1911Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who owns this forum?

4K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  LW McVay 
#1 ·
Curious.

#2 ·
Whoever it is they registered the Domain name through a company called Domains By Proxy which has an absolutely HORRIBLE reputation for hiding bad guys.

Companies often register by proxy or anonymously to hide the true owner for privacy reasons but they could have used a better company or even better their real information. There really is no legitimate reason to hide yourself.

It's probably some egghead at Wilson who thinks they know IT and made the call since no one else had a clue. That's how it usually happens, even at huge companies. Even better they registered at GoDaddy so ya...some real pros at the wheel.

#12 ·
Whoever it is they registered the Domain name through a company called Domains By Proxy which has an absolutely HORRIBLE reputation for hiding bad guys.

Companies often register by proxy or anonymously to hide the true owner for privacy reasons but they could have used a better company or even better their real information. There really is no legitimate reason to hide yourself.
That isn't entirely true. We also use Domains By Proxy for privacy and security.

#5 ·
Err... Dave? Anyway, someone that is involved in Law enforcement. As much as I love this forum and continue to visit it day after day, only one amendment is welcome and it's not the 1st.

I may get banned for this one. If so, you guys have been great and I'll start from scratch with a different IP and unsername.

#6 · (Edited)
Err... Dave? Anyway, someone that is involved in Law enforcement. As much as I love this forum and continue to visit it day after day, only one amendment is welcome and it's not the 1st.
That's how it usually works with privately-owned forums. The 1st Amendment gives you the right to start up your own website and make your own rules.

The admins were also briefly introduced to the new owners, but I honestly know nothing that the rest of you guys don't and honestly don't care. I never really knew the old owner either.

#11 ·
Hope I didn't offend anyone. I didn't mean to.

I'm sure there was not much thought about it and/or a lot of sweet talking by GoDaddy about "keeping your privacy".

Anyway I didn't mean to insinuate that there was anything nefarious going on or anything. It just looks bad to those who look you know? Not so much for a forum but from a business standpoint.

BTW Kokopelli I use that quote of yours ALL the time now so you can go ahead and start charging me for it :) People just look at me funny most times anyway.

#13 ·
No offense but why?

You have a brick and mortar store with your name, address and phone number right on your Website. Why would you pay those clowns to hide what is readily available information? Especially when you could just list a monitored E-mail address or generic "IT Manager" as a contact by yourself for free?

The whole idea of registering by proxy is so people cannot find you. Often times it is large companies who do not people showing up at the corporate office and raising a stink. More often however it is, shall we say, less than reputable businesses hiding there whereabouts.

A legit business has no reason to hide. Especially if they already publish complete contact info online and with the local telco!

#23 ·
You are not a customer as you have paid for nothing to be here. You are in fact hiding behind an internet identity and are asking a non-pertinent question trying to "out" the owner of this forum - the owner that provides a free forum for folks to voluntarily come here and discuss different aspects of the 1911 Pistol as well as other firearms related subjects to include 2A politics, tactical situations, training opportunities, a classified section for sales and another for 'want to buy' requests.

All of it free of charge.

Did you want to see his IRS tax information as well? Perhaps his birth certificate, college transcripts, voter's registration information, etc?

Sorry, this is a non starter and largely irrelevant question. Especially coming from someone who refuses to identify themselves in a public setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.