1911Forum banner

ATI FX 45 Titan

297K views 710 replies 135 participants last post by  Ribcracker 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi All:
Picked up an ATI Titan today. I'm impressed with the fit and finish on this pistol (very nice)! Everything is tight and there are no machining marks. The slide to frame fit is very good! Trigger pull is excellent with no creep and a crisp break at about 4.5 lbs! It came with one mag, made in Italy (ACT-MAG). Have not hit the range yet but maybe tomorrow.

If there's a down side, it's that I can't take the recoil spring out! Unlike Kimbers, this has no tool for the two-piece guide rod on a busingless bull barrel. I've ordered a nylon one that is used for "Kimber Ultras" in a hope that it will work here. The instruction booklet is silent on how to remove it, covering only removal for the full-size pistol with bushing. The only other notable thing is that it was in a sealed plastic bag and covered in thick oil. Good! Will report on range results.:rock:

Figured out the recoil guide rod. It just lifts out! No need to compress the unit.

I went to the range and fired three different brands of ammo, Federal, Blazer, and TULA (all 230GR FMJ). Had several FTFs with each brand. Also, the slide failed to lock back several times with all mags used (ACT-MAG and two Chip McCormick mags with "Shooting Star" followers). It didn't happen all the time and seemed to be less toward the end of my range time. I fired about 125 rounds. I'm going to assume the malfunctions relate to breaking in the pistol. We'll see how things go next time.

See less See more
#411 ·
Well I finally cured the last problem with this darn micro 1911. They are not for the faint hearted !!!!

I had the slide stop locking the slide back during shooting. This was caused by the tremendous recoil that these tiny 1911's generate. The solution was to cut a small channel into the slide stop so that it would capture the slide stop pin and hold in place until pushed up by the magazine follower on an empty magazine. The trick is to make the channel deep enough to function well but not too deep as to not move when hit by the mag follower. So it took several trips to the range for testing as I cut the channel deeper and deeper.

Today, it fucntioned perfectly ..........NO accidental slide lock backs !!

I have put close to a thousand rounds through my SS bull barrel Titan and the cut out in the slide for the slide stop is starting to peen back some. This is the price you pay for using sub-grade steel ........... something that plauges the phillipine market. I doubt this pistol will last 5,000 rounds, but you get what you pay for...............and for now I will enjoy this cheap version micro 1911 until it gives up the ghost.

JF.

#415 ·
Hi there! I'm new to this forum and the 1911 world also. I have recently bought 2 of the ATI's Titans in ss. Overall we (wife and I) like the guns. For only spending <$600 on them. Since we've owned them we've had issues with feeding especially hollowpoints. I've replaced the slide stop/take down levers. The wifes gun had issues with locking open after every round. On inspection I have noticed that the levers are cast and not machined. So I replaced them with STI's machined one. Worked good! On the advice of "my gun guy" (we call him Chief (ret. AKC)) I replaced the big recoil spring with one from Kimber. Again a good decision. After a little research and all the postings here on this forum, I've learned that the original spring weight was 15#'s and now the Kimber one is 18#'s...but I still like it, cycles good. I did try a 22# one earlier, but it seemed to cycle too fast. And after trying it, I find out that using that heavy of a weight is only good if you use "hot" loads. NOW, after cleaning the other day (and more polishing), I noticed the spring cups/reverse plugs are coming apart! The half shoulder that keeps it in place is tearing off. I've only had them in both guns for 50 rnds. But here's the strange part, my wifes gun has 100 LESS rnds than mine and hers is 2x's more damaged than mine. And my gun was the only one that ran the 22# spring mentioned earlier. I do have new ones coming from Colt. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this happened or has it happened to anyone here?? Also, with the new Kimber springs they are a touch longer so I've noticed that the ejector isn't as exposed as before, so I've ordered new ones by Wilson Combat. Hope that goes well. Let you know what happens.

I read a post from someone asking questions about magazines. I've been using the standart Colt style of metal base plate mags 7rndrs. I have been using X-grips mag spacer/extension. Works better than advertised! It "slides", with some force and maybe a hammer, and has tabs at the bottom to hold it in place so there is no coming off while carring a spare. Plus its such a tight fit that there is no movement or pinching while shooting like the Glock and Springfeild fans complain about. They make extensions for the 7 and 8 rnd mags for the officer model 1911's. I have big hands so this helps alot. There is also this part towards the rear of the extension that is actually a provision for if you want to add a lanyard loop to your mainspring housing, but when removed from the gun, it has these 2 sharp prongs. Can't feel them when the mag is in the gun, but it could act as an "ice pick", incase you need some ice while hold up during the zombie apocolypse....just saying.

I'm posting some pics of our guns. Note: This is just the start, as more mods get done, more pics.

Thanks for the time, and any comments/suggestions are welcomed good or bad.

Attachments

#417 · (Edited)
Hi I'm new to the forum. I purchased a new ATI Titan last tuesday and ordered/installed a Colt recoil pushrod and spring as suggested. I took it to the range and this happened.

Less than 50 rounds down the pipe. I'm disappointed to say the least.
Well...I can tell you that that is definitely not due to your Colt recoil spring assembly! I'm rapidly being convinced that the quality of these ATI's is seriously lacking...

#425 ·
Mine is at ATI now for warranty repair. The barrel fit to the slide was horrid and the gun wouldn't pattern to save your life. Like about an 8 - 10" group at 7 yards. Muzzle was wandering around in the end of the slide. Once it's fixed, I'll likely trade it right away. Mine has also battered the slide in the slide stop notch. Metal seems to be way too soft.

