1911Forum banner

G.Wm.Davis Leather

12K views 31 replies 21 participants last post by  mike merkler 
#1 ·
Do you have any Davis leather? How is it performing all these years later? I still wear a belt that he made for me 35 years ago and have at last 4 holsters that receive regular use and are as good as the day I picked them up at the shop. One of the belts I wear has some stitching that has worn out and I'll get it stitched up at the shoe makers. I recall getting this particular belt at a combat shoot down in Mexico in the early 80's and it has been worn a lot.
How about you?

#3 ·
I have an old Davis rig, and a couple of mag pouches, that are still going strong.

#5 ·
I am wearing A G WM Davis belt right now My father passed along to me because.... Well it was no longer his size. He wore it daily until it no longer fit and he passed it along to me. I had his canted Liberty holster for a while too until he requested it back. The belt has some wear, but for being purchased in the mid to late 70's and being worn daily for many years is has held up quite well. I have often thought of retiring it and buying a new Davis leather belt. But this one is still doing its job well. Maybe it is a bit worn and not as stiff, but I can still carry a full size Springfield GI in a Roy's Original Pancake (another 70's era hand me down). Or it also works with my Crossbreed Supertuck. No complaints! I perhaps may have to purchase one of my own as this one may someday not fit me, but the 100$ they request for their belt or holster is money very well spent in my opinion.

#6 ·
In my case, lets see now ..... the belt cost something like $65-70 in 1980 $, and here we are how many years later? Ummmm 65 divided by 35 = damned cheap?! And I'll be wearing my Davis leather for more years so at some point he may have to pay me? <gg>
Last time I talked to Gordon he was sounding good/positive but was down on one knee with diabetes. Still he was working on a new inside the pants holster for the 1911 and said he's send me a prototype for T/E.
He did some great things for shooters and is/was a pretty decent shooter himself.
Semper Fi
Rocky

#9 ·
Roy's Original Pancake (another 70's era hand me down).
Guess I'm showing my age, but I well remember when I bought my first holster in 1975. It was made by Roy Baker. The "Pancake" holster was quite "radical" at the time..... Some years later I personally watched him put the finishing touches on an OWB "Pancake" holster for Ruger P90. He didn't have the holster finished when I arrived at the scheduled pick up time so he finished it while I was watching. Super nice guy. :) I traded off the P90 many years ago, but didn't have the heart to get rid of the holster.

#12 ·
Posted on the front page of the Cedar Ridge Saddlery website.

Over the last 35 years I have had the privilege to work with and learn from some of the best craftsmen in the leather industry. My last mentor and good friend, Gordon Davis, taught me how to build and design holsters at a master’s level. John Bianchi once told me that Gordon was the best holster craftsman he had ever known. Gordon and I worked side by side for six years. When he retired in 2006, I bought all his equipment and patterns and now carry on the Davis Leather tradition.

#15 ·
I think we touched on this on a thread last fall. If I recall correctly he was under the Cedar Ridge Saddlery name, but is transitioning to the Davis Leather name. He has incorporated the horse shoe in the logo from the Cedar Ridge Saddlery into his new Davis logo.

You are correct though, the two websites are nearly identical.

#16 ·
If I'm not mistaken, that horseshoe is actually the Omega symbol that Gordon used for years before he sold out. He is also a member of the Thor/Omega Group and designed a holster specifically for members of that group and it had their unique symbol embossed on the side of the holster....an Omega pierced by a lightning bolt. You can see that symbol from time to time and was shown in pictures in Chuck Taylors book on combat handguns.

#18 ·
To add to the confusion there is also Davis Leather Inc in Kuna Idaho.I bought me a new Ruger SR22 and could not find anyone who makes a custom holster for it as its a new gun.Well he has the Blue gun to make em and made Ruger some for the shotshow.Was a pleasure talking to him on the phone.I should have my new holster in a week.He makes em for other new rugers as well.Just another option.Check out his web site.

#24 ·
A year or so ago I got a couple holsters, a belt, and two mag carriers from Dave. He's a real gentleman. During the order we got a mix up and he sent me mag carriers with a loop through design, rather than the clip I requested. When I mentioned it, he immediately turned around two additional mag carriers at no charge. Only after I pressed him did he accept payment for the additional mag carriers (I kept the original ones because they are damn fine). But I couldn't get him to charge me for both - just one. He's a real pleasure to do business with.

#25 · (Edited)
I have a bunch of gear made by Gordon. He and I were friends in the 1980s, and I convinced my department to switch over his duty holster. I wore his holsters in training and off-duty carry, and had 3 different color belts made for my suits when I made detective. I last saw him at the SHOT Show in Vegas years ago. Wonderful guy.

#28 ·
Some younger fellow on here is now using my old Davis Duty Holster for a 1911. Sold it to him when I retired. He was amazed at what great shape it was still in.:biglaugh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.