1911Forum banner

HP 9mm Manufacture and Finish

4K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Pollux 
#1 ·
Bought a slightly used HP 9mm the other day. Slide and frame aren't marked "Browning" per se but "FN HERSTAL" and "Made in Belgium" is on the left side of slide. Left side of frame is "imported by FNMI Columbia, SC, USA.
Is this a real Browning? Also tell me about its finish. It is not blue or parkerized but appears to be a epoxy paint of some sort. What gives? Other than the finish, I'm happy. Thanks.

#2 ·
Browning does not manufacture firearms, never has. They have imported FN products since the days of John Browning (who was working for FN until his death).

FN has manufactured the real deal since day one. Browning had US distribution rights since the mid '50's, hence, the "Browning Arms" rollmark on the slide. Several years ago FN's US subsidiary FNUSA (also known as FNMI)began importing Hi Powers specifically aimed at the law enforcement/ military market. They are identical in every way to the Browning HP's. Note that FN/Browning Hi Powers have been available off and on with a variety of finishes and grips.

In short, all Browning Hp's are FN's, not all FN's are Browning.

After several years FN made the decision to only import the HP through Browning (which is owned by FN BTW).

Yours is as real as HP's get.

#3 ·
HP Browning Finish

Dogtown Tom:

Thanks for the info but, the question remains what type of finish is applied to this pistol. Like I posted earlier, it appears to be a "paint type coating" rather than a blueing or parkerizing finish. Thanks.

#6 ·
HP Browning Finish

No it is not the matte blue or bright blue finish. I neglected to say I also have a Browning HP in .40 S&W in a matte blue finish. It is more like an epoxy paint finish as described by "HunterShooter." I'd like to have the piece bead blasted and then have a proper matte blue finish or hard chrome finish applied to it. What'd ya think?

#8 ·
Based on your description, I think I have a similar model.

Mine was made in 2002 (511MY) and says "Fabrique Nationale Herstal Belgique" on the left side of the slide, and "FNMI", "Columbia, SC, USA" on the same side of the frame. I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, that this one was one of the first models to have the SFS system, as I had never seen another one with it, and that's what attracted me to it when I first saw it.

As you describe, the finish on it looks like some sort of paint and it clearly differs from the matte finish found on other MKIII models which looks smoother and more eye-pleasing, still I've found it to be very durable.

#10 ·
Browning HP Finish

Pollux: You're on the right track. Sounds like your HP is finished like mine. And yes it is a 511xxxxx serial number with the same slide and frame markings.
Just curious if these pistols were finished this way to cover up some kind of flaw in the metal work. I'd like to bead blast mine and have it blued or parked but, I may not like what I find under the baked on epoxy paint. Maybe I should just leave well enough alone. What'd ya think??

#11 ·
M1Shooter said:
Pollux: You're on the right track. Sounds like your HP is finished like mine. And yes it is a 511xxxxx serial number with the same slide and frame markings.
Just curious if these pistols were finished this way to cover up some kind of flaw in the metal work. I'd like to bead blast mine and have it blued or parked but, I may not like what I find under the baked on epoxy paint. Maybe I should just leave well enough alone. What'd ya think??
Now that the Practical has been discontinued, there are only two finishes available: polished blue and black epoxy. MKIII Hi-powers have never been available in "matte blue". It seems that newer MKIIIs have glossier paints than earlier guns, which is probably why your .40 cal looks like matte bluing in comparison.

The epoxy paint is applied on top of parkerizing. The resulting finish is much tougher and more corrosion resistant than bluing. It's your gun but personally I wouldn't refinish it. If you like the polished blue look, just sell the gun you have now and buy a blued version. It'll probably cost your less money that way and FN's factory bluing is of very high quality.

#12 · (Edited)
I'd leave it alone

M1Shooter said:
Funny that you think that way. When I purchased the pistol, I thought the same thing. Since the gun came with the SFS system, I wondered if it had been installed by a company other than FN, and that the finish had been applied to cover any flaws on the steel. However, the sales rep told me that it was a factory installed feature (?). Anyway, I thought of having it hard-chromed, but the finish has held up pretty well so far that I haven't bothered having it refinished. It's my favorite shooter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.