1911Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Real Colt 1911??

4K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  dsk 
#1 · (Edited)
I just picked up a Colt 1911 and Im trying to do some research on the serial number cause it has a blank slide. Its stamped with colt on the barrel and frame. Its a .45 single stack. Serial number FR#####E. I cant seem to find any records of any serial number starting with FR. Is this really a colt 1911 or did I buy some sort of frankinstien?

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
Looks like someone removed the rollmarks or swapped slides on an enhanced model to me

#14 ·
What makes you think it's not a Colt slide?
the serrations look like xse serrations (same number, size and location).
the takedown notch looks like a series 80 (much further back than a series 70 and most other makers)

#13 ·
Thanks everybody for the info. Hopefully Colt will tell me what I have with out chargeing me for there backround sheet. Im going to have some trigger work done to lighten the trigger pull, I'll have them look it over to make sure if any work was done, was done right.

#15 ·
The slide most likely had the markings shaved off. Colt's rollmarks are usually so light it's not hard to do.

#16 ·
Ok, just got off the phone with colt, (great cust service) they told me it was a 2007 xse gov. model 80 in a .45. So either it was special ordered with no markings or was removed. But its not a frankingun so im happy about that. Thank you everyone for the help.

#18 ·
Ummm, somebody at Colt's got their records screwed up. Your pistol is stainless steel, which is a material, not a finish. You can't blue stainless steel in the ordinary sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.