1911Forum banner

Black Ops and/or Tactical reviews?

20K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  reedfry 
#1 · (Edited)
Howdy,

I've read the lengthy thread on one poor experience w/the Tactical model, though it seems to be looking up. Anybody else have hands-on w/either of these guns? I still have a bunch of 14 and 15 round mags from the old days to use w/them, plus I love the looks and options available on these models. I'd love to hear of some additional experiences w/these models in particular.

Also, of interest, I hear the Para mags can also be used in the RIA hi-cap guns. Yes?

#2 ·
I love my Tactical it was defiantly worth the wait and price. I know the thread you were talking about with the dissapointed 14.45 owner(s). I *was* one of them, since then i received three new magazines yesterday in the mail thanks to Travis Tomasie.
If you have any questions about the Tactical let me know. I hope to take it out and shoot it today.

#4 ·
1000 rounds of FMJ 230

This is rapidly becoming my favorite pistol, 1911 BLACK OPS Limited
Product Code: SRX845SO
Caliber: .45 ACP
Capacity: 8+1
I am impressed with the ease of break-in and the ease of use. I would recommend this pistol for just about any purpose.

#5 ·
I've decided on a Tactical and Black Ops, both in P14-45. Travis was very instrumental in making that the right decision. He went way beyond the extra mile. Just by putting him out here, Para is showing the will to take care of business. I'm very much looking forward to delivery. If they handle and shoot like they look (And like my old Para's did.), we'll be in great shape. I believe that'll be the case.

I'm taking donations for the cause. Cash is always good. Anyone? Anyone at all?

#8 ·
So far my Black Ops have digested everything I've put through it. All 230 grain Remington UMC FMJ,Golden Saber's, WWB, PDX1, Ranger T's standard pressure, and American Eagle.

3 jam's. 2 was with Ranger T with a Checkmate mag, same round and same location round 6 stove piped.
3rd jam was a failure to return to battery on round 266 of 267 for the day. I limp wristed.
My brother and I was danceing tin can's at 20 yards consistantly and didn't do to bad at 25 with WWB.

As for Travis, he does go beyond the call of duty.

#9 ·
I have a 14.45 Tactical that went back to Para USA twice before I ever shot it. The right ambi-safety malfunctioned both times (I am left-handed and bought the weapon to carry while on duty as a deputy sheriff). After the second time Para replaced part or all of the safety. I put 250 rounds through it (with approximately fifteen to twenty FTF's) and noticed the left ambi-safety is now wearing the finish off of the receiver. The weapon is currently back at Para USA for repair.

The weapon is scary-accurate. It feels and handles like a dream. It is exactly what I was looking for...except that I bought my weapon in early-January and still cannot sufficiently break it in, let alone qualify with and carry it.

I chose the Para over the STI Tactical (I live approximately fifteen miles from STI headquarters) because 1) I wanted a steel-framed double-stack 1911, and 2) Para has been making double-stack 1911's longer (the longest of any manufacturer, I believe).

While the weapon feels and handles like a dream, and is spot-on accurate, I am becoming quite frustrated. I spent what I feel is large amount of money of a factory (albeit with aftermarket parts) weapon that Para cannot seem to get to function properly. Furthermore, their customer service representatives seem to be somewhat ambivilent regarding my frustration and the fact that this is the third time the weapon (which is, basically, brand new) has been returned. The standard response seems to be, "Yeah, we received it. It's scheduled for service."

I guess this is standard for the company. It is frustrating for me.

Reed Fry

#10 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I have almost the exact same story, except I also prefer Para's because mine that I bought back in the day worked and ran great and I still have a bunch of mags (That, and I'm P.D., not S.O.). I've spoken w/Travis and he assures my satisfaction. He says things are taking a serious turn for the better, w/more of that to come at Para. I have other guns to rely on, so I'm giving them the chance. What can I say: I'm an old-school loyalist. I also believe, as I said elsewhere, the Para's are way too good to let them die. Just get 'em right!

