1911Forum banner

Best 1911 Frame

21K views 21 replies 20 participants last post by  JamesCo 
#1 ·
Who do you think makes the best frame to do a build on?

#12 ·
In 1998 we wanted a new bridgport, we had 2 at the time but I wanted a new tight super duper mill. A new Bridgport was 12,999.00 OUCH! it was cast over seas and well I could not stomach it. I ended up with a Chaviler mill. ISO 9001 machine, Sony digital Mag scale read out that reads .0005 or .0002 depending on how you set it. With a power feed on the X the machine came in around 7500.00 The ways are hardened and ground. It has way covers and if you peek under it is Perfect! in 2007. We use it too! Today Bridgport is no longer, they went bankrupt. Harding bought the assets including ones that were in Taiwan, this put to rest the "rumors" that the machine was American.

Today we have Sights coming in from China, Bomar is sadly gone. who will make an adjustable rear sight ASSEMBLY for 35.00 ( and make a profit at that number) I think no one.

Today one of the players is bringing guns slides and frame in from the Philipines, and slides and frames from Korea. Others are Using too.

Today Several brands of magazines are coming in from Italy, 3/4 of one aftermarket seller I know parts are soursed over the pond.

I can call Gary Smith or Amy or Tarah or Seth, I can talk to Scott, i see them support the sports. There frames are soursed from our shores. there machines come from Ca and Ct. there work force wears Flannel shirts and ride motorcycles and shoot and hunt. Regular people is what I take them as.

A bridgport costing 2x as much might be hard to swallow. it was for us.

A frame costing even or 10.00 or 20.00 bucks more? If the part was exactly the same would seem a good thing. I would support them with my dollars because of who they are and what they stand for.

Caspian listens too. there product continue to improve over time. They make them right where they are so it is easy to integrate feedback from Gunsmiths like the ones that frequent here and it shows.

After all the above, I really Like the product. The slides are far straiter than Colt and Springfield (brazil by the way) could ever be in there dreams. The parts are not induction hardened, they are hard throughout.

There is a reason that Caspian is the Industry standard for custom guns, Lots of good reasons.
Great people
Great products.
Great materials sourced here.
machined here. (100% not 80%off a boat)
They stand behind there stuff if it ever comes up (we have Never replaced a Caspian frame and our audiencs shoots much ammo Kemosave)
They support the shooting sports.
I get to vote with my dollar I vote Caspian.

geo
chief bottle washer EGW inc.

www.egw-guns.com

#13 ·
George-

I understand your vote with the checkbook attitude, and I am with you. While not a frame or slide I have used quite a few of YOUR good old made in the USA parts and vote with my checkbook for EGW as well.

Thanks for the hard work!
Mark

#19 ·
I only have one custom built from the ground up on a frame and slide. The project took years to specify and complete. The finished pistol wears my wife's name and birthday as a serial number. Since it has my wife's name on it, it had to be the best it could be.

The slide and frame were made by Caspian.

#20 ·
Thank you Mr. Smith

I learn when you type.

FWIW, my custom 1911 is Caspian.
Yesterday I wore a Caspian T-shirt.

My only failing as a shooter; I am a Caspian snob.

I noticed when Mr. Vickers was looking for frames-n-slides he, too, chose Caspian.
Still, apparently.

#21 ·
I agree with George wholeheartedly and dont beleive I could have said it more eloquently. I have had many many beginners ask me for advice when building their first 1911, I always have and always will point them towards Caspian. You cant beat Caspians options, With sight cuts or without, Plunger tube attached or DIY, Cocking serrations or without, Frame/slide pre-fit or DIY, Frame cut for BT or DIY.
A beginner in this endeavor could not make a wiser choice than the Caspian route.
PS Caspian and EGW are two of my favorite vendors when bulding a 1911.

Chris Williams AKA BLindhogg

PS James, you can buy cheaper frames but unless your prepared to buy all the tools (Plunger tube installer) (BT jig) it might be cheaper to buy the caspian the way you need it if this is your first build.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.