1911Forum banner

My First Alloy Gun

3K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Rick McC. 
#1 ·
I have been shooting 1911s since my Army days in 1964 and at present have a large collection of 1911s. I have never owned an alloy framed 1911 before. I was talking to my Son in NY the other day, and he was telling me that he has a LNIB Colt Defender with the 100yr rollmark that he wanted to sell to purchase an AR15. So it seems like I will be shipping his FFL my SP1 AR15, and he is sending me his Defender. From what I have read they are pretty well liked as a concealed carry piece.

#2 ·
-congrats on the great luck and SON !!!

-ive carried an '86 LWCommander since new [45acp]

-due to severe back pain i went out and bought a '12 defender [45acp]

-i have been fortunate to report 00 malfunctions of ANY kind [aprox 2k rds]

-being your potential defender is the 100 yr rollmark...a beavertail grip safety may be in order...i am a little younger than you [army 80], i feel i need the 'edge'...i am unclear which GS is on the '11 defender

-CCS will be happy do do this for you...but again you may prefer the GS installed

-i use an OWB holster and US manufactured ball ammo...Winchester silvertips for carry...that may be the reason of zero problems

-i have noticed some of the problematic defenders have 'poorly' ramped barrel
chamfering [both lower and to the side]

-i am completely satisfied defender customer...bought 'new', sight unseen thru an internet broker...Trust my life with her completely

-perhaps if Colt introduced the defender in '86...my back would be in tip top shape LOL LOL

-please keep us in the loop guy ;)...GOOD LUCK !!!

#3 ·
I think the .45 Defender is one of the more "forgiving" little .45 ACPs and this includes the Glock 36, KAHR and S&W. I started with a Detonics back in 1984 I think and have owned a bunch. Mine is a 2002 and I have had no problems with it since about the first 50 rounds or so but it isn't the alloy frame, it is the length of that barrel I think.

#4 · (Edited)
LW Colts are the best carry gun, especially for long days.
I have 7 LW Commanders and they are, IMHO, the greatest all day carry 45acp alive.

If you want a fine all day carry go LW, if you want a range gun to shoot many thousands of rounds a Combat Commander may be even better.
My Series 80 Colt LW Commander just finished two weeks ago.

#5 ·
Well I got my Defender from my Son and it sure is pretty where in lies the problem. I had wanted the gun for a concealed carry piece to replace my hefty steel framed Officer model .45. The Defender has the 100year rollmark and is in new condition. I hate to mess up a potential collectable by carrying the gun. I feel like tossing the Colt into the back of the safe and forgetting about it. The kid says I'm nuts and just put the thing in a holster and use it which is what I will probably do.

#7 ·
i carry a defender, an older one. it has had zero malfunctions, however it has a bad habit of wanting to throw the front sight. last time it did i staked the crap out of it and it has stayed on for the last few hundred rounds. can't see from the picture but i think yours is dovetailed.

#8 · (Edited)
Yes mine has a front dovetail. My kid sent it back to Colt, and had night sights installed. The next time you have to re stake the sight put some loc tite on the tenon. That usually works to keep it tight in the slide.

#15 ·
Hey Rick: Taking it to the range on Tue. and if it shoots ok I'll start packin it. Guess its time to retire the Officer model, even that little gun feels heavy now. Hope to see you at the range one day........Lew

#18 ·
Lew:

I hope so too!

I'm planning to go Tuesday (I was there today sighting in a new SR22P) to IDPA practice in the back with Andy and the gang; but the wife's on vacation that week, so my plans may get changed (hope not).

The last time we were talking about meeting up; she came down with a really bad bug, and I had to stay home.

Anyway; practice usually runs from 9:AM - 11:AM.

Take care,

Rick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.