We shall see.

Thanks, again.

#11 ·
Yeah, I also have other weapons to carry on duty...it's just frustrating to shell out the cash, get excited, and have to wait over four months...and still waiting (in fairness to Para the weapon did spend two weeks at Dawson Precision, as they're local and my agency requires night sights on duty weapons).

I know of one other owner who had trouble with the right ambi-safety. He posted a review on youtube.com, but I forget his website name. If interested, you can go to youtube and type Para PXT 14.45 Tactical into the search field and should be able to find his video.

Most of the guys I work with that carry double-stack 1911's carry STI, as they are local (I work in Williamson County, Texas). They love 'em! I hope I can, eventually, say the same about my Para Tactical.

Enjoy your new weapon.

#12 ·
Update for cls414:

Okay, I sent the weapon back to PARA on Friday 03/30/12. I clearly explained in the RA (return authorization) form the ongoing problem and requested PARA either refinish the receiver or replace it (I didn't care which).

I received the weapon from PARA today with a packing slip stating the grips had been replaced (I have no idea why). My problem has not been addressed. The weapon was returned in the exact same condition I sent it (except for a bunch of oil around the problem area). Of course, PARA test-shot the pistol without cleaning it, so I will have to clean it before returning it for the fourth time.

Sooooo...my next plan of action is to return the weapon, ask to speak with a supervisor, question why my problem was not addressed, and question why the grips were replaced , and question why absolutely no communication whatsoever was provided as to why PARA replaced the grips but did not address my problem (nor communicate to me why they chose this course of action).

They did not communicate that I should just have to settle for unsatisfactory parts and/or workmanship. They did not communicate the reason for replacing the grips. The only thing I received was an invoice stating the grips were replaced (again, I have no idea why).

As I stated in the RA form, this is not buyer's remorse. I really want to carry this weapon and have fun shooting it. I simply expect more from a company that, according to its literature, prides itself on providing reliable and exceptional products. I expect more from a company than, "We replaced the grips." The grips were not the complaint...or part of the problem.

I hope you're right. I hope PARA changes its customer service and product service policies quickly.

I hope you are having better luck!

#13 ·
It was bad CS that drove me to sell my Para within four months of owning it. I know that not every pistol off the line is a Cadillac, but to not stand behind your product and support the owner is unacceptable. Travis T has been doing a lot to help the owners, but he should be focusing on selling the product through competition results, not through handling customer complaints. Ever since their move to the US, their quality seems to have been going down. Such a shame.

#14 ·
Thanks for the update. I'm clear on the complaints w/the guns. Most seem to be magazine related and something w/the right ambi-safety, along w/a few others. I hate you guys are having/have had trouble, but I'm going to give it a go. I'm old(er), wise(r)???, and patient. I want to see the Para work, especially w/all the extra hi-cap mags I have. As stated, I've been told the QC is taking a nice step forward in the very near future. I'll give them a chance to prove themselves to me. My past experience w/them; the way the gun fits me and shoots; and the options/equipment package for the money all lead me to give them another shot. If it doesn't work out, we'll go from there. "Don't take a gamble you're not willing to lose" comes to mind. It'll be an interesting ride.

#16 ·
Travis,

Thank you for the reply...unfortunately I was unable to open it as the forum website told me I don't have authorization.

Please email me at reedfry@gmail.com, or my work email at rfry@wilco.org and I will promptly reply (gmail is better as I only check my work email while on duty).

Thanks again for responding and I look forward to talking/communicating with you to resolve this matter.

Thank you, also, for you're efforts. My understanding is you are a professional shooter that represents PARA and not a PARA customer representative (of course, all representatives of companies should be customer representatives). Still, I am grateful you take the time and interest to help customers that have difficulties or are experiencing frustration.

Thank you again,

Reed Fry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.