#426 ·
I thought about sending mine back to ATI for a new barrel install (see earlier in this thread about the link carrier breaking off the barrel itself for those who are going "what???) I found out from the FFL dealer I bought it from, that the distributor he get them from has a lifetime warranty and will replace the gun for free...period. So, I will be getting a new Titan Stainless in a week or so, hopefully without the barrel issue :)

#428 ·
Same here, at least the recoil assembly. I also have a rear sight laser if anyone is interested, PM me

I thought about sending mine back to ATI for a new barrel install (see earlier in this thread about the link carrier breaking off the barrel itself for those who are going "what???) I found out from the FFL dealer I bought it from, that the distributor he get them from has a lifetime warranty and will replace the gun for free...period. So, I will be getting a new Titan Stainless in a week or so, hopefully without the barrel issue :)
Dont tell me, Davidsons in AZ? They replaced my Titan also. and I sold it still in the bags. Glad to be out from under that one. So far my Springer hasn't missed a beat!

#434 ·
Well, I shot about 100 rounds through it. I had a few stove pipes and light strikes early on but the last 40 rounds or so I had no issues besides shells hitting me in the forehead. I know the light strikes were do to the titanium firing pin and heavier firing pin spring that I put in it. I think it's starting to break in though. I think I will replace the ejector too. It seems like cheap metal and wore down to the point the shells were smacking me. Otherwise I like it. I had some great groupings after I felt like it started breaking in a little... or it was just me getting use to it. I don't trust it enough to carry it yet, but I hope I can get it there.

#436 ·
I did it myself a couple of days ago and ran about 20 rounds thru it...works good! I was worried about the "slide stop" at the end of the slide, but with the use of the Colt reverse plug, it doesnt seem to bother it and doesnt overtravel. I'm going to the range here in about an hour, so I'll have more afterwards.

#440 ·
I have a feeling you're going to call them again if you shoot that thing very much. Look at the web thickness in that corner. It's VERY thin and a real weak spot. And a pretty sharp corner to boot. I fit a Kimber plug to mine, and yes it sticks out the front as well. But it's much more robust, especially in the critical area.

#448 ·
I've taken my Dremel to my slide and removed the material that was there "causing" the problem of having to use that goofy half shouldered reverse spring plug. I'm currently using the Colt Defender one with the ATI guide rod and a Kimber Ultra spring.

I have about 150 rounds thru this set up and have NO issues! Gun runs flawlessly. Yes, it sticks out the front a tic more than what was stock and you can see the guide rod recessed. But the spring is what is keeping the guide rod centered for it to cycle properly. So far so good! I'm really happy with the results. My next upgrade will be to drop in the whole guide rod and spring plug set up from a Kimber Ultra.

So to date I've done: polished the feed ramp, throat of barrel, slide rails, breech face, contact points of barrel, and the frame ralis. Swapped out the ejector with one from WC. Swapped out the slide stop lever with one from STI. Dremeled the slide to accept a "normal" spring reverse plug. Swapped out the factory outer recoil spring with an 18# Kimber Ultra spring. And put a dab of locktite on the screw for the guide rod.

#450 ·
Yes that is true...to a point. My goal is to be able to use any other spring plug/guide rod set up out there on the market. The school of thought is that the basic design of the factory set up is not very good. Having only half a ring/shoulder weakens the overall strengh of the plug, you're gonna half to replace it again due to the seperation.

I did confer with my "gun guy" and compared his slide to mine before I started the project. He runs a Springfield Micro. He agrees with me that this whole set up just may be a result of cost savings, hence one of the reasons why the gun is so cheap. ATI spends less time on doing the original machining of the slide, cut some corners, and able to market a gun that is more affordable. Again, I have about 150 rounds thru the gun since I've done the "upgrade". I'm not saying its THE answer. I'm just trying a different route to see what happens, but so far so good. I do pull it apart about every 25 rounds and inspect it with a magnifying glass. I wish I could use and electro magnet and some metal dust to find any crack that may incur, but it being mostly stainless steel, its tough.

BUT, my wife has the same gun and I did just fix the plug from a Colt Defender to fit the factory set up of the slide. Sort of a side by side comparison of which design is gonna work the best. But with that said, if I made a mistake and MY design doesn't work I have her design to fall back on. She's getting another gun, due to weight issues.

#451 ·
I did confer with my "gun guy" and compared his slide to mine before I started the project. He runs a Springfield Micro.
So let me ask you this...Does the Springfield Micro run the same bushing as the Defender? Kimber? or is it a different design than either of these?

I guess my concern is that with the gap between the flat of the front of the guide rod and the bushing, the spring might pop out during rapid fire conditions.

I've sent an email to George Smith at EGW to see if he can reproduce the modified Colt bushing except shorter (same as the ATI) so that it can just drop in but is made out of a stronger steel with no gap between the guide rod and bushing. I have even offered to mail him my cracked ATI bushing to duplicate. I don't think the ATI design is "flawed" so to speak. I think it is more that the material (crap) they use can not handle the stress. When grinding/filing the Colt bushing I found it to be very hard stainless steel...much better quality than the ATI bushing's material.

#452 ·
Email from George Smith at EGW

I received the following email from George Smith at EGW in regard to the ATI Fatboy/Titan reverse recoil bushing:

"That style plug always breaks at that location. Every time. Inside square corner.
Not a shock

The collar style plug is stronger.

A full circle plug, mill the slide and solder on a key would also be stronger.

That is a SHORT gun. Not sure if the 2 spring system is working on it?
And you must be sure the entire spring fits in the plug and the rod fits flush.

If the spring stacks at all the plug will be killed instantly.

geo"

-I'm questioning him to see if he can supply a custom length recoil spring guide rod that will fit with the Defender bushing leaving no gap...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.