinking about trying to go back to school to become a gunsmith and "starting on my 3rd career" as I move into my later 50s and 60's.

Murray State College up in Tishomingo, OK is within long commute distance and I'm considering going there, probably part time. I think there may be a couple of schools which are closer, but Murray seems to have a pretty good rep as having a decent program and equipment and is one of the "semi-name" schools in the industry... I think with an associates degee or Certificate in Gunsmithing I would have the skills and knowledge of the trade down cold, as well as the "street cred" to get some job offers when I got out. Once I graduated I'd go the part time/on the side route, at first, then go full time later, perhaps eventually even start my own shop, maybe building/customizing 1911s.

I'd appreciate any comments or thoughts in general about this idea (am I nuts or what to even consider it?), and I'd like to hear any specific pro or con observations those with experience or information can supply about Murray State itself.

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
If you feel you have the inherent talent to work a mill, cut/form steel, etc than go for it. With good work you will be able to survive and prosper (as long as folks are able to buy guns in the future...).

Sounds like your passion is there and that is half the battle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.