1911Forum banner

trigger pre-travel or take-up

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Hermo Gut 
#1 ·
the trigger on my 1991A1 has close to 3/16" of pre-travel or take-up, what's the best way to remove the take-up?

#2 ·
The best way would be to buy a trigger with the built-in takeup adjustment...and overtravel adjustment as well. You'd have to fit the trigger shoe to the trigger way in the frame, and fit the stirrup to the grip safety. There are other ways to do this but they aren't much easier than the new trigger route.

Bob

#4 ·
Trigger Pre-travel Take Up

New - 2 - 1911

The best way to eliminate this "pre-travel take up" is to adjust the sear spring (middle arm) a little bit so that it compresses the trigger bow by an amount you might want.

Changing the trigger with over travel screw doesn't fix this ( over travel screw means "post travel take up of the trigger").

I would advice you though not to over bend the sear spring middle bow cause this would add force to your trigger pull. Just my 2 cents.

Hermo Gut

#5 ·
Hermo Gut: Putting more pressure on that center leaf will only increase the weight of the takeup, not get rid of it. It'll still be there. In fact, if the trigger bow is really short, bending that leaf will probably have zero effect, but only in case of a really short one.

#6 ·
Trigger Pre-travel Take Up

Bob Brown

You're right ! Adjusting the center leaf of the sear spring would not eliminate the slack. I have it confused with trigger movement before the slack (loose trigger movement).
I stand corrected.:)

Regards ,

Hermo Gut

